Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Kent wrote:Grab wallet. Open wallet to credit card slot.
Pull out credit card.
Go to favorite hardware website. Sometimes printer manufacturers have a great clearance section.
Pick the printer that meets your needs
Click buy now button.
Wait for box to arrive on front steps.
Open box. Set up new printer.
Print to your hearts content.
Recycle old printer.
Get back here and thank me.
Of course I am holding that out as a last last resort, the last resort being a System Restore. I've already started researching printers. But this was an expensive printer and is only three years old, so it hurts. Stay tuned.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

khayes

Post by khayes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Kent wrote:Grab wallet. Open wallet to credit card slot.
Pull out credit card.
Go to favorite hardware website. Sometimes printer manufacturers have a great clearance section.
Pick the printer that meets your needs
Click buy now button.
Wait for box to arrive on front steps.
Open box. Set up new printer.
Print to your hearts content.
Recycle old printer.
Get back here and thank me.
Of course I am holding that out as a last last resort, the last resort being a System Restore. I've already started researching printers. But this was an expensive printer and is only three years old, so it hurts. Stay tuned.

Ramon
If it makes you feel any better, a few months ago my laser printer quit working. Like you, I tried many things - nothing worked. So I bought a new wireless laser printer. When I was getting ready to swap it out, I discovered that my little grandson had switched off my old printer. It was working all the time. Anyway, I kept the new wireless one and donated my old one.
Ken

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm

On the few occasions I have used System Restore it has worked very well indeed. The only irritation was one occasion when it restored the folder structure of some of my files.

(It's worth mentioning that I always partition my hard drive into a system/program drive and a data drive.)

I've listed what I would initially check in an earlier post.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Let's make it more fun...how about getting a flash drive and booting up linux...will it print in linux? If so your windows registry is messed up...

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Let's make it more fun...how about getting a flash drive and booting up linux...will it print in linux? If so your windows registry is messed up...
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. But I'm tech challenged. Asking me to "Get a flash drive and boot up Linux" is like asking me to explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity. :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Ramon Amira wrote: ….

Ramon
The button option for the test page proved that the printer itself is working. Its just a (insert expletive) windows (insert expletive) up. Totally frustrating. On the other hand lets all remember how lucky we are that we are not working on windows support. Fixing that stuff for a job has to be soul destroying.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
MessyTendon wrote:Let's make it more fun...how about getting a flash drive and booting up linux...will it print in linux? If so your windows registry is messed up...
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. But I'm tech challenged. Asking me to "Get a flash drive and boot up Linux" is like asking me to explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity. :D

Ramon
Yes, but did you try the low-tech stuff that I and several others suggested? Like using a different usb cable and checking to make sure each end is properly inserted, etc.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 am

Shoot me a private message Ramon, I am determined to get those La Bella strings :)

I'll need you to be specific about the error messages you get. I don't think installing new drivers is going to work or help, it will only make you waste time for nothing.

Don't do a system restore, the problem is likely hardware or very basic software configuration.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I have tried the low tech stuff, the slow tech, the go tech, the pro tech, and the no tech. Nothing works. I have not replaced the USB cable - I don't have a spare right now, but I have unplugged and replugged it. Anyway, since the printer prints out a test page and a configuration page, it wouldn't seem as though there is anything wrong with the cable.

I will copy any "Error" messages I get and report those as verbatim as possible. I'll still wait on a System Restore, since trying to do a System Restore on Windows Seven is an exercise in masochism. It can't be done. When I had Windows XP - the best OS (hey - I used some tech jargon!) I ever had, here's how you did a System Restore. You click on "System Restore" and a calendar pops up. Click on whatever date you want to restore to and BING! two minutes later you have a perfect restore. A seven year old could do it.

Fast forward to Windows Seven. Click on "System Restore." Message: "Select an event." Huh? What? An event? Well, let's see - the Beatles' reunion? Barbara Streisand's seventeenth farewell tour? My upcoming birthday? What the hell does that mean "Select an event?"

So I call HP Tech Support - this was when my computer was still under warranty - now if you want tech support it's $8000 an hour. So I ask HP Tech Support to please do a System Restore for me. "No problem, sir, coming right up." Forty-five minutes later - I swear I am not making this up - HP Tech Support cannot do a System Restore on Windows Seven. Oh well . . . . . I'll try it anyway out of desperation if all else fails.

Be back soon - I have to go practice my tremolo version of "Three Blind Mice."

Ramon

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Hmm...a system restore is an action that make no sense at all in your case and in my opinion. And yes, I work in this business including customer support.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:43 pm

andreas777 wrote:Hmm...a system restore is an action that make no sense at all in your case and in my opinion. And yes, I work in this business including customer support.
Curious why you think that. The printer was fine until the FedEx Firefox plugin seems to have caused a problem. It looks like it changed something. The printer itself continues to function as the test page still prints out. To me this seems exactly like the kind of scenario restores are designed to help in? (Although as always making sure you have a current back-up in case it goes horribly wrong. :-) )

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

simonm wrote:
andreas777 wrote:Hmm...a system restore is an action that make no sense at all in your case and in my opinion. And yes, I work in this business including customer support.
Curious why you think that. The printer was fine until the FedEx Firefox plugin seems to have caused a problem. It looks like it changed something. The printer itself continues to function as the test page still prints out. To me this seems exactly like the kind of scenario restores are designed to help in? (Although as always making sure you have a current back-up in case it goes horribly wrong. :-) )
I have Online Backup - is that good if something goes haywire? Although with Windows XP I did numerous System Restores over a long period of time and never had anything whatsoever get changed or go wrong.

Ramon

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:I have tried the low tech stuff, the slow tech, the go tech, the pro tech, and the no tech. Nothing works. I have not replaced the USB cable - I don't have a spare right now, but I have unplugged and replugged it. Anyway, since the printer prints out a test page and a configuration page, it wouldn't seem as though there is anything wrong with the cable.
Ramon, the problem is that you don't say, in detail, what you have and haven't tried from the various suggestions that I and others have given (and exactly what the outcome was). This makes it extremely difficult indeed to give further suggestions.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:I have Online Backup - is that good if something goes haywire? Although with Windows XP I did numerous System Restores over a long period of time and never had anything whatsoever get changed or go wrong.

Ramon
I certainly wouldn't relying on an online backup. To me the idea is just crazy - though I accept that some people to use them.

I backup to external hard drives.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm

simonm wrote:
Since my first PC and printer in 1985 -- an IBM PC with 8088 cpu and and an IBM proprinter -- I owned so many PCs and printers (matrix, ink, laser) with all operating systems starting at DOS 2, there was never a need to do a system restore. Maybe I'm wrong, but for me it seems that not all checks have been done and options tested yet.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Return to “The Café”