Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 pm

andreas777 wrote:…..
Since my first PC and printer in 1985 ... but for me it seems that not all checks have been done and options tested yet.
I think you are confusing what someone with 30+ years experience from dos onwards can do with what a "normal" user can do. With your experience it is probably second nature to poke a round in the registry and do a little fix here and a little fix there. Most users today (myself included) would damn near get a heart attack when they even find out that such a thing exists. If you have an image to roll back to it is likely far quicker for the average user and business. There is a huge industry based on array based snapshots as well as on various continuos replication technologies. I am also convinced that it is a screwed up setting, but finding out which setting is not simple.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 pm

simonm wrote:
andreas777 wrote:…..
Since my first PC and printer in 1985 ... but for me it seems that not all checks have been done and options tested yet.
I think you are confusing what someone with 30+ years experience from dos onwards can do with what a "normal" user can do. ...
No problem, I can only offer my help. I work in one of the big global IT companies and I help (non-retail) customers with their software problems (not PCs and Windows but some bigger computers) every day. I often have to develop a strategy or give guidance to customers with limited skill.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:Is it worth trying a System Restore to an earlier time?
it's the first thing I do. That's what it is there for. It won't change any of your documents. Only sets your pc back in time till the date you choose. Normally your pc makes a system restore point everytime you boot correctly.
That's why I advice people to really shut down the PC regularly (like at end of the day.)

you've tried enough now to justify a system restore. just pick a date just before the trouble began.
Best regards,
Richard Frank

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 pm

riemsesy wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:Is it worth trying a System Restore to an earlier time?
it's the first thing I do. That's what it is there for. It won't change any of your documents. Only sets your pc back in time till the date you choose. Normally your pc makes a system restore point everytime you boot correctly.
That's why I advice people to really shut down the PC regularly (like at end of the day.)

you've tried enough now to justify a system restore. just pick a date just before the trouble began.
While I wouldn't argue with the drift of what you say about using System Restore however whether it solves the problem isn't guaranteed (it depends on exactly what is causing the problem) - but it is worth a try.

However it isn't correct to say that Windows 7 (which is what Ramon is using) sets a restore point every time you boot. In fact it only sets restore points when, say, a critical Windows update happens or when software is installed, etc. (It is still a very good idea to fully shut down the computer at the end of the day IMO.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. Here's what I have done so far:

Disconnected the printer USB cable from printer and computer, and then unplugged both the printer and computer from the wall outlet.

Reconnected everything. Checked connections for all the way in.

Printed a test page both from the computer and from the top of the printer - both print perfectly.

Checked the status of printer - it is selected as the default printer.

Checked Properties - It says:
Status - Needs Troubleshooting
Status - Printer: Error

Tried to Troubleshoot - Says: " Error Occurred While Troubleshooting - A problem is preventing the Troubleshooter from starting."

Tried to click: Send directly to printer. Message: Printer operation could not be saved. The requested operation is not allowed when there are jobs queued to the printer. Went to "What's printing" Nine jobs in queue - obviously my attempts to print a page.

So I can't change the setting to "Send directly to printer" because of the queue, and I can't clear the queue, and I can't Troubleshoot because some kind of error is preventing that, and there's no point in changing the USB cable since it works perfectly, and I don't feel like buying a new printer because this one was around $500 two and a half years ago.

Also tried "Windows Updates," was informed there were 72 updates waiting, clicked on "Download Updates," twenty minutes later the progress bar had been working furiously back and forth, but the progress report read "Percentage of download completed" - Zero - "Number of Updates downloaded" - Zero. I took that to mean it wasn't downloading. Tried again - same thing.

LOL - Next - A destined to be futile attempt at a System Restore.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Ramon, delete the print jobs. You shouldn't need to use trouble shooter to do that. just click on the job in the queue and choose "delete". (might be a right-click mouse menu or a menu choice in the dialog box).
Because it is Windows, if you succeed in deleting the jobs in the queue, REBOOT your computer before trying to print again.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Try this:-
Go into Windows Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printer
Delete everything with .SPL or .SHD after it (you will need to provide an Administrator password).
Restart and try printing.

As for the Windows Updates, there was an "update to Windows Update" a few months ago that you need to have installed first in order for Windows Update to work correctly. Get it here: -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... st-version

Scroll down a bit for the Windows 7 one.

I hope this helps...

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Ramon,
Here is what I would try.
Uninstall printer.
Use a free deep cleaner uninstaller like " IObit uninstaller"
Then reinstall printer.
Next, I would download a free version of IObit "Driver Booster" (you can get both IObit programs from their site)
Run the Driver Booster program. It will automatically detect if you have out of date drivers. Just follow the prompts to update the old drivers on your computer.
Check printer. If it is still whacked out...?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Ramon Amira wrote: Tried to Troubleshoot - Says: " Error Occurred While Troubleshooting - A problem is preventing the Troubleshooter from starting."
Did you google that error? I did and here's a webpage explaining a process to try:
http://www.askvg.com/fix-an-error-occur ... -starting/
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks to all - I will try everything above and report.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 pm

I wonder if you have the problem shared by thousands (millions?) of people who upgraded to W10. My printer won't print anything and it's because of a well-known problem with W10. Apparently I have to uninstall the printer and re-install and do a few other things. MS causes me so much frustration and work I should charge for my time.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 am

Never upgrade windows until you have to :) Proverbs...something...

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:07 pm

HAH! HALLELUJAH! Guess what? System Restore worked. It's a miracle that the system restore actually completed successfully, which it rarely does with Windows Seven, and even so there was hardly any assurance that that would fix the problem. But as I said, it has fixed many problems in the past, which is what - as Simonm pointed out - is precisely its purpose. Just that Windows Seven System Restore is a disaster as opposed the perfection of Windows XP System Restore, but I got lucky.

I have learned one thing about my printer - it can print out flawless blank pages.

Many thanks to all for all your unstinting help.

Ramon

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:?... It's a miracle that the system restore actually completed successfully, which it rarely does with Windows Seven ...... Just that Windows Seven System Restore is a disaster as opposed the perfection of Windows XP System Restore, but I got lucky

I've used System Restore a few times with Windows 7 and have never had any problems ....
that is, I never had any problems after I realised that the antivirus I had been using blocked changes to the boot files and that, in turn, prevented System Restore completing. (The solution was to turn off "boot protection" in the antivirus - do the System Restore - then re-enable the antivirus "boot protection".)

So it might well be that you System Restore failures you had experienced were due to your antivirus software, rather than Windows 7.

Congratulations on solving the problem.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 pm

JohnB wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:I have Online Backup - is that good if something goes haywire? Although with Windows XP I did numerous System Restores over a long period of time and never had anything whatsoever get changed or go wrong.

Ramon
I certainly wouldn't relying on an online backup. To me the idea is just crazy - though I accept that some people to use them.

I backup to external hard drives.
I don't know why you would think that online backup is "crazy." It's way safer than using an external hard drive for backup. With online backup your files are safely backed up on super servers, that are also ultra secure. External hard drives can fail, you can forget to back up, and even if you remember, it's still a PITA. And if you get a new computer you can just download all your files straight onto your new computer, and if you accidentally delete a file you can download any given file from your online backup. The bottom line is that your files are forever safe, both from loss and from theft. What is crazy about all of that.

Ramon

Return to “The Café”