Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Kent

Re: Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Post by Kent » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Actually, the best thing you can do is both!
Back up to the cloud and back up to an external hard drive. Better yet..two external hard drives!

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
JohnB wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:I have Online Backup - is that good if something goes haywire? Although with Windows XP I did numerous System Restores over a long period of time and never had anything whatsoever get changed or go wrong.

Ramon
I certainly wouldn't relying on an online backup. To me the idea is just crazy - though I accept that some people to use them.

I backup to external hard drives.
I don't know why you would think that online backup is "crazy." It's way safer than using an external hard drive for backup. With online backup your files are safely backed up on super servers, that are also ultra secure........
It depends on what you want from your backup, the size of the drive you are backing up, the speed of your internet connection and whether your internet account has a monthly cap. Not to mention that you are wholly reliant on having a working internet connection, etc, etc.

There are two reasons to backup:

A) So that you can restore files that have been deleted for some reason. The cloud is probably OK for a few individual files, but would you really want to restore, say, 500GB of files over the internet? Really?,

B) The other reason I do a backup is so that I can restore my System drive should something really bad happen. In the worst case scenario It might be that my computer can't even boot up properly, or it can't establish an internet connection, or the internet is down. How on earth does a cloud backup help you then? Even in a less drastic situation, can you really restore your complete System drive from a cloud backup?

Myself, I partition the hard drive on my computers and have one partition for the System and Program files and a second partition for all my data files and e-mail, etc. I only need to backup my System drive (or partition) when I install new software or make other changes, and I can restore the entire System drive from a HDD backup without affecting the data on my Data partition. (I have two backup HDDs for extra security and use Acronis backup software.)

As far as my Data drive us concerned I maintain a mirror on a NAS drive (actually a HP Microserver), with a number of generations (current, last week, last month, last quarter).

IMO relying on a cloud backup will give a totally false sense of security.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 pm

Well, sure - each to his own needs. I couldn't possibly do all that tech stuff, nor do I need to. If all my files were lost, no matter how many, even 500GB, I just call up the company and they would download them for me onto my computer while I go watch a movie. The backup is automatic, so I do nothing whatsoever, never even think about it, and am happy and secure in the knowledge that my files can never be lost.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 am

You should celebrate and send me some low tension rectified La Bella strings :) hehehe

Actually now you ought to consider an SSD drive as a secondary boot...you can put the latest version of windows on that...and boot to the older version later if you want.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 am

MessyTendon wrote:You should celebrate and send me some low tension rectified La Bella strings :) hehehe

Actually now you ought to consider an SSD drive as a secondary boot...you can put the latest version of windows on that...and boot to the older version later if you want.
Oh, maybe I should try that when I get a desktop, to minimize the risk of Windows 10 somehow screwing everything up. A few months ago, the anniversary update (which I only got to get the bash shell) somehow resulted in an endless loop of the MSI logo screen on my laptop... Checked the BIOS, some settings were all over the place. I still have no idea how Windows 10 pulled that off. I learned my lesson and haven't updated since...
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:20 am

MessyTendon wrote:Never upgrade windows until you have to :) Proverbs...something...
I'm truly astonished how many seemingly sensible people have, in the past, rushed to upgrade their computer whenever there is a new Windows operating system. (Yes, you guessed - I am still on W7.)

It is also a bit of a scandal that retail buyers who use bricks and mortar shops have been forced to buy PCs with the latest version of Windows whereas more knowledgeable people have been easily able to buy PCs with Windows 7 pre-installed through online suppliers who cater for the business market. (Alas, Windows 7 is only supported up to 2020 so buying a Windows 7 PC now makes less and less sense.)

(I really don't like the W10 idea of being forced to accept rolling updates.)

Sorry for going off topic - I'll get off my hobby-horse now.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I did want to clarify/understand something. I don't entirely understand what "Cloud" backup is, but I think it's different from an Online Backup service, like the two largest - Norton Online Backup, and Carbonite, Carbonite being the better of the two.

Both automatically backup all files as they are created and save them on their servers. The user does not have to do anything, or pay any attention to it. And they are always accessible for you to download - one file or all, and, if you wish, the service will download it for you to your computer.

So there is nothing to think about or do, just go about your business, and in the knowledge that your files are safe. Is Cloud backup the same as this. If not, maybe this is better than Cloud, which might require some work/attention on your part.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help in getting my printer working again. I've donated the strings to the Fund for Indigent Classical Guitarists.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Ramon,
I also use Carbonite, and love it.
But I still recommend a local back up to a couple flash drives or an external hard drive.
Files are gold

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Ramon Amira wrote: I don't entirely understand what "Cloud" backup is, but I think it's different from an Online Backup service, like the two largest - Norton Online Backup, and Carbonite, Carbonite being the better of the two. ….
Most of the time "cloud" is marketing jargon. Your online back-up service if it was being marketed new today would be called a "cloud back-up". Cloud is "sexier" than "online". There are a number of definitions but the core is that it is self-service, shared, centrally managed but possibly on distributed resources*.

If you look at Apple's iCloud, or any of the other social media clouds in the end they are sitting on top of 1,000's of servers with lots of disks, distributed across a bunch of data centers worldwide. The systems are complex and the protection against failure is phenomenal but in the end the data is on some hard drives attached to a server.

Beware that whether online or "cloud" backing up is simple and painless however, if you lose your machine completely (bad hard drive for example) recovery is not particularly fast although getting single files back is easy. The reason is simply volume of data. After a year or two using the service you might find out that you have 500gb on the distant server. If your internet connection lets you download 5gb an hour, you are looking at 100 hours if all goes well. If you can only reliably download 1gb, then it is 500 hours or the best part of a month.

Worth checking the small print. There may be an option to get everything sent to you overnight on a memory stick or a disk at an extra cost. For a commercial enterprise, trying to get back 500tb or a few pb, a network option is simply not practical.

* before someone mentions it, yes I am familiar with the nist model.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:05 am

Cloud computing is an invasion of privacy and the future of legal but unethical data mining. Keep your spinning platter drive and buy another drive with an external case, you can backup data without buying stupid software...some of those old DOS commands are still pretty good.

C:/DOs Run

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 am

You are using a laser printer and my tech person told me about 6 or 7 months ago when I was going to Up-grade my old Epson XP-410 model to a laser unit to keep my Epson and forget about a Laser unit for three reasons;
1.I am not in the production of materials to sell to the public so I do not need to produce the top quality documents.
2: A laser printer replacement ink - even when they have a much longer period of use - will cost quite a bit more than buying the ink for the "old" non-lasers printers - You could probably replace your non-laser ink a few times before it matches the cost of replacing ink for the Laser unit.
3:The first and second generation of Lasers were having some problems if they remain inactive after a short period. The ink may have had something to do with it but he has not seen any of the newer - since 2015 laser printers on his shop and therefore maybe the manufacturers have corrected the fail-to-print problem. I would check with your local office supplies store printer tech and he/she may be able to help clarify your problem. Good Luck.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 am

Joe de V wrote:You are using a laser printer and my tech person told me about 6 or 7 months ago when I was going to Up-grade my old Epson XP-410 model to a laser unit to keep my Epson and forget about a Laser unit for three reasons;
Joe, I'm sure your tech guy is very knowledgeable but his views don't agree with my own experience.

I have a 16 year old inexpensive Brother laser printer which works fine, even after not being used for weeks. The only maintenance I have ever done on it is to clean the feed rollers with a damp cloth.

The print quality of inkjet and laser printers can both be very good indeed (depending on the printer, of course).

Inkjets: Initial cost is often cheaper than laser printers. Better for photos and colour printing. Higher cost per copy due to the price of inkjet cartridges, nozzle cleaning, etc. Probably the most versatile printer for domestic use, if you only have one printer.

Lasers: Good for back and white printing. Much faster printing. Toner cartridges can cost more than inject jet cartridges but they last much, much longer - the consensus seems to be that this results in a significantly lower cost per copy. You should periodically replace the drum in order to maintain quality.

IMO for domestic use, when you want a versatile printer and have relatively low use then an inkjet, either stand alone or as part of an "all-in-one" is the best choice. But if you want a work-horse printer for black and white - a laser printer is by far the best choice.

(When I was self employed I had a laser printer for run of the mill printing but also had an inkjet "all-in-one" type printer for when I needed colour. The inkjet was replaced many years ago but the laser is still working fine, though only lightly used these days.)

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm

JohnB wrote:
Joe de V wrote:You are using a laser printer and my tech person told me about 6 or 7 months ago when I was going to Up-grade my old Epson XP-410 model to a laser unit to keep my Epson and forget about a Laser unit for three reasons;
Joe, I'm sure your tech guy is very knowledgeable but his views don't agree with my own experience.

I have a 16 year old inexpensive Brother laser printer which works fine, even after not being used for weeks. The only maintenance I have ever done on it is to clean the feed rollers with a damp cloth.

The print quality of inkjet and laser printers can both be very good indeed (depending on the printer, of course).

Inkjets: Initial cost is often cheaper than laser printers. Better for photos and colour printing. Higher cost per copy due to the price of inkjet cartridges, nozzle cleaning, etc. Probably the most versatile printer for domestic use, if you only have one printer.

Lasers: Good for back and white printing. Much faster printing. Toner cartridges can cost more than inject jet cartridges but they last much, much longer - the consensus seems to be that this results in a significantly lower cost per copy. You should periodically replace the drum in order to maintain quality.

IMO for domestic use, when you want a versatile printer and have relatively low use then an inkjet, either stand alone or as part of an "all-in-one" is the best choice. But if you want a work-horse printer for black and white - a laser printer is by far the best choice.

(When I was self employed I had a laser printer for run of the mill printing but also had an inkjet "all-in-one" type printer for when I needed colour. The inkjet was replaced many years ago but the laser is still working fine, though only lightly used these days.)
Hello JohnB: Your experience is a good one and is nice to know. I still prefer to stay with my old -in-one Epson unit. Like you, my tech person was only telling me his own experience servicing and selling printers. Speaking of the all-in-one printers my favorite was the products from Canon but their "thirst" for ink demanded quicker replacement - in my personal experience - After my test for volume of pages printed I found the Epson line a better value for my own needs.

Return to “The Café”