Sugar as bad as alcohol

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Sugar as bad as alcohol

Post by kirolak » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Sugar in any form seems to have as bad an effect as alcohol on the finger joints, I am giving up both. 8)

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Sugar as bad as alcohol

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Speaking medically, alcohol will have temporary effects while "under the influence". Sugar can have permanent effects based upon quantity consumed and diabetic status. Here's how it works.

Sugar is not a short term issue for non diabetics, but it will get you long term. For a diabetic, sugar and carbs are the enemy! The biggest offenders are high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), followed closely by refined table sugar, then any fast carbs. Both HFCS and table sugar break up into what are called "active metabolytes". Those chemicals, if at high levels, whack your insulin receptors leading to full blown Type II diabetes in the long run.

Once you have "receptor insensitivity" (the very definition of Type II diabetes) then blood sugar levels easily go high and stay high. High blood sugar levels lead to "glycosylation" or sugar deposits on red blood cells, tissues and organs. Those sugar deposits lead to reduced oxygen carrying capacity and death of capillaries. Death of capillaries happens first in the extremities (fingers and toes), then retina long term. I don't think you need a degree in medical science to realize what happens after capillary death...

Speaking medically, I'm a lot more worried about social sugar than social alcohol. What's the old saying, "You're ugly, and I'm drunk. When I wake up in the morning, I'll be sober, but you will still be ugly." The ugliness in this case is the effects of high sugar consumption.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank you for that very sobering reply! :(

Sorry if I relate to it entirely on a personal level, but I have been tested for diabetes (among myriad other horrors, as I suffer from hemiplegic migraine = one sided paralysis attacks) so I will take your reply very much to heart & eschew all sugar. Strangely, it's not that hard, except for those items that have "hidden sugars" in their ingredients. I really appreciate the info, thanks again.

montana

Post by montana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:06 pm

That's a must read for everyone on our site!

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:28 am

Exercise is key to weak joints, feet.. At least 45 minutes, even just walking will help a lot and do some stretching exercise. You can still eat foods you like but with moderation.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 am

I'm picturing a bottle of Jack Daniels in bed with a Mars bar. And in the morning the Mars bar is weeping as the rather abusive bottle leaves with a sneer. Speaking medically, of course!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 am

Hahaha! What a delightful image! And there goes my bottle of Shiraz clutching a Five Star Bar!

Salvador, thanks for your input, too - I don't have weak joints as such, just pain in the left hand finger joints if I consume even half a glass of wine the night before practice, or two or three Imperial Mints on the same day, so I shall be strong & go cold turkey! :)

keeen

Post by keeen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 pm

agree.,even worst they say flour,sugar,salt 3white

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm

keeen wrote:agree.,even worst they say flour,sugar,salt 3white
We also need to identify the basic food groups:
Alcohol
Sugar
Salt
Fat
Caffeine

Stick to those and be healthy! :D So with a dash of salt, an Irish Coffee becomes a superfood! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Sugar can cure hiccups. The theory is that hiccups are an electrical signal trapped in a feedback loop in your throat. If you toss back a spoonful of sugar, the grains interrupt the signal. Salt or sand would work too, but who would do that?

I have no idea if the science is correct but this has worked for me in the past.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:10 pm

A spoon of fresh lemon juice will immediately stop hiccups. There is no need for sugar.
Strong Alcohol drinks may not be very healthy, but just a shot per day should be good for the heart.
People live longer in countries that consume red wine, like France, Italy and Greece.
I am sure that sugar is bad.

chuckinphoenix

Post by chuckinphoenix » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:06 pm

My four basic food groups
The four B's
Bacon
Beef
Butter
Bread
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

dory

Post by dory » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

It is interesting to see this right now. My husband just got a knee replacement and was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. I noticed they had literally nothing to eat in the coffeeshop except frosted cakes and cookies and huge cookies encrusted with M&Ms. I got frustrated by the last day because I would have liked to have a snack if they had had anything edible. Then in a horrible coincidence my dad got admitted to a different hospital last night. I looked in their coffeeshop and guess what? I am pretty tired from having 2 patients simultaneously so I snapped and asked " Do you know what percentage of the population are either watching their sugar intake or have diabetes?" The woman answered "people like you can go downstairs to the cafeteria (where the food is only marginally better.) i got nastier and said "Actually I am not even hungry. I just thought you should know." That was NOT the best way to handle the situation. I am not proud of myself.
Dory

bear

Post by bear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

sugar -bad
alcohol- good
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 pm

The bad news: everything in excess is bad.
The good news: everything in moderation is good/ok.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “The Café”