Sugar as bad as alcohol

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
bear

Re: Sugar as bad as alcohol

Postby bear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 pm

guitarrista wrote:The bad news: everything in excess is bad.
The good news: everything in moderation is good/ok.

except maybe cyanide.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 am

bear wrote:

except maybe cyanide.

It depends on what you're using it for...

Sharon Vizcaino

Postby Sharon Vizcaino » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 am

bear wrote:sugar -bad
alcohol- good

bear wrote:

except maybe cyanide.

:lol:
Oh, bear, always providing us impressionable youth with such valuable life lessons.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

bear

Postby bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:
bear wrote:sugar -bad
alcohol- good

bear wrote:

except maybe cyanide.

:lol:
Oh, bear, always providing us impressionable youth with such valuable life lessons.

Thank You,
I am a wealth of useless and obvious information. It is a pleasure to share with those who appreciate and value it's worth. "Yo soy un hombre sincero...."(Marti)

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Bear is probably technically wrong, but it raises an interesting question. By far the most toxic substance known to man is botox, and that's OK when used in moderation. Probably all poisons are OK "in moderation" but give varying degrees of hangover, and qualities of high. Popular ones like alcohol are easier when it comes to dosage control.

Cyanide: Oral ingestion of a small quantity of solid cyanide or a cyanide solution as little as 200 mg, or exposure to airborne cyanide of 270 ppm, is sufficient to cause death within minutes

Botox: estimated human median lethal dose (LD50) of 1.3–2.1 ng/kg intravenously or intramuscularly and 10–13 ng/kg when inhaled
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

bear

Postby bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:Bear is probably technically wrong, but it raises an interesting question. By far the most toxic substance known to man is botox, and that's OK when used in moderation. Probably all poisons are OK "in moderation" but give varying degrees of hangover, and qualities of high. Popular ones like alcohol are easier when it comes to dosage control.

Cyanide: Oral ingestion of a small quantity of solid cyanide or a cyanide solution as little as 200 mg, or exposure to airborne cyanide of 270 ppm, is sufficient to cause death within minutes

Botox: estimated human median lethal dose (LD50) of 1.3–2.1 ng/kg intravenously or intramuscularly and 10–13 ng/kg when inhaled

While there are substances more toxic than cyanide, it was suggested "moderate". You are certainly correct regarding "small" amounts but the terms small, moderate, etc. are so inexact and effected by an individuals size, weight, tolerance, etc., that I would not advise ingesting it.
While Franklin is quoted as saying, "all things in moderation", a look at his life might suggest he did not practice what he preached. I don't know if he experimented with cyanide.
In place of cyanide, I would suggest chocolate.

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 pm

dory wrote:It is interesting to see this right now. My husband just got a knee replacement and was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. I noticed they had literally nothing to eat in the coffeeshop except frosted cakes and cookies and huge cookies encrusted with M&Ms. I got frustrated by the last day because I would have liked to have a snack if they had had anything edible. Then in a horrible coincidence my dad got admitted to a different hospital last night. I looked in their coffeeshop and guess what? I am pretty tired from having 2 patients simultaneously so I snapped and asked " Do you know what percentage of the population are either watching their sugar intake or have diabetes?" The woman answered "people like you can go downstairs to the cafeteria (where the food is only marginally better.) i got nastier and said "Actually I am not even hungry. I just thought you should know." That was NOT the best way to handle the situation. I am not proud of myself.
Actually Dory, you approach was fine, in my opinion. But you were voicing concern to the wrong person. That cafeteria worker has no more control over the menu than you do over the moon's orbit. Ask to speak to a Customer Service rep. Make that person tell you why a hospital has such lousy food choices, and point out how hypocritical that is.

Mmmm .... frosted cakes and M&M encrusted cookies .... Breakfast of Champions ! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure julian bream was a heavy boozer....did that stop him?

RWHowe

Postby RWHowe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:44 pm

If you have concerns about sugar...read this The Case Against Sugar (2016) by Gary Taubes

from the NYTimes - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opin ... -news&_r=0

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 pm

LukeMarsden wrote:I'm pretty sure julian bream was a heavy boozer....did that stop him?
If I understand his life correctly, alcohol almost ruined his career. It's not well documented like with many famous alcoholics. He certainly changed his ways, and gave up smoking and drinking.

Fernandosaurusrex

Postby Fernandosaurusrex » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 am

But coffee is still good, right?

montana

Postby montana » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 am

Nope

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 am

A lot of this depends on the person's metabolism, so I've been avoiding all the shifting personal interpretations in this thread like someone stepping across a minefield, but perhaps my point becomes a bit clearer if I ask what Bruce Lee's ghost might be making of this conversation.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Fernandosaurusrex wrote:But coffee is still good, right?
The latest studies I have read indicate coffee is good stuff. One nutritionist I read states it is a "super food". The problem with coffee and/or caffeine is that it is easily abused.

Two studies:
1) whatever medical category you are, alcoholic, tea totaling Catholic, mother of 4, etc. coffee makes your liver numbers better. So a coffee drinking alcoholic has better liver function than a non coffee drinking alcoholic.
2) Stress on kidneys --> kidney burn out. It is true that coffee can elevate your blood pressure, and that can lead to excess stress on kidneys resulting in premature burn out. But a 16 oz coffee daily has been shown to have negligible effects on kidney health. So if you use caffeinated soap in the shower, a 20 oz latte at breakfast, a 16 oz with lunch, and a coca-cola with dinner, yeah, you're kidneys will be in trouble.

Bottom line : coffee in moderation is excellent! The over 500 carcinogens have no effects. Your liver numbers will be better! You may want to stay hydrated as coffee increases urination. But coffee? Nectar of the Godz!!!

Fernandosaurusrex

Postby Fernandosaurusrex » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Mental note: switch to a different soap.

Return to “The Café”