Poets

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
bear

Poets

Post by bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Well. we've discussed what we eat, drink, listen too and the weather et. al..

Does anyone read poetry anymore (not Bob Dylan)?
When I was young I read quite a bit and still revisit from time to time.

A lot of time on my hands today so wondering if anyone has favorites.

Mine are:
Jose Marti
Garcia Lorca
Allan Ginsberg
William Butler Yeats
Ray Young Bear
Ezra Pound
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

bear

Re: Poets

Post by bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 pm

I forgot one, absolutely brilliant- Margo Tamez.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Funny you should mention poetry, I was just typing to a friend on FB the first couple of lines from John Masefield's Sea Fever:

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by,

Just before I took up music I tried learning one poem a week from Tang Dynasty 300 poems.

I tried passing on my love of books and poetry to my daughters and when my elder one was seven, she could recite by heart Edward Lear's The Owl and the Pussycat.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

edcat7 wrote:Funny you should mention poetry, I was just typing to a friend on FB the first couple of lines from John Masefield's Sea Fever:

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by,

Just before I took up music I tried learning one poem a week from Tang Dynasty 300 poems.

I tried passing on my love of books and poetry to my daughters and when my elder one was seven, she could recite by heart Edward Lear's The Owl and the Pussycat.
Funny you should mention the Owl and the Pussycat.... that was one of the first poems I memorized as a child. My parents had given me the Golden Book of Poetry, which I read with great enthusiasm. When I first read it, I could not figure out why anyone would have a 5 pound note! :lol: That seemed so heavy.... was it to weigh them down?? Later, I found out it referred to English currency. Same with Quince. Slices of quince? And what was a runcible spoon? In any case, I learned that by heart and **still know it*** !!! 54 years later.

When I was older, I enjoyed reading Byron and Shelley. I also read Poe, but sometimes he was just tooooo creepy!! Phrases from Annabel Lee still come back to me on occasion.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Well, Francesco Petrarca, for example. Also, there are some Finnish poets that I read every now and then, like Eino Leino and Aaro Hellaakoski.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 pm

Wallace Stevens, Yeats, Lorca, Neruda, Elizabeth Bishop, Dante, Donne...
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 am

There is only one poet: Ernest Dowson - who came up with, "days of wine and roses", in his "Vitae Summa Brevis Spem Nos Vetat Incohare Longam" and, "gone with the wind", from "Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae sub Regno Cynarae."

A proper decadent and yet truly more miserable than his beloved Horace:

“I was not sorrowful, but only tired
Of everything that ever I desired.”

In his early twenties he became fatally infatuated with a very young girl - waited for her to turn 16 whereupon he proposed and was, predictably, turned down. Father died of an overdose, mother hanged herself - Ernest died penniless suffering from tuberculosis and alcoholism at 32.

Largely forgotten now but his words were set by Delius and Field, and he was clearly read by the likes of Mitchell and Lawrence. Wilde wrote: "Poor wounded wonderful fellow ... I hope bay leaves will be laid on his tomb and rue and myrtle too for he knew what love was."

On the positive side, he also penned, "absinthe makes the tart grow fonder."

bear

Post by bear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

lagartija wrote:
Funny you should mention the Owl and the Pussycat.... that was one of the first poems I memorized as a child. My parents had given me the Golden Book of Poetry, which I read with great enthusiasm. When I first read it, I could not figure out why anyone would have a 5 pound note! :lol: That seemed so heavy.... was it to weigh them down?? Later, I found out it referred to English currency. Same with Quince. Slices of quince? And what was a runcible spoon? In any case, I learned that by heart and **still know it*** !!! 54 years later.

When I was older, I enjoyed reading Byron and Shelley. I also read Poe, but sometimes he was just tooooo creepy!! Phrases from Annabel Lee still come back to me on occasion.
Funny you should mention Annabel Lee, my favorite of Poe's works. Someone gave me a pair of cats once. Actually, a car pulled up in the middle of the night and in the morning, there they were. I'm not a cat person but I made a nice home for them in the barn. Shylock and Annabel Lee.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

when i wander lonely as a cloud over the seven sisters , and recollect in tranquillity shades of the prison door , i comfort myself that a living can be made playing music

bear

Post by bear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 pm

malc laney wrote:when i wander lonely as a cloud over the seven sisters , and recollect in tranquillity shades of the prison door , i comfort myself that a living can be made playing music
bravo!
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Wordsworth

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:49 pm

A shout for two Welsh poets, Dylan Thomas and RS Thomas. Dylan you will know, but RS will be new to many I suspect.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:18 am

I've always liked the British poets of the romantic era, particularly Keats. As for Pound, I love The River Merchant's Wife.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:13 am

Now that the Age of Prose has fallen to the Age of Sound-Bites, I suppose its time for Poetry to become retroactively fashionable! I wholeheartedly support this resurgence.

T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Guide to Practical Cats" is a favorite. My kids like it. I sometimes recite Shelley's "Ozymandias" to them too, along with some of William Blake's "Songs of Innocence". "A Divine Image" from Songs of Experience is more to my taste, though.

A very dear friend of mine often wrote me letters including oddly appropriate quotations from Yeats. This prompted me to re-read "The Waste Land".

Never was a fan of the Beats, but I did go to a reading by Allan Ginsberg when i was a freshman in college. They served wine afterwards. I loved it; thought I had finally encountered Haute-culture!

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

bear

Post by bear » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote: A very dear friend of mine often wrote me letters including oddly appropriate quotations from Yeats. This prompted me to re-read "The Waste Land".

Never was a fan of the Beats, but I did go to a reading by Allan Ginsberg when i was a freshman in college. They served wine afterwards. I loved it; thought I had finally encountered Haute-culture!

cheers!
dirck
My oldest grandson (now 29) had a friend growing up from nursery school on. She became almost a granddaughter to my wife and I. She is now an actress and often when I see her, we recite parts of Shakespeare's plays.
I had a quote from Yeats that hung over my desk for more than 20 years, damn, if I can remember it.
Ginsberg, was the only one of the era that appealed to me, might have been his brand of sarcasm. Langston Hughes, was popular but not my taste. I thought Kerouac, would have benefited from a kick in the butt.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:Now that the Age of Prose has fallen to the Age of Sound-Bites, I suppose its time for Poetry to become retroactively fashionable! I wholeheartedly support this resurgence.

T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Guide to Practical Cats" is a favorite. My kids like it. I sometimes recite Shelley's "Ozymandias" to them too, along with some of William Blake's "Songs of Innocence". "A Divine Image" from Songs of Experience is more to my taste, though.
I loved Ozymandias! That was one of my favorites of his "short" poems. They were the ones I most often memorized.

Another beautiful one is The Cloud by Shelley.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “The Café”