existentialist music?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
PeteJ

Re: existentialist music?

Post by PeteJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm

A cul-de-sac is pretty much an unavoidable destination in discussions of existentialism.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Or a traffic circle, with streets leading off in all directions. You can spin off in any direction you choose, or you can just go round and round until you get dizzy.

Fernandosaurusrex

Post by Fernandosaurusrex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Schubert: No. 24 “Der Leiermann” from Winterreise, D. 911

This song was composed during a period of intense reflection towards the end of Schubert's brief life, when dying of syphilis. It is uncharacteristically dark, dealing with Schubert's feelings of rejection from society and doubts concerning the significance of his life and music. Towards the end of the piece he asks the hurdy-gurdy player: "Will you grind your organ to my songs?"

https://youtu.be/sIIS-UgixGE

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

"Will you grind your organ to my songs?" was this that famous Carry on with Kenneth Williams as Bert Shoe?

Fernandosaurusrex

Post by Fernandosaurusrex » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 am

No idea.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 am

Mahler's "das Lied von der Erde" has been called existential. As Barbara Barry, in her book, "The Philosopher's Stone," expressed it: "the finale reveals a new, revelatory perspective of 'end' and 'ending'--and philosophically, expressing our existential human predicament of intense emotion and yearning for fulfillment…"

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 am

I think folks sometime use the word as a more impressive way of saying 'introspective and pessimistic'. I bet few people who use the word could define it. I've never seen anyone define it clearly. A recent issue of Philosophy Now (an excellent journal) was devoted to it and came nowhere near to clarifying what it is.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:19 pm

The OP mentions Deep Purple, so he's clearly not requesting a serious answer, but we've had two suggestions for the blues and jazz. This is because they were new and alien to French culture, I guess, and this is why they might have appealed to Camus and Sartre. Since the start of the thread I've been wondering about mentioning Böll's Und Sagte Kein Einziges Wort. I suppose there's something a bit existentialist about Truemmerliteratur, although Böll was a Catholic, so his agenda might have been different. I quote the German title, as it's Böll's own translation of the line "and he never said a mumbling word" from the (heard on the radio) spiritual They Crucified My Lord. I wonder why Böll ignored the word 'mumbling', perhaps he didn't understand it.

Youtube
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”