Any Bowyers out there?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Robert Rogers

Any Bowyers out there?

Post by Robert Rogers » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:36 pm

I occasionally make English Longbows and am an avid archer. Anyone else make bows?

Michael.N.

Re: Any Bowyers out there?

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 pm

I've made a couple, joint effort between a friend and myself. More him than me, I just assisted. Both were laminated with a recurve, ash and maple, the other maple and walnut. He also made a few traditional longbows, along with the arrows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqVHF7uFtk

I have one of his bows in the workshop that came in for repair.
Historicalguitars.

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I make most of my English Longbows from Yew, but also use Lemonwood (Dagame) backed with Hickory. I have made several Native American flatbows and like Hickory for those, though Maple, Ash, Elm and other white woods work. I'm too allergic to Osage (Bois d'Arc) to fool with it anymore, but it makes a nice flatbow.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:54 pm

At the end of a recital I generally make a few bows.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Not a maker but used to do competitions. Never had a proper longbow though, and probably don't have the muscles.

Mind you, with Brexit upon us maybe we need to get back to archery practice.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm

I think this is from Heraclitus: "To the bow (bios) is given the name of life (bios) and its work is death". The accent in "bios" shifts from the second syllable to the first in the two terms. Or the other way around, I'm not sure.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think this is from Heraclitus: "To the bow (bios) is given the name of life (bios) and its work is death". The accent in "bios" shifts from the second syllable to the first in the two terms. Or the other way around, I'm not sure.
τῶι οὖν τόξωι ὄνομα βίος, ἔργον δὲ θάνατος.

But in fact βίος means life and βiós means bow.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think this is from Heraclitus: "To the bow (bios) is given the name of life (bios) and its work is death". The accent in "bios" shifts from the second syllable to the first in the two terms. Or the other way around, I'm not sure.
τῶι οὖν τόξωι ὄνομα βίος, ἔργον δὲ θάνατος.

But in fact βίος means life and βiós means bow.
Andrew would know! He can read the original Greek. So the two terms aren't quite pronounced the same--or are they?--, like I thought. I read this somewhere in Nietszche, who was referencing the German term 'armbrust', which interested me especially.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 pm

In pronunciation there are at least two problems - no-one really knows how ancient Greek was pronounced. Some insist that it was a tonal language, but people who speak tonal languages like Swedish point out that 99% of the time the tone coincides with word-stress. Also dialects were formally recognised and played specific literary roles, but that is all we really have left of them - not enough to know how they were pronounced (except in broad terms). Also the dialects tend to get over-exaggerated by their transmitters. Heraclitus was Ionian, as was Herodotus, MSS of whom are often referred to as "hyper-ionicised".

Also, I don't fully understand where that quote came from - some of this fragmentary stuff can be second or third hand and requires you to study the transmission as well as the actual words - it's more likely to be someone paraphrasing Heraclitus than a direct quote.

Anyways, back to bows and arrows. The leader of our uke group is a member of some archery group in Kent. I fancy it, but it's more trouble than it's worth for me to travel out from the part of London I live in. Besides, if I had the money to spend on archery, I'd probably rather spend it on musical instruments or hi-fi!

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:04 pm

I guess I'm lucky in having a backyard in which I've set up a 25yd shooting lane. I've been an archer (not a bowhunter) since I was a kid. Archery to me is therapeutic for the mind and body. Making and shooting your own bows that you made from a tree trunk is a similar feeling to making a guitar, which I've also done. Must be a string thing.

Regarding the Greek stuff, I'm reading Lattimores' Odyssey and Robert Graves mostly prose version of the Illiad. Graves was of the opinion that the Illiad was not recited as a poem entirely but was told as a story and probably partially sung. It was intended as entertainment, and should be read as such.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Please don't take Robert Graves seriously! (except in that, yes, of course it's entertainment, yes it's a story). Why are you not reading Lattimore's Iliad?

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't take any of this too seriously Andrew. I do enjoy the novels of Robert Graves though.

I studied Lattimore's Illiad in college many years ago. I decided to give his version of the Odyssey a read, but admittedly should look at some others. There are many. Maybe someday.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Lattimore used to be my favourite, but I haven't had a copy of him for years. Recently I discovered how bad he can be (sorry, cut and pasted from another forum) - Od. 13.149-51: (Poseidon)

.............................ἐθέλω περικαλλέα νῆα
ἐκ πομπῆς ἀνιοῦσαν ἐν ἠεροειδέϊ πόντῳ
ῥαῖσαι,

ῥαῖσαι, N.B. delayed, emphatic, onomatopoeic and violent. Lattimore: "I wish to stun that beautiful vessel" Urgh!

Nowadays I wouldn't know what to recommend, as I don't read translations. Ha, this is a thread about archery, but Odysseus is relevant to it!

Return to “The Café”