Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Post by dory » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 am

Increasingly people seem to be valuing restaurants for the quantity of food they serve as opposed to the quality. I often eat in a restaurant, or get takeout, and find my plate mounded with enormous quantities of food to the point where it looks unappetizing (to me.) Chinese restaurants seem to be the worst offenders in this way. Recently we got Chinese takeout and each of us got an enormous bucket of food. If we had shared one, which we shoukd have done, we still would have gotten two to three meals out of what they served us. As it is, I ate at most a quarter of mine and my husband a bit less. We have huge quantities of leftovers congealing in the refrigerator, and, frankly, we don't want that many meals of the same cheap Chinese food. It is even worse eating in many restarants where you are faced with mountains of often cheap ingredients and no place to hide the excess. I know some people deal with this problem by immediately requesting a box, but why do it to us in the first place? By the way, my husband and I are both of the plump persuasion and we are not timy eaters. Is anyone but me put off by this?
Dory

PeteJ

Re: Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Post by PeteJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am

I must say I've never had the experience of being served too much food in a restaurant. Can you give me some addresses? :) It seems like bad business practice since one can't sell more course to full customers.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am

I think this is an American thing. Even 20 years ago when I visited the USA breakfast servings were ridiculously large. I am sure meals are only bigger now.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

Yes. ....and over the years I have eaten too much, and am now overweight and trying to control it. My wife and I usually split a meal when we eat out, which we do several times a week. We were in a restaurant recently eating breakfast, and we split what they call their "country sampler." It came with bacon, sausage & ham, along with eggs, grits, biscuits, and baked apples....plenty of food for both of us! There were two people at the table adjacent to ours and EACH of them was eating the same breakfast that we had ordered together......and both of them were grossly overweight. When I eat alone in a restaurant, I will often order one or two side items. I get plenty of food and the price is usually less than a "plate." We here in the US eat too much, and do too little.....and it is plainly evident.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Maybe because it's fast food that's why. Most of their foods are frozen foods, processed and ready to cook foods. Maybe in fine dining restaurants are different lol.

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 pm

First world problems.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Had a sandwich at a sub shop yesterday. They gave me three size choices, 7" being the shortest and the size I chose. It was cut into two halves. When I finished the first half I felt full, but stupidly ate the second half as well. And I've also found that the smallest fountain soda now offered is larger than the "large" size when I was a teenager.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Never had a weight issue when I was living on our family farm. We never had huge servings, but had plenty to eat. These large servings now considered normal would have fed our entire family. This is one reason I love my trips to Italy where servings are modest sizes and the dining itself is more leisurely.
It's just impossible to eat like that here in the states. Even salads are enormous!
Hauser III 2014!

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I grew up poor. There seems to be something odd about complaining about too much food at cheap prices.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm

It is not just in fast food places that the servings are too large. (We don't eat fast food except when traveling and that is all that is offered in smaller airports) On special occasions, my husband and I will go out to a nice restaurant, and the servings are still way too large. We will split a salad or appetizer and if "small plates" are not available and we have to order full size main dishes, I will only eat 1/3 to a 1/2 of it. I have often just ordered an appetizer as my main dish.
Both of us are fit and trim, and I believe that is due to enjoying our own cooking at home where we have total control over the ingredients and portion sizes.
The large portions don't disgust me, since it was a really nice restaurant and high quality ingredients, I don't mind having it for dinner on another day. If forced to eat at a fast food place by circumstance, I try to pick the smallest simplest thing that is nutritious...just enough to stave off hunger until we can have a real meal. Lately, I have been carrying my own food when we fly because I seem to be sensitive to something in wheat(not necessarily gluten) and most airline food is full of wheat.

I believe you are what you eat...so I always choose the highest quality, freshest ingredients I can afford, with the highest nutritional content, then eat -with enjoyment- a moderate amount.
This has worked for us. :-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

bear wrote:I grew up poor. There seems to be something odd about complaining about too much food at cheap prices.
The problem is that often the food offered has little nutritional value, fills the stomach temporarily but the body is still starved for the nutrients it needs, leading to hunger soon after the meal.
Growing up poor in the cities is the worst; you can't grow your own food, no grocery stores with fresh produce in the neighborhood, but lots of fast food with little nutritional content. At least if you are in the countryside, you can grow your own fruits and vegetables. This is why I live out here in the countryside.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:33 pm

lagartija wrote:
bear wrote:I grew up poor. There seems to be something odd about complaining about too much food at cheap prices.
The problem is that often the food offered has little nutritional value, fills the stomach temporarily but the body is still starved for the nutrients it needs, leading to hunger soon after the meal.
Growing up poor in the cities is the worst; you can't grow your own food, no grocery stores with fresh produce in the neighborhood, but lots of fast food with little nutritional content. At least if you are in the countryside, you can grow your own fruits and vegetables. This is why I live out here in the countryside.
I agree, it's funny some of the things we carry with us. Dicken's, could have written my childhood, Mayberry to an orphanage to the projects. Food, the lack of it, was something that stuck with me.

dory

Post by dory » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:04 pm

My mother had an eating disorder when I was growing up and food was often in short supply because she was afraid of food and felt we shouldn't eat so much. I realized this was abnormal if a friend came by and looked at our dinner plates in surprise. Sometimes I used to hide food in my pockets and take it to my bedroom to eat. (We had enough money.) I began cooking as a teenager so we would have larger portions. That stuck with me in strange ways. I try hard to eat as much as I can at meals so I don't snack, which was our habit when I was growing up because we were generally hungry. I admit I am still not good at eating very large portions and I can get hungery two hours after eating-- not a good thing. Still I think the portions in the US can be obscene. There is one nicer restaurant we like to go to for "happy hour." You can get a cocktail and one or more appetizers for a vvery reasonable price although the dinner portions at the restaurant are fairly pricey. When you go to happy hour they bring chips and salsa and then you order an appetizer. I try really hard to limit myself on the chips and salsa because the appetizers of all things are enormous. Usually I have to take a box for half of the APPETIZER. When my husband and I share a dinner plate we often STILL have to take food home. The problem for me is the waste of food. I also find the food I take home in boxes often doesn't get eaten or gets only partially eaten because by the time it is re-heated it is not as appetizing as something I could cook fresh. There are many people in the world without enough to eat.i know the food I leave on my plate uneaten will not go to them, but the huge portions seem like a symbol of somethingnI don't like. Also I see a lot of people eating their entire portion of food. That can't be good either. There is one "fast casual" restaurant I go to sometimes for lunch. They post calorie counts on the menu board. I always order a "small" (i.e. Normal sized) portion of one of their lower calorie items and get plenty of calories. I see a lot of people eating 1000 or even 1200 calorie lunches as if they were nothing. Often they finish thebwhole thing and have dessert. I am not trying to be self-righteous here. It just feels to me like a problem.m
Dory

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 pm

dory wrote: I am not trying to be self-righteous here. It just feels to me like a problem.m
I would never think you were. I'm kind of boring. My wife and I will go out to eat and I always order the same thing. Each restaurant we go to has an item on the menu and and restaurant "A" I will order "X". at restaurant "B" I will order "Y". It's gotten so that the wait staff already know what I want before we sit down.
As I said. it's funny how things will stay with you. My wife always tells me that I eat too fast. In the orphanage you learn- the one who eats the fastest, gets the most.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm

I like to go to such restaurants, but only once in a while. Sometimes I really want to pig out on cheap restaurant food. But other times when I feel like pigging out, I'll just make a large batch of spaghetti, and have at it.

But mostly, if I choose a restaurant, I want to experience really good foods I cannot make at home. Not giant piles of poor nutrients.

But, like, once every three months, I'll order tomato beef chowmein from Uncle Chung's near our home. It's enough for three days worth of dinners! Then I'm done, and return to good nutrition and realistic portions.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”