Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
montana

Re: Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Post by montana » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Took my family to Disneyland. For breakfast the restaurant gave us a full banana pound loaf. That was a free starter. It would have filled the 4 of us. Maybe Macdonalds is the new health food store . At least you know the amount you're getting is tolerable.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 pm

I think it has a lot to do with word-of-mouth advertising. These places want you to tell all your friends about the generous portions you were served there.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm all for quantity, and I'm not even American... I was in a "Mediterranean" type fine dining restaurant today and honestly didn't get enough to eat. Although the quality was fine, I needed to eat more when we got back home. My wife was happy though. But on the other hand, it's of course much better for this planet if restaurants don't have to throw away that many halfly-eaten food portions.

johnG

Post by johnG » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Well I have a story that is on the opposite end of the spectrum. When I was living in Oahu Hawaii, Kai Lani in Ko Olina, a well known restaurant just open up for business, Roys, which was just down the street from were we lived. My wife and I decided to try it out, and see if all the hype was true on how great it was.

We were seated across from a Samoan gentleman, very large man, and his wife. Any way he ordered a steak. When they brought the food out and placed it in front of him, I thought he was going to cry, his wife burst out into laughter. The steak was the size of a half dollar with some sauce and a flower on the side with a very small pile of mashed potato's, The look on his face was priceless.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 pm

I seldom eat out, and when I do, I usually go up-scale, and getting too much food is generally not a problem at such places. But yes, some cheaper restaurants (especially in the USA, in my experience) serve insanely large portions of food, and so it is best to simply avoid them, if it concerns you. Eating out for breakfast and/or lunch is generally a bad idea, since one will almost inevitably get far too many calories, fat, salt, etc, than if they just ate a bowl of cereal or a boiled egg on toast, or if they made a sandwich or salad from home for lunch. You can blame restaurants and their gluttonous portion-sizes for being over-weight, but it really comes down to personal choice and self-discipline -- if you don't want to over-eat, don't, which may include not going out to eat all the time, and/or being more selective as to where you go, especially if you find it hard to control your impulses.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:37 pm

I realize I am being hypocritical to some degree when I say that restaurants shoukd not waste food by serving huge heaps of it, and then complain in the next moment that a lot of people eat more than a half day's calories for lunch alone. I guess some people must be eating those huge mounds of food and, interestingly, some of them are not overweight which I am. I just really wish restaurants woukd concentrate more on quality than on quantity which some European restaurants still do, although now that I have heard that MacDonald's is extremely popular in France I feel worried abput that.
Dory

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 pm

dory wrote:... I just really wish restaurants would concentrate more on quality than on quantity which some European restaurants still do...
Some of them still do, and not just in Europe, you just have to find the right places. I recently returned from a trip to a major city in California (I go to the US periodically), and I ate at several very nice restaurants (not cheap, mind you), where the food was magnificent, and the portions very sensible (some were even rather on the small side). Just do a bit of research, there must be some fine dining establishments where you live that serve quality not quantity.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:55 am

This whole thread has been difficult for me, because the devil is in the detail.
I used to live next to an Indian restaurant, so I knew the owner well, ate too much of his food (but they use vegetable oil, almost never ghee), ate way too much cheese too. Had a heart-attack.
Firstly, the benign view: the food is the cheapest of a restaurant's outlays, so a restaurant is mean if it doesn't offer enough.
Secondly: you don't have to eat everything on the plate.
Thirdly: I've seen food shows on the cookery channel, and you need to ask about the quality as well as the quantity of the food. How many times have I seen people on American TV eat a pound of steak and a pound of deep-fried onions and a pound of melted cheese all held in a giant buttered bun? I once saw a sequence of three shows and the food was nutritionally the same in each: - fat, protein, fat, protein, fat, in a sandwich.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:This whole thread has been difficult for me, because the devil is in the detail.
I used to live next to an Indian restaurant, so I knew the owner well, ate too much of his food (but they use vegetable oil, almost never ghee), ate way too much cheese too. Had a heart-attack.
Firstly, the benign view: the food is the cheapest of a restaurant's outlays, so a restaurant is mean if it doesn't offer enough.
Secondly: you don't have to eat everything on the plate.
Thirdly: I've seen food shows on the cookery channel, and you need to ask about the quality as well as the quantity of the food. How many times have I seen people on American TV eat a pound of steak and a pound of deep-fried onions and a pound of melted cheese all held in a giant buttered bun? I once saw a sequence of three shows and the food was nutritionally the same in each: - fat, protein, fat, protein, fat, in a sandwich.
You are right that the cost of the food is less than the cost of the labor to cook and serve it.

You are also correct in stating that you don't have to eat everything on the plate. That is the strategy I use on the rare occasion I eat out at a restaurant. When traveling, one has no option but to throw away what is not eaten, lacking any way to refrigerate leftovers, and there are many people who cannot bring themselves to do that and thus "clean the plate".
While growing up, I remember being served a plate of food by my grandmother and told to eat it all, because children were starving in [name of country currently suffering famine] and they were not as lucky as I was to have enough to eat. Notice that I said she served me the plate of food, not that I served myself with the portion commensurate with my hunger. I was not allowed to leave the table unless I ate it all ( or was able to delay long enough for the adults to give up-- an hour or so after the meal had finished). I do think that I should serve myself only what I know I will eat.
Except for buffets and family style restaurants where you serve yourself, the portion size is controlled by the kitchen. The chefs in many restaurants will add extra fat to something ( one chef told me that every dish will be more flavorful if enhanced with a pat of butter just before serving--even on a steak!) because we are hardwired to crave it and the flavor it carries. Eating out used to be an occasional indulgence, but now the average American eats 30% of their meals away from home. You can see why the average waistline has increased.
What disgusts me the most is what passes for a kid's menu at restaurants. White flour, cheese, processed meats, breaded and fried, with white potatoes as the vegetable. When we were traveling in the southern US, we stopped to get something to eat. At least they had a decent salad bar. For the kid's menu:
Macaroni and cheese
Grilled cheese sandwich
Hotdog
Fried chicken nuggets
Spaghetti with butter or tomato sauce.

At the table next to us, the already plump children had spaghetti with butter and grated cheese, French fries and a Coke. :shock:
Oh, don't forget the bread placed on the table made of white flour. With butter.
I'm sure their little ( but expanding) bellies were full when they finished, but I doubt that their bodies received the nutrients they needed for this major meal of the day.
Restaurants serve what they can sell to people, so if the kids won't eat anything but cheese and white bread or hotdogs, then I hold the parents responsible. The "food" served in most school lunches in the US is exactly what is found on the kid's menu because it is really CHEAP. They are trained to eat this processed, cheap , nutritionless stuff from an early age. If your body is starved for nutrition, you will eat more to get what you need, even if it is not possible to extract it from the food you are eating.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:51 pm

In my country it's quite normal to order two starters instead of starter + main dish.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

bear wrote:I grew up poor. There seems to be something odd about complaining about too much food at cheap prices.
So did I.
I don't think it's odd to complain however:
Too much food at cheap prices is a waste and stinks of excess when much of the world has far less. That's why I think it's worth complaining.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm

You know, this was actually a cause for culture shock when I first came to the US. I just couldn't understand why I got a portion that would easily serve 2 people in a regular restaurant in Mexico. Not that I'm complaining. I can't cook, so I'm more than fine with just eating the rest another day, but I also don't understand the reason haha. I asked some other international students at my school and they were also surprised. I've definitely gotten used to eating more in the past 3 years, and that's probably the reason. If it weren't for my fast metabolism I would've gained at least 10 pounds haha. In Mexico, restaurants usually have smaller portions. The only times I eat obscene amounts of food back home is when I go to a taco place. They're not filling, so you can just keep going...
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:31 pm

A great example of unappetising, to me anyway, is in today's UK Guardian newspaper.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... igan-kebab
The thing that got me was that they butter the barm (bread roll) it somehow seemed unnecessary. :shock: :lol:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 pm

lagartija wrote: What disgusts me the most is what passes for a kid's menu at restaurants. White flour, cheese, processed meats, breaded and fried, with white potatoes as the vegetable. When we were traveling in the southern US, we stopped to get something to eat. At least they had a decent salad bar. For the kid's menu:
Macaroni and cheese
Grilled cheese sandwich
Hotdog
Fried chicken nuggets
Spaghetti with butter or tomato sauce.
Well, yeah, that's disgusting. Grown-up people do understand (at least a bit) how they are risking their health by eating nuggets and hot dogs. But if they teach kids to have that sort of diet only, it's no wonder if half of teenagers are overweight.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Also, these childrens' menus are the cheapest menus for the restaurants to produce. There's an interesting programme doing the rounds on Freeview at the moment called the 2,000,000 Calorie Buffet, about all-you-can-eat buffets, narrated by Johnny Vegas, and they analyse what the kids prefer to eat in these places, and chips and ketchup is the basic answer, I think (I haven't watched the whole programme all the way through yet), with waffles for afters. In about 1990, I was told by a credible source that half of Britain's children get 3/4 of their vitamin C from chips, or some such statistic.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”