Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Anyone else find this unappetizing?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area) so called California Cuisine is still influential: seasonally fresh ingredients cooked imaginatively and served in what would pass as tiny portions in a Denny's or elsewhere. And yes the food is healthy, for the most part (it's restaurant food and some people insist on creamy sauces etc.) So not all Americans eat according to stereotype. Many food markets here are remarkable too--tons of produce, lots of organic stuff, non gmo and antibiotic fed fish and beef etc. Conscious eating is practiced by a very large portion of the population here; enough that jokes are made about it on Portlandia and elsewhere.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:29 am

The only time I was ever in the USA was in Manhattan for a weekend to see the opening night of the Lion King, but every now and then I get wistful and wonder what the Pacific seafood would be like if I visited the California coast.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

montana

Post by montana » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 am

On that note Andrew....I believe Ketchup in the USA is now officially considered a serving of vegetables .

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Actually, for interest's sake, I can remember what I ate in New York - we went to some café, I don't know where, and I had a rather small portion of rather uninteresting fisherman's pie!
And the thing that surprised me about New York was that the Chinese takeaway I had was no better than the cheapest, nastiest Chinese takeaway in London. I should have gone to a Jewish deli instead.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 am

I am sure you can find good Chinese food in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles, but you have to go to Chinatown. Otherwise I have found that most Chinese food in the US is pretty low quality. Where I live if people want decent Asian food they have to get Thai or Vietnamese food. If you are in New York City outside of Chinatown I imagine you get the same low quality food we get in my town of a half million people. You should have gone to Chinatown.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 am

My brother currently has a 7 year old child. His daughter is an incredibly picky eater. Basically she will eat pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and white and sweet potato fries. Not surprisingly these are the staple items on the "children's menus" that have sprung up in virtually every restaurant these days. Interestingly he says that all her friends at school are also picky eaters and will consume nothing but the items listed above, except-- and this is the big exception-- for sweet baked goods and candy. When I was a child if we didn't like what was on our plates we coukd have cereal and milk. Now my brother cooks a healthy meal for himself and his wife, and they buy pre-made chicken nuggets or pizza for their daughter. There is somethingnwrong with this picture.
Dory

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 am

dory wrote:My brother currently has a 7 year old child. His daughter is an incredibly picky eater. Basically she will eat pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and white and sweet potato fries. Not surprisingly these are the staple items on the "children's menus" that have sprung up in virtually every restaurant these days. Interestingly he says that all her friends at school are also picky eaters and will consume nothing but the items listed above, except-- and this is the big exception-- for sweet baked goods and candy. When I was a child if we didn't like what was on our plates we coukd have cereal and milk. Now my brother cooks a healthy meal for himself and his wife, and they buy pre-made chicken nuggets or pizza for their daughter. There is somethingnwrong with this picture.
Yes. They are training her to have a limited palette by not being a parent who insists that the child try something new and healthy AND delicious. They may have given in because they didn't want to fight the battle at mealtime. That is what my sister told me when I asked why she didn't insist that my niece and nephew eat the same food as we did. Now they are college age and my niece still eats a junky diet and suffers the consequences of that with blood sugar peaks and crashes, disrupted sleep cycle, etc. her body did not get the nutrients it really needed from early childhood on. This does have effects on their performance in school. So you can let them have their way, but I think you are not doing them a favor.
The problem with this is that when the child reaches young adulthood and goes off to school, they will eat the same junk
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 am

I am also concerned that she is eating way too much sugar. My feeling is that young children might process sugar ok, but even if they do, they become addicted to sugar and suffer the consequences as adults. That is pretty tragic. Seeing a chikd live on frozen puzza and candy really upsets me.
Dory

Return to “The Café”