Where does Arabic music come from? What about Andalusan?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Where does Arabic music come from? What about Andalusan?

Postby glassynails » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:54 am

I thought that Andalusian music was spanish or flamenco music. lol. Anyways I've been listening to a channel on YT called "Traditional music channel" and the music there is blowing me away! I've never heard such beautiful music. It's mostly folk music from various countries. I really love the Indian and Arabic and Persian music I must say - it's really "other worldly"! The music from Tajikistan had me in a trance, such gorgeous and ethereal music. It makes me feel like I'm finally stopping and smelling the roses in such a hectic fast paced world. Reminds you of what's important and how we began as people and what's important. I don't know, but I get those feelings and they're very good feelings. I'm reminded of my youth and simple times without problems.

There's also very beautiful Thai, Khmer, Cambodian, and Mongolian music. I'm serious I was almost in tears this morning listening to the Mongolian music. Isn't music beautiful?! I don't cry much from music that I can remember, but the girls voice and the melody were so beautiful that I almost broke down. I do cry very easily though ... which I pride myself on.

I realize that Spain was conquered at one time by Arab peoples. I'm wondering. Is that how Spanish music became "Andalusian" or is Arabic music considered Andalusian?

Also it appears that much of this music is modal and not harmonic like Western music. Is most music other than Western music modal? What do we mean by Western music really? Where did harmonic music originate?

Anyways, check out this channel for some very beautiful music. There's
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Where does Arabic music come from? What about Andalusan?

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:34 am

Glassy, your post seems to be have been cut off ...

Quick answer; there is no quick answer! - the connections been Arabic and Andalusian music, are pretty complicated. The Andalusian Gypsies, the standard thing goes, came there from North India (via Egypt, or at least popularly assumed to have, hence the name), but the similarity between North Indian and flamenco musics must be more complicated, because the sound world of North Indian is heavily derived from the Arabic influence taken there by the Mughals, which must have been after the Gypsies travelled west. At least, the reason I say that is that South Indians of my acquaintance make a strong musical distinction between the southern style, with little or no 'arabic' component, and the northern style, which has lots (the euphemism was the northern sounded 'sad'). Before I get completely out of my depth and write something completely ridiculous perhaps some of our Indian 'Campers might like to set this straight.
So I think you will find it is that the Andalusian sounds Arabic.
Re modal vs harmonic, well depends on definitions. You may have noticed that many of these other musics have little or no harmonic change; classical Indian for example plays over a drone. But modes e.g. scales exist in the western tradition, so as so often its about where one draws lines. By Western music typically one means the music of Europe and its off-shoots to the US etc, and it normally implies Classical music from Bach onwards though again it depends on the context.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

tormodg

Postby tormodg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:27 pm

glassynails wrote:I realize that Spain was conquered at one time by Arab peoples. I'm wondering. Is that how Spanish music became "Andalusian" or is Arabic music considered Andalusian?

Even the name "Andalusia" is Arabic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Andalus

I have visited the magnificient city of Granada a couple of times and toured the majestic Alhambra castle. The influence of Arabic culture is extremely strong in the region. I would not be suprised if music history also tells a similar story.
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

glassynails

Postby glassynails » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 pm

There's a recording of Arabic lute on YT and within it you can hear part's of Rodrigo's famous piece, I forgot what's it's called. Someone in the comments section mentioned it and I also heard it. I'll have to find the link, but you can definitely see where Spanish music is influenced by Arabic music.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Marshall Dixon

Postby Marshall Dixon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:25 pm

glassynails wrote:I thought that Andalusian music was spanish or flamenco music. lol. Anyways I've been listening to a channel on YT called "Traditional music channel" and the music there is blowing me away! I've never heard such beautiful music. It's mostly folk music from various countries. I really love the Indian and Arabic and Persian music I must say - it's really "other worldly"! The music from Tajikistan had me in a trance, such gorgeous and ethereal music. It makes me feel like I'm finally stopping and smelling the roses in such a hectic fast paced world. Reminds you of what's important and how we began as people and what's important. I don't know, but I get those feelings and they're very good feelings. I'm reminded of my youth and simple times without problems.

There's also very beautiful Thai, Khmer, Cambodian, and Mongolian music. I'm serious I was almost in tears this morning listening to the Mongolian music. Isn't music beautiful?! I don't cry much from music that I can remember, but the girls voice and the melody were so beautiful that I almost broke down. I do cry very easily though ... which I pride myself on.

I realize that Spain was conquered at one time by Arab peoples. I'm wondering. Is that how Spanish music became "Andalusian" or is Arabic music considered Andalusian?

Also it appears that much of this music is modal and not harmonic like Western music. Is most music other than Western music modal? What do we mean by Western music really? Where did harmonic music originate

The movie "Latcho Drom" is a beautiful musical documentary that tracks the migration of the Gypsy peoples from northern India to Andalusia. It might be hard to find a copy to rent as it was one of those movies that showed in the "independent" theaters. But really worth a look if you have a chance.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:...
The movie "Latcho Drom" is a beautiful musical documentary that tracks the migration of the Gypsy peoples from northern India to Andalusia. It might be hard to find a copy to rent as it was one of those movies that showed in the "independent" theaters. But really worth a look if you have a chance.

It seems to be viewable on YT.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Marshall Dixon

Postby Marshall Dixon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:17 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Marshall Dixon wrote:...

It seems to be viewable on YT.

Thank's so much for that info. I'll take a look.

glassynails

Postby glassynails » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 am

If you search YouTube for "ANDALUSIAN LUTH.avi" and listen about :55 seconds into this clip of the arabic luth you can hear Rodrigo's Concert Aranjuez almost note for note. A gentleman below in the comments noticed it and I can hear it also. It shows that Spanish/flamenco derives itself from Arabic scales.

Return to “The Café”