Woke up and saw a huge rat running across my ceiling

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Woke up and saw a huge rat running across my ceiling

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am

This happens occasionally. I also used to see huge spiders bigger than my hand coming down at me in the dark. It's weird because my eyes are open and I'm staring right at it and watch it run right across the ceiling and then it disappears behind the curtain above the head of my bed. Of course it's not there afterwards.

When it happened I had my light on and was dosing off on my back snoring and happened to awaken and see it right on the ceiling. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the space between dreaming and being awake, but if I didn't know any better I really would of thought that I saw a rat!

What I wonder about is how when I'm sleeping my mind can know where the ceiling is and then the moment I awaken place a very real image of a rat on the ceiling running across it and then hiding up behind the curtain. Also why am I always seeing spiders usually? Why is it always and insect or a rat? Actually tonight was the first time I saw a rat, it's usually spiders like I said. I'm afraid of spiders and I guess I would be of a rat too, maybe that's why.

Anyways, either it's an illusion or it's something real running across my ceiling. The funny thing is is that before I opened my eyes I could've sworn that I told myself (within a split second) that "watch there's gonna be something running across the ceiling like there usually is" and of course there was! I followed it as it ran very quickly and hid behind the curtain on the ceiling.

What's strange to me is that my eyes are following something on the ceiling, but most likely nothing's there. So this image is taking place inside my mind and my mind is convincing me that a rat is on my ceiling. Life is strange. Also, these things never really frighten me and I'm glad! As much as I saw the rat running, at the time deep down I knew it wasn't real and that it would disappear. The spiders do scare me kind of though. I usually end up awakening and then jumping quickly out of the way (it's usually falling from the ceiling) and then quickly turn the light on. Of course nothings ever there when I turn on the light. Darn, I'm afraid of beautiful women, how come they never appear instead when I wake up? :(
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Woke up and saw a huge rat running across my ceiling

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm

There is a point between waking and sleeping when we are both conscious of our external surroundings and still aware of our subconscious, dream world. This can result in the sorts of things you describe, physically reacting to something you were dreaming about, because of a collision of dreams and reality when the two coexist briefly in our perceptions.

As for why you often see spiders and rats, most people have recurring images and experiences in their dreams, for whatever reasons. Psychoanalysts have ideas about what the different images, etc. that we dream about represent: look up "dream analysis" if you're interested -- you might enjoy it! Cheers.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Go watch the movie "The Lost Weekend."

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 pm

These creatures are pretty harmless, they are only the the lost souls of former inhabitants looking after their house.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:56 pm

An anti-gravity rat!

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Last night I dreamt I was awake but when I woke up I was still sleeping.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Regarding rats - whatever you do, do not watch the movie, Willard.

Spiders too, eh?
Many people believe that we swallow an average of 8 spiders a year while we sleep. Spurious. They'd have to be way smaller than the spiders in your dreams though, unless you swallowed them in pieces.

Snakes on the bedroom ceiling would be worse. Spitting cobras and black mambas are so aggressive. Probably more so in dreams. So you've actually got it pretty easy with rats. Do not think about snakes when you go to sleep tonight. :mrgreen:

Here's a thought. Imagine what the favorite food is of the rats on your ceiling and keep some in a sealed container next to your bed to give them when their antics wake you. Then you'll be friends. Don't watch that movie, though. Really, don't

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

What about reading a novel before you fall asleep with rats where the rats are good and helpful human-like beings, like in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere?
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Last night I dreamt I was awake but when I woke up I was still sleeping.
Sounds like you need to take more water with it old lad... and maybe glassy does too.
Slainthe. :chaud:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Lawler wrote: ...Do not think about snakes when you go to sleep tonight. :mrgreen:
Ssssssssnaaaakes. Sssssnaaakes. [shiny pocket watch slowly swinging left, right, left, right] Try to not picture sssnaaaaaaaaakes in your miiiiiinnnnnnd. Bwahaha.
Imagine what the favorite food is of the rats on your ceiling and keep some in a sealed container next to your bed to give them when their antics wake you. Then you'll be friends...
Either that or they'll go into a feeding frenzy. Yeah, I watch too many horror movies.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Get a cat. They sure do get rid of spiders, rats, anything that flies or crawls for that matter. The perfect killers.
I remember when I had a real huge wolf spider in my bathroom, and I am afraid of big spiders. This one was as big as my hand. I'd just got my male cat Bruno (rip) he was 7 months old. I was calling for my female cat Popsi (14 years old now) to come and save me, but she was upset with the new cat at home. Bruno came running, he saw the spider and was very happy with the discovery. It did not seem to bother him much that he got bitten. He got very upset when he accidentally killed him five minutes later.
A cat solves your problem. Either get a Maine coon or a British short hair as these are quite big.
Even if you were dreaming just the though of having a cat around makes you feel safe

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Last night I dreamt I was awake but when I woke up I was still sleeping.
:lol: Good one! :lol:

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Hany Hayek wrote:Get a cat...
Or a mongoose. Just in caaaassssssssssse. Heh.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Are you off your meds again? :D Timber wolves eat a lot of rats, despite common belief. Perhaps envision tundra or timber wolves too. That would save money on exterminator fees. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 pm

The predator solutions mentioned would also require the care and feeding of an animal. Which would be time consuming even if you just had to dream it. Maybe a simpler solution would be to keep a slingshot next to your bed. Or if you have no upstairs neighbors, a shotgun, haha.

Return to “The Café”