Green Inferno

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Green Inferno

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Has anybody seen this movie? Plane crashes in Peruvian jungle and the survivors are captured by cannibals. It was gruesome, but at the end of the movie, the main character wakes up and it was all just a nightmare.
I haven't seen a movie like this since I was in high school. Those were the days when we all would go and see things like Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhees. After seeing this movie, I found myself wondering "why did I even pick this movie?"
I am glad that it was on HBO. I guess I am glad that I didn't pay money at the theater for it. But as I watched the movie, I am wondering what is the appeal of this type of movie? I was initially disgusted, but found myself watching to see what happens next. And in the end, it was all just a dream, albeit a bad one.

lagartija

Re: Green Inferno

Postby lagartija » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

WARNING: STRONG OPINION STATED BELOW

I refuse to watch any movies of that sort. It only encourages them to produce more rubbish just like it. IMO, watching gratuitous violence and gore as "entertainment" desensitizes people to the suffering of others and encourages passive spectator behavior when faced with a real situation (at best) or (at worst) gives unimaginative sadistic people ideas for new methods of inflicting suffering on others.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

dory

Postby dory » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm

I won't watch this type of movie either. In my case it is because I can't stand this sort of thing, but I also agree they may be a bad social influence. I am not sure that movies like Freddie Krueger cause an increase in violence as much as I, personally dislike them. However, I think the movies that are fairly realistic and involve people shooting each other (lots of violence and shooting) probably a negative social influence. However, my husband watches that type of movie (he never watches horror but can watch some pretty violent stuff) and is a kind and gentle person and is even a pacifist.
Dory

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:54 pm

lagartija wrote:WARNING: STRONG OPINION STATED BELOW

I refuse to watch any movies of that sort. It only encourages them to produce more rubbish just like it. IMO, watching gratuitous violence and gore as "entertainment" desensitizes people to the suffering of others and encourages passive spectator behavior when faced with a real situation (at best) or (at worst) gives unimaginative sadistic people ideas for new methods of inflicting suffering on others.

I usually don't watch this sort of movie, but after working in an emergency room for twenty years, I can tell you that the gore depicted in these type of movies is always way over the top. As far as being a spectator when faced with a real situation, I would imagine that a person with no medical training might do just that. Although lately, this type of movie has me reconsidering why I just jump in when there is an emergency, as being exposed to blood borne pathogens is a very real consideration. I can tell you that these movies aren't based in reality at all, thank heavens.

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Similarly, I have a deep suspicion of zombie movies, as they, I suspect, in their wholesale dismemberment of the zombies, are just lightly clothed genocidal fantasies. They have been symbolic for a long time, but this and making them comic is potentially dishonest and insidious, and Shaun of the Dead has an overly long, tedious, wordy ending, so, meh!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:Similarly, I have a deep suspicion of zombie movies, as they, I suspect, in their wholesale dismemberment of the zombies, are just lightly clothed genocidal fantasies. They have been symbolic for a long time, but this and making them comic is potentially dishonest and insidious, and Shaun of the Dead has an overly long, tedious, wordy ending, so, meh!
Oh no! I love zombie movies! The needed "suspension of disbelief" is huge as it applies to zombie movies. They are so fake and predictable. Usually some mutated virus takes over the corpse and they are instantly transformed. Or they have a few minutes, but it in no way reflects the reality of viral pathologies.

I strongly recommend:
zombie.jpg

This book is hilarious, ridiculous, and in no way engenders thoughts of cannibalism, homicidal ideation, or dismemberment of our fellow man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”