Where did the most well known guitarists study?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
edcat7

Where did the most well known guitarists study?

Post by edcat7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

I was flipping through the Royal Academy of Music's past students, since my teacher is a post-grad there and I was surprised at the number of well known guitarists who had graduated from there: Milos Karadaglic, Xuefei Yang, David Russell and our own Gary Ryan.

With these illustrious past students there must be pressure/expectation to succeed.

Where else have other 'celebrities' graduated from?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

alfaalex101

Re: Where did the most well known guitarists study?

Post by alfaalex101 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Berklee or just studying other guitar "God's" like Joe Satriani or EVH

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

As far as I know Segovia was pretty much self-taught; Bream and Williams studied piano at the Royal College of Music; Parkening was a prodigy of sorts and was already touring when he was a teenager. I don't think there were guitar departments in colleges of music when those 4 were in their formative years. It was because of them and others that the guitar is now studied seriously in universities.
Last edited by ddray on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:18 pm

alfaalex101 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 11:47 pm
Berklee or just studying other guitar "God's" like Joe Satriani or EVH
If you hadn't put an apostrophe in gods, you wouldn't have had to put the whole thing in double quotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/ironic overuse of shrieks]
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:32 am

There is some suggestion that Segovia did have a teacher in the early days but like so much of that period the truth has become lost in the myth. If he did then it was one on one. Bream and Williams certainly studied at the RCM which did not have a guitar department until Williams was asked to establish one. From memory Bream studied piano and cello and Williams studied piano and (?). Today I was watching a video of Matthew McAllister talking of Paris and expounding that the centre of guitar teaching seems to be moving there.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm

It's pretty well documented that Fernando Sor studied at the school of music in the monastery of Montserrat, near Barcelona [escolanía ó colegio de música de la Vírgen de Montserrát] from about 1790 to 1795. This music school had apparently been functioning since 1456. A detailed account of Sor's presence there can be read here (in Spanish)
http://fernandosor.es/menciones-a-ferna ... r-saldoni/
Yamaha GC42S

dory

Post by dory » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Ida Presti took private lessons with Mario Macafarri. I think that was her only formal musical training.
Alirio Diaz, seems to have had formal musical training. He attended La Escuela Superior de Música José Angel Lamas in Caracas. The institution still exists but I know absolutely nothing about it-- even if it is similar to a university or is just a music academy with no credential granting ability. He studied later with Regino Sainz de la Masa who was teaching at the Madrid Conservatory of Music but I don't know if Diaz studied there or was a private student. In any case he seems to have had more formal training in music than either Segovia or Ida Presti but I can't tell exactly how much more.
These days I think it is highly unlikely that someone without a formal degree from a music conservatory would become a famous guitarist, but I don't think this was necessary years ago. Interestingly those people seemed to have played pretty well too.
Dory

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:09 pm

If "well known" is meant to refer to the most accomplished guitarists, the most important place that any of them studied was in their own rooms.

Return to “The Café”