Obituary: Chuck Berry

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Alan Green

Obituary: Chuck Berry

Post by Alan Green » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 pm

A sad day; the lead lines to "Johnny B Goode" were almost the first thing I learned to play when I was learning lead guitar. I think it's the first thing anyone learns to play on lead guitar.

From the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39318602

Jack Douglas

Re: Obituary: Chuck Berry

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Sad news! Thanks for making us aware!
Hauser III 2014!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 pm

That's sad. Chuck Berry had a load of great rock tunes and he was a tireless performer. His influence can be heard practically in every sort of rock music.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:00 am

A true rock and roll legend is gone--RIP Chuck. I was privileged to see him in perform in person (with Little Richard) back in the '80s.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Hallex

Post by Hallex » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:41 am

RIP
Mr. Chuck
One of the good rock and roll fathers...
Sad...

Hallex
J Hallex.'.
Santana do Livramento - RS
Brazil
2b1ask1

Guitarhancock

Chuck Berry

Post by Guitarhancock » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 am

Not classical but a true classic. Chuck Berry passed away today at the age of 91 . All Hail Rock and Roll .Chuck B. Goode!!!!

John Lennon said if there needed to be another name for Rock and Roll it should be called Chuck Berry . music is music.

RIP

Jsglenn

Post by Jsglenn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 am

RIP Charles Edward Anderson Berry.
There is a great section in the book Play it Loud by Brad Tolinski and Alan di Perna on Chuck Berry. A small portion of which is:

"Reflecting on the significance of “Johnny B. Goode” and his other hits, Berry later played down his originality. He was attempting to marry the diction of Nat King Cole, the lyrics of Louis Jordan, and the swing of jazz guitarist Charlie Christian, but with the soul of Muddy Waters. “Ain’t nothin’ new under the sun,” he was fond of saying. But he was being modest. His synthesis of genres and his use of amplification were wholly original."

:guitare:

Adrian Allan

Re: Chuck Berry

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:57 am

It is interesting that you should discuss Chuck Berry. He was an enormous influence, no doubt.

However, let us not forget that the Twentieth Century giant of the classical guitar, Andres Segovia, hated the electric guitar, popular music, and everything that it stood for.

So have our opinions moved on in the classical guitar world from that of the esteemed maestro?
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I love Chuck Berry's music and have always greatly admired Segovia's playing and his extraordinary contribution to the classical guitar.
However, Segovia's opinions on popular music and the 'non-classical' guitar were never shared by me - so no, I haven't moved on!

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:It is interesting that you should discuss Chuck Berry. He was an enormous influence, no doubt.

However, let us not forget that the Twentieth Century giant of the classical guitar, Andres Segovia, hated the electric guitar, popular music, and everything that it stood for.

So have our opinions moved on in the classical guitar world from that of the esteemed maestro?
Really? Turning a thread about the death of a musical pioneer and icon into a thread about Segovia?

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Rasqeo wrote:
Adrian Allan wrote:It is interesting that you should discuss Chuck Berry. He was an enormous influence, no doubt.

Really? Turning a thread about the death of a musical pioneer and icon into a thread about Segovia?
No, it is an insight into the sometimes uneasy relationship between the classical guitar world and that of rock music.

No disrespect to Chuck Berry is intended as I prefaced the comment with "he was an enormous influence".
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

dng

Post by dng » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 pm

on YT

Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future (9/10) Movie CLIP (1985) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 am

I think we can probably all agree that Segovia was a bit dogmatic over certain subjects. I never shared his opinion on popular music and certainly wouldn't rubbish any kind of music just because it's not what I play.

Back to Chuck Berry ....

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 am

It is sad, but somehow I thought he had died years ago. :(
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

I was privileged to see him at a rock festival in the mid '70's. Rock and Roll wouldn't be what it is without him. Hate to see him go but all things and people pass.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Return to “The Café”