Feyman explaining "why" questions to Glassynails

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Feyman explaining "why" questions to Glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 am

This reminds me of my "why" questions, I thought I'd share it .... of course it's not me asking about the magnets, but let's pretend it is :lol:

Youtube
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Feyman explaining "why" questions to Glassynails

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 am

Is this the guy who plays bongos?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 am

Yes it is. Also the guy who won a Nobel prize in physics. Died too young, unfortunately.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 am

He's a very interesting guy and I just started listening to him, although I've known of him for a few years now. He reminds me of myself, although of course I'm not anywhere's near his level of intelligence.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 am

It just struck me that Feynman is the "Julian Bream" of Science! A very colorful and charming character!

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 am

Who?
-mitch

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 am

Feynman wrote:Who?
Is that you Feynman? I new that we can be conscious again! Here's my proof! :lol:

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 am

All this guff emanating from Glassy's existential angst is 'not even wrong' ... I was prompted to this by the Feynman tag here but now I find it was probably a quote from Wolfgang Pauli.

I think Bear's really got THE handle on what's important in life ... as for all the other verbiage ... navels aren't really all that interesting, especially other people's.

I acknowledge that many Bollywood fans will beg to differ. :mrgreen:
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 pm

glassynails wrote:He's a very interesting guy and I just started listening to him, although I've known of him for a few years now. He reminds me of myself, although of course I'm not anywhere's near his level of intelligence.
I don't think you should assume this. Not everyone is impressed by Feynman.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

I know (1st or 2nd degree) a bunch of physicists that were annoyed by him. Mainly by his antics. Gell-Mann has funny stories about this. He was Yin to Schwinger's Yang (I am not punning on CN Yang) in that Schwinger was very much about the mathematical formalism and rigor. Dirac was also like that. Also, many physicists at that level take very seriously the time we have on earth and dillydallying is frowned upon. Feynman messed around quite bit.

For me, personally, he was very influential. I found his curiosity and inquisitiveness really tantalizing.

He's known for diagrams, which technically pre-date Feynman, but that he popularized. The diagrams are really helpful. Solving certain things that keep cropping up in field theory gets really very, very redundant and tedious. Pages and pages of calculations. These techniques made leaning field theory easier and made time for other thinking.

I also liked that Feynman put himself out there. He ran a lecture where he tried to get a theory of gravity from the ground up. Of course, it didn't work, but you get to see his mind attack the problem. Normally a theorist would only show polished solutions to the world. Some kids at Caltech took notes and turned it into a book (Lectures on Gravitation).
物の哀れ

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

I think it was Steven Pinker who said something like "Richard Feynman wrote two books about how great he was, and he called one of them What do you care what other people think?"

The books are entertaining though. I had understood that the Feynman diagrams weren't the great leap forward he had first thought, but were still useful.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 pm

If you enjoy Feynman's interviews, then you probably enjoy the rest of these people too.

You might get a kick out of this "Symphony of Science" video. It's a clever use of auto-tune technology to make thought provoking narrative into song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 am

PeteJ wrote:
I don't think you should assume this. Not everyone is impressed by Feynman.
Why?
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Well, I don't want to start a row, but when Feynman speaks on topics beyond science he often talks nonsense. Some of what he says about religion and philosophy is embarrassingly naive. I admire his teaching skills but not his narrow approach. I meet many people who have no time for him and was just suggesting he might not be the best role-model for your research.

Return to “The Café”