Who would you call to replace an inside patio sliding door?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Who would you call to replace an inside patio sliding door?

Post by glassynails » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 am

I have to replace an old worn out aluminum 2 panel sliding door that goes from the kitchen to a 3 season room in between the kitchen and the back patio. Should I just go to a big box store or call a contractor and have them do the whole thing? I heard it should maybe cost a total of around $1200, but depending on the brand could go higher.

What do they mean when they say "call a contractor"? What type? Does anyone know of any descent door brands? I don't want top of line, but of course not junk either!

"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Contreras

Re: Who would you call to replace an inside patio sliding door?

Post by Contreras » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

Talk about moving from the sublime to the ridiculous Glassy!

How about calling that alternative you from that other multiverse where you're the sliding door repair guy?
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

If there is a 'mom and pop' building supply near you, go ask them. In my opinion, you'll usually get better advise there than from the big box building suppliers.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:24 am

Just purchase it from one of the big box stores and they will arrange everything.

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm

You're up in Maine, so make sure your replacement door is double-paned to stand up to your harsh winters. Not a good idea to cut corners when it comes to windows and doors. We have an Andersen sliding door leading to our back deck that's worked flawlessly for years and years, and I can't recommend this brand highly enough. Of course, they come standard with double insect screen doors for summer use as well. If interested, call your nearest Andersen dealer (should be easy to find online) and they can probably recommend a contractor, too. Surely not the cheapest brand, but if you're going to be living in that house for awhile it makes sense to invest in a high quality product.
Good luck.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Michael K7

Post by Michael K7 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:37 am

I'd call my brother-in-law, since he could basically build a house from the ground up, but since you don't have that option, go with a reputable company that will sell you the product and install it. warranty is mandatory.
Good luck
Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 am

How worn out is the old door? Is the frame bent up or mangled...lot's of times you simply need to tweak the rolling mechanisms and screws, because the wood of the house expands and contracts with humidity. They can be fixed up and sliding like new again with a little elbow grease.

Is this old slider a single glass thin type? If so, sure upgrade. Don't get call caught up in brand name hysteria. Just find a qualified installer. The weather sealing is the most important thing. Make sure you can inspect the wood when it is removed, then you have to decide how far to repair the existing frame, any rot should be dealt with.

Honestly if you are comfortable with some tools, this is not outside of the realm of DYI possibility, but it will take time.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Intune wrote:You're up in Maine, so make sure your replacement door is double-paned to stand up to your harsh winters. Not a good idea to cut corners when it comes to windows and doors. We have an Andersen sliding door leading to our back deck that's worked flawlessly for years and years, and I can't recommend this brand highly enough. Of course, they come standard with double insect screen doors for summer use as well. If interested, call your nearest Andersen dealer (should be easy to find online) and they can probably recommend a contractor, too. Surely not the cheapest brand, but if you're going to be living in that house for awhile it makes sense to invest in a high quality product.
Good luck.
Good advice. Glassy, if you lived closer I'd install it for you. Google "general contractors westbrook. maine". Check out references on line (Yelpppp et.al.), make sure they are licensed. Get a couple of quotes.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:59 pm

gitgeezer wrote:Just purchase it from one of the big box stores and they will arrange everything.

++
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

Return to “The Café”