On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by glassynails » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm 6 feet and 208lbs right now trying to get down to 195 or less hopefully. Anyways, I've finally decided to stop eating whatever and how much I want and I feel good after a few weeks. My heaviest was 215 I believe, but that could've also been water weight. I've got a little pot belly, but most people that meet me always say "you're not fat!" and truthfully for an American I'm less fat than most.

So anyways, I've been reducing my portions and learning to fast between meals and it feels good to let my body get hungry. I think this is how we're are meant to be naturally. We're not meant to eat all the time and to our fill and we're definitely not meant to eat junk food and drink soda pop. I've never really been a big soda or sweet drink drinker for over 15 year now I'd say. Before my diet, I may have had a small soda from McD's about once a week or twice at the most. I may have a beer about twice a year maybe.

So, I've noticed that the less I eat and the longer I go without between meals I can control my hunger more and I don't really think of eating much. I also consume coffee at work by sipping on just one cup throughout the day and this also reduces my appetite. I've also in general noticed that my appetite has been reduced and it doesn't take as much to "fill" me anymore. I never used to stuff myself, but I always at till I was about full. My problem was that I ate a lot of junk food between meals and also consumed quite a bit of fast food.

A few weeks ago I was about 211 in the morning and now I'm 208 and falling. I hope that by a few more days I'll be in the 207's. If I had to guess I'd say that I'm consuming around 1800 calories maybe, maybe less, but I'm not really counting just going by 'feel'. I'm not 'exercising', but I do have a part time cleaning job that I do and I move around for 2 hours 3 days a week doing vacuuming.

Anyone else on a weight loss journey? My lightest about 5 years ago was 175, but most people told me I looked to think at that weight.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Mr Kite

Re: On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by Mr Kite » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Diets are prisons for fat people. Eat sensibly without being obsessive and do some exercise. You'll find you love it if you give it a chance - we're made that way. Maybe if you take up yoga you'll find the answer to some of your other questions...

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:40 pm

You are still young! Remove the bad food (ready-made dishes and snacks between meals).
Learn to salt a little,not too much, your arteries and your kidneys will thank you later.

If you are hungry, start by drinking a LARGE glass of water (never soda, it is poison), and always have raw vegetables to chew in the fridge (small tomatoes, radishes, small pieces of carrots, cucumber , Nature, it is better) and you will find the taste of things simple but good.

Learn to cook vegetables (fresh or frozen) with herbs (parsley, basil, chives, etc.) and add spices (curry, curcuma, ras-el-hanout, piment, etc.).

Well, not ALL at the same time ... :mrgreen:

100grs of starch, and 150 grs of vegetables, with 100grs (eggs, meat or fish), a little cheese, not too much, and a fruit!
One meal a week, friends, restaurant, to have fun with a good dessert and good wine :ivresse:( a little ! )

Enjoy your meal ! Image
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 pm

glassynails wrote: So, I've noticed that the less I eat and the longer I go without between meals I can control my hunger more and I don't really think of eating much.
If you are curious why this is, this is likely your stomach shrinking a bit from its previous somewhat more distended state. One important signal for hunger and satiety (among several) is "mechanical" - as you - literally - fill up you stomach it sends the brain signals that cause reduction of the feeling of hunger. Now that your stomach has shrunk a bit, it takes less food to get the stomach to send the signal.
Last edited by guitarrista on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Google Leptin/ Ghrelin. These are the hormones that affect satiety/hunger.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm currently doing Atkins. It's the best "diet" I've ever done.
Last edited by Tubbers on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 pm

I have had periods of fasting for years (having reasons for that which are not allowed to discuss about on this forum), and every time I notice that the first week is really tough having less to eat, then the second one goes much better and when I'm returning to the normal diet after a month or so, I could go on with an "energy-reduced diet" without any difficulty. I have read somewhere that the stomach is quite fast in adopting the lesser food intake and shrinking itself. I have a few kilograms of overweight at the moment, but at least I seem to be able to not gain more of it.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not really following any specific diet, that sounds pretty boring! All I do is make my portions smaller and cut out most fast food and sweets and soda. I do eat Lean Cuisines here and there. I cut out cheese, but have a tiny bit. No sweets or soda, save for a PB+J sandwich. I have that on 100% whole wheat, natural peanut butter and light jam and spread fairly thin. Fruit, veggies, salads and seltzer water only. I drink coffee usually one cup a day.

Here's what I've had so far today:

Breakfast
small banana
water
coffee

Lunch PB+J sandwich
Seltzer water

Up to about 1000 cals so far or a little less?

Supper
Turkey sandwich
Whole wheat
turkey + 1/2 American cheese slice
mustard

I'd say another 400 cals?

snacking right now on
1/4 cup (roughly) peanuts and raisins

200 cals?

I might have some small soup or something later tonight

So maybe 2000 calories for the day or so. I'm losing weight so far!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm

glassynails wrote:....

Anyone else on a weight loss journey? My lightest about 5 years ago was 175, but most people told me I looked to think at that weight.
I love typos.

I suspect Glassy that you look to think whatever your weight. :)

Good luck with your diet.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I don't believe in diets. Just eat fresh, home cooked meals and eat a little less than normal if you want to lose weight and make sure of enough physical exercise.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:...make sure of enough physical exercise.
Yes to that.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Regarding hunger, it's good to think outside of one's own wants. Many of us are obsessed with ourselves. I'm speaking generally.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 am

In my late teens and early 20's I fought as a middleweight. My late 20's and early 30's I was a light heavyweight. I worked out a lot, ran long distance and ate whatever I wanted. At some point, I don't remember when exactly, I stopped and blew up to over 268 lbs. (I'm a hair over 6').
An altercation with a car ended my ability to run, This was my secret to weight control, but mostly, I just quit. Maybe burnt out.
One of the things that I discovered, was don't let yourself become overweight, some of the health problems that you acquire won't go away. The second thing is diets don't work, they just screw up your metabolism. What's needed is a lifestyle change. If, you alter your food intake (diet) make sure it's one that you can follow forever. The idea of a diet is that after you loose the weight you can go off the diet- not true.
My weight is down to 195 and I've had to give up some things. I don't drink a 2 ltr. bottle of soda every day or eat a pint of ice cream every night. For me it's portion control and no snacks. There is no junk food in my house. We buy Halloween candy every year and Halloween night I dump what's left in the trash before going to bed. My wife would like to save it for the grandchildren but I know that I can't be trusted.
I'd like to be at 185 but it's been a tug of war.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:46 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:I don't believe in diets. Just eat fresh, home cooked meals and eat a little less than normal if you want to lose weight and make sure of enough physical exercise.
Yeah, that's what I do basically, but what you eat is called your 'diet'.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:41 am

Glassy - last July I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic with an A1C of 6.5 and trending higher. The key for me has been limiting my sugar intake, white breads/starches, holding my carbs to 45-60 grams per meal, eating smaller portions with healthy snacks...and walking. Since then, I've lost 25 pounds, lowered my A1C to 5.6, improved blood pressure, seen drastic cholesterol improvement, and cut my diabetic meds in half. I would advise against a restrictive 'diet' as others have said. I'm no nutritionist, but I think your breakfast especially needs some protein...maybe some wheat toast with peanut butter or an egg.
Ken

Return to “The Café”