On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:32 pm
Rasputin wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:15 pm
I don't believe it matters what order the body burns calories in, only whether it burns fat at some point. If you have more calories going out than coming in, it has to burn fat at some point. It doesn't matter when.
:bravo:
Simple maths!
I didn't really want to dive into the complexities here, but "Calories in versus calories out" is far too simplistic. In the first place, simply following the "reduced calorie" concept, the person would experience large loss of muscle mass, along with, yes, fat loss. Jack LaLanne tells the story of his wife, who used to eat one piece of chocolate cake as her total calories for the day - she maintained a textbook weight - but was grossly unhealthy.

That's why I said specifically, people really want to lose fat, not weight. It's also not true that you burn more fat than carbs during low intensity exercise. You burn BOTH carbs and fats, until at some point of increased intensity, sugar burning goes through the roof, and fat consumption levels off. It is basic physiology that to burn fat, you must also burn carbs. But fast calories are carbs all the way.

There are so many complexities. Weight management psychology, pathologies like diabetes, age and other concerns related to ability to exercise, exercise physiology, and a modern understanding of nutritional science. Anyway, I'll shut up and follow Vanna White's plan : don't eat. :D Note the smiley!

Good luck to all of you who are on a program of weight management!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:03 pm
Evocacion wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:32 pm
Rasputin wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:15 pm
I don't believe it matters what order the body burns calories in, only whether it burns fat at some point. If you have more calories going out than coming in, it has to burn fat at some point. It doesn't matter when.
Simple maths!
"Calories in versus calories out" is far too simplistic. In the first place, simply following the "reduced calorie" concept, the person would experience large loss of muscle mass, along with, yes, fat loss.
Not really - unless you are a bodybuilder (and this thread isn't really about bodybuilders...) there's no need to be concerned about this effect.
It's also not true that you burn more fat than carbs during low intensity exercise.
No, but no-one said it was. I said that if you pick a low intensity exercise, the calories will come more from fat and less from carbs than they would if you had picked a high intensity exercise, but that the important thing is how many calories you burn in total, and that it is a mistake to worry about where they are coming from if you are trying to lose weight.
There are so many complexities.
It's one of those things that is as simple or as complex as you make it. If you make it complex, you confuse people and cause them doubts that make it even harder to stick to the program.

The real goal is a change in lifestyle that keeps you at a healthy weight. The diet mentality works against this because a diet is short term by nature. It is something to be endured - hopefully briefly - before life can go back to normal. But if normal is eating for pleasure, whether or not your body needs food, you are just going to rebound. Unless you can change the way you look at food, you will spend the rest of your life having to choose between self-deprivation and obesity. And changing the way you look at food is hard to do, not least because, if you think eating is a pleasure, you're right.

This is where exercise is a little different. If someone says they don't like exercise it's a bit like saying they don't like food or sex. It means there's something in the way. We enjoy it by nature, so if you can just remove that barrier you will have something solid and sustainable on the weight loss front that has lots of other benefits besides.
Good luck to all of you who are on a program of weight management!
Hear hear!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm

I am shoveling a yard of rock off my truck today onto the driveway. It's also fairly warm so that should burn a bit of fat I would think. :)
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Weighed in today at 198.8
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Weighed in today at 198.4
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Weigh in today at 196.8
Coming up on just about 40 lbs. dropped since March 7th. Yesterday, my doctor was very impressed and happy. My girlfriend too when I came out dressed in smaller clothes.
Help!

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm
Weigh in today at 196.8
Coming up on just about 40 lbs. dropped since March 7th. Yesterday, my doctor was very impressed and happy. My girlfriend too when I came out dressed in smaller clothes.
Congrats, but considering our need for entertainment your weight loss is too consistent. We need more ups and downs in the storyline... some surprises... maybe a greasy fast food dieting failure with a funny story attached... some drama! LOL.
"I got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell." Christopher Walken

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm
Weigh in today at 196.8

Darn it, you know you would have to stop shrinking at some point in the not-so-distant future, lest you disappear entirely! :D
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm
Darn it, you know you would have to stop shrinking at some point in the not-so-distant future, lest you disappear entirely! :D
:lol:

Weighed in today at 198.6
Back up a bit due to over doing it last weekend. :(
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 am

Tubbers wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm
guitarrista wrote:

I remember a couple years ago when I was serious about losing weight 195 seemed to be my plateau without"real" exercise. That doesn't mean I don't get any "exercise" as I do have a part time cleaning job and this summer did a lot of yard work, but not cardio "exercise" as one would when walking or running. I've gotta get serious about REAL exercise to get past 195 I think. Heck I'd be happy to get down to 200 again, but I haven't really been trying for the last 3 or 4 months. I'm still at around 212lbs right now at 6 feet, eating whatever and however much I want.

If I start dieting again I can get down to 204, 202 within about a month of reducing calories and not eating junk food just by dieting alone. I'm ok with 200 lbs at 6 feet, but ideally my doc said I should be at 180.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm

glassynails wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 am
Tubbers wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm
guitarrista wrote:

I remember a couple years ago when I was serious about losing weight 195 seemed to be my plateau without"real" exercise. That doesn't mean I don't get any "exercise" as I do have a part time cleaning job and this summer did a lot of yard work, but not cardio "exercise" as one would when walking or running. I've gotta get serious about REAL exercise to get past 195 I think. Heck I'd be happy to get down to 200 again, but I haven't really been trying for the last 3 or 4 months. I'm still at around 212lbs right now at 6 feet, eating whatever and however much I want.

If I start dieting again I can get down to 204, 202 within about a month of reducing calories and not eating junk food just by dieting alone. I'm ok with 200 lbs at 6 feet, but ideally my doc said I should be at 180.
Stalling in weight loss is disheartening. I’m 6’1” (used to be 6-2, talk about disheartening) and I’m currently 197. Previously, I stalled completely at 193. Like you, I’d really like to be 180-185. When I got down there before, I discovered that I could run again. I (and my knees) never much cared for running, but it was at least possible.

I think yard work can be pretty good exercise. I practice karate now, and do some work at the gym. I swim when the weather is nice. But it appears evolution is trying to help us survive the occasional famine. And I don’t remember skipping a meal in 30 years.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:05 pm

I would recommend the Canadian Air Force exercises. Only 11 minutes per day to get (and stay) fit! And no special equipment! (Actually, I bought myself a cheap mat, but that's not strictly necessary).
There are a number of sites where you can find details, free.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Weighed in today at 196.8
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Weighed in today at 197.2
I know it's going to take a while to shed these last 20 or so pounds, but I will do it no matter how long it takes. :)
Help!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:25 am

Weighed in today at 197.4
Help!

Return to “The Café”