On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Steve Kutzer

Re: On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Tubbers wrote:I started Atkins on March 7th. I was 230 lbs. Weigh in yesterday at 216.4.
Gonna have to change your user name!

Low carbing is the only way I can lose weight. And the initial loss of weight is always quite dramatic. But I've found I can't keep that up indefinitely. I end up missing bread and pasta, and then that leads to ice cream. So I spend my life moving between 185 and 205. I've been on a low carb diet now for a week.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm

There are bad low carb diets and there are good low carb diets.
The bad kind are where you give up complex carbohydrates.
The good kind are where you give up simple carbohydrates.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:33 pm

It's all just common sense people. Low carb, high carb .... who cares!, just eat less and try and eat healthy and you'll lose weight just like I am.

You can't eat Mcdonalds, pizza, ice cream, cake, candy and still lose weight! Not gonna happen. You don't have to starve yourself, you just have got to have a rough idea of how many calories you're taking in and eat vegetables, whole grains, a little meat if that's your thing. I eat chicken and red meat, but I don't eat a ton of it, I eat a portion like a deck of cards or two. I eat a banana and an apple. I eat 4 or 5 small meals a day.

Here's a normal "meal"

today for lunch
2 pieces whole wheat bread 160 calories
3 or 4 slices natural turkey
yellow mustartd

seltzer water

that's my lunch! That's it!

then I had a yogurt for a snack

I'll have some soup for supper and maybe banana
then another seltzer water

that's how you have to eat to lose weight you can't come home and have 3 bowls of macaroni or 1/2 a pizza for supper and then drink 3 or 4 beers a night or anything.

I don't drink beer either. Never have and never will. I know people that drink it every night and wonder why they have a huge beer gut! I might have a 6 pack a year if that.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 pm

I kind of chuckle when I see folks listing their weight down to the .1 a pound. Your body's water weight alone can vary by up to 2 pounds in a day. The best nutrition plans are the ones you can comply with over time and incorporate lifestyle changes. There is no demonstrable metabolic advantage to a Ketogenic diet like Atkins. The only advantage is if you like it and can comply. Don't be fooled by the quick initial weight loss from low carb/ ketogenic diets. It is mostly water weight loss. The important thing is a trend over time of lower body weight, ideally body fat loss while maintaining as much lean muscle mass as possible. This is why adequate protein and resistance exercise is important while reducing body weight. Day to day scale fluctuations are meaningless.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 pm

mmapag wrote:I kind of chuckle when I see folks listing their weight down to the .1 a pound. Your body's water weight alone can vary by up to 2 pounds in a day. The best nutrition plans are the ones you can comply with over time and incorporate lifestyle changes. There is no demonstrable metabolic advantage to a Ketogenic diet like Atkins. The only advantage is if you like it and can comply. Don't be fooled by the quick initial weight loss from low carb/ ketogenic diets. It is mostly water weight loss. The important thing is a trend over time of lower body weight, ideally body fat loss while maintaining as much lean muscle mass as possible. This is why adequate protein and resistance exercise is important while reducing body weight. Day to day scale fluctuations are meaningless.
They're not meaningless if they're trending downward and it's because you're consuming less food. You're losing weight, whether water or muscle. Yes, I agree we should exercise too, but plenty of people can lose weight by dieting also. Just don't eat like a slob and you should lose weight. Eat too much, sweets, etc and you're not gonna lose weight.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Tubbers wrote:I started Atkins on March 7th. I was 230 lbs. Weigh in yesterday at 216.4.
Gonna have to change your user name!

Low carbing is the only way I can lose weight. And the initial loss of weight is always quite dramatic. But I've found I can't keep that up indefinitely. I end up missing bread and pasta, and then that leads to ice cream. So I spend my life moving between 185 and 205. I've been on a low carb diet now for a week.
Same here - low carbing + walking/exercise. FWIW - I've lowered my carbs for a year, and I don't really miss bread, pasta, fries, or cereals. And even if I fail, I try to remember to just eat a bite or two. Breyer's makes a pretty good low-carb ice cream in 2-3 flavors. The key is to eat only the recommended serving size.
Ken

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 pm

glassynails wrote:
mmapag wrote:I kind of chuckle when I see folks listing their weight down to the .1 a pound. Your body's water weight alone can vary by up to 2 pounds in a day. The best nutrition plans are the ones you can comply with over time and incorporate lifestyle changes. There is no demonstrable metabolic advantage to a Ketogenic diet like Atkins. The only advantage is if you like it and can comply. Don't be fooled by the quick initial weight loss from low carb/ ketogenic diets. It is mostly water weight loss. The important thing is a trend over time of lower body weight, ideally body fat loss while maintaining as much lean muscle mass as possible. This is why adequate protein and resistance exercise is important while reducing body weight. Day to day scale fluctuations are meaningless.
They're not meaningless if they're trending downward and it's because you're consuming less food. You're losing weight, whether water or muscle. Yes, I agree we should exercise too, but plenty of people can lose weight by dieting also. Just don't eat like a slob and you should lose weight. Eat too much, sweets, etc and you're not gonna lose weight.
As I said above, the important thing is the trend over time. On a day to day basis or even within the same day, you can be either up or down. What matters is the trend over time. So we agree.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

henders

Post by henders » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Sinderion wrote:To anyone who still believes in dieting: according to the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania, nearly 65 percent of dieters will return to their pre-dieting weight within three years. You're fooling yourself if you believe changing your eating habits for a limited amount of time will actually have lasting results. What you ought to do instead, is change your eating habits FOREVER. Learn to live without sugar (or limit to 2-3 teaspoons/day), learn to like the taste of vegetables and legumes (and to cook better), drink more water, and most importantly, calculate your "recommended daily caloric intake" and try to maintain a caloric deficit. A caloric deficit of 500 calories every day will make you lose about a kilogram (2 pounds) every 2 weeks. You should not try to eliminate either carbs or fats, you should not try to "cleanse" anything, you should not expect to lose a lot of weight fast. This is the best advice I can come up with after 5 years of medical school.
Good advice, but two to three teaspoons of sugar a day sounds like a lot, especially when you consider all the sugar that's already been added to packaged foods. It's in everything.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I can eat as much and as crappy as I want and I never seem to get over 212 naked. I'm 6 feet. So that's the good news. But of course it's bad to eat whatever and how much ever you want for your health and heart.

I wanna get down to 180 though. I was 205 this morning. I'm already looking thinner. If I get under 200 I'll be happy.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon May 01, 2017 7:15 am

Weighed on April 28th I've dropped another 1/2 pound.
I was layed up for over a week and wasn't able to get any exercise in. I know I'm burning fat because I use the ketone strips.
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

Glassy here checking in for Monday morning, 5-1-17 at 204.4 lbs.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm

glassynails wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am
Glassy here checking in for Monday morning, 5-1-17 at 204.4 lbs.
I'm currently shooting for that weight too, but my ultimate goal is 170. :)
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Tue May 02, 2017 11:30 am

Glassy checking in for Tuesday morning at 203.8 lbs!

Even avoided a piece of lemon crumb pie last night! I had a lemon yogurt instead.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Glassy checking in for Wednesday morning at 203.2!

Approaching 202's hopefully within a few days or a week. I'm not starving myself, just eating 'sensibly' I would say. I think I'm under 2000 cal a day though, but I'm not really counting. Just taking it by feel.

Here's what I can recall eating yesterday.

6 am
1/2 bagel with 1 teaspoon peanut butter

snack on approx.1/4 cup peanuts and craisins

1030 am
2 whole wheat bread 80 cal each
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
2 small breaded boneless chicken
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
beef soup (Progresso low sodium)
added a little white rice
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all. I just break it up into small 'meals' throughout the day.

I'm now switching from peanuts to walnuts as I think they're healthier and I'm going to start eating more salads and putting lots of greens into my sandwiches to up my greens intake. I've got to start pounding down the greens!

dory

Post by dory » Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 pm

I was told by my doctor that a ketogenic diet is dangerous long term. I know there is controversy around the topic. Most doctors say ketogenic diets are bad but I imagine not all do. I don't feel well on ketogenic diets and don't like meat so they are not for me. Other people are undoubtedly different.
Dory

Return to “The Café”