On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 pm

glassynails wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm
Glassy checking in for Wednesday morning at 203.2!

.../...

A good cock is never fat! ( French proverb) ..
Last edited by Isabelle Frizac on Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 am

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 pm
glassynails wrote:

Approaching 202's hopefully within a few days or a week. I'm not starving myself, just eating 'sensibly' I would say. I think I'm under 2000 cal a day though, but I'm not really counting. Just taking it by feel.

Here's what I can recall eating yesterday.

6 am
1/2 bagel with 1 teaspoon peanut butter

snack on approx.1/4 cup peanuts and craisins

1030 am
2 whole wheat bread 80 cal each
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
2 small breaded boneless chicken
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
beef soup (Progresso low sodium)
added a little white rice
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all. I just break it up into small 'meals' throughout the day.

I'm now switching from peanuts to walnuts as I think they're healthier and I'm going to start eating more salads and putting lots of greens into my sandwiches to up my greens intake. I've got to start pounding down the greens!
With this diet, you will soon have worries about diabete and cholesterol. :shock:

Eat more vegetables, cooked or raw, and less fat, sugars, etc.

Where's all the fat and sugar?
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 am

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 pm
glassynails wrote:

Approaching 202's hopefully within a few days or a week. I'm not starving myself, just eating 'sensibly' I would say. I think I'm under 2000 cal a day though, but I'm not really counting. Just taking it by feel.

6 am

1030 am
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all. I just break it up into small 'meals' throughout the day.

I'm now switching from peanuts to walnuts as I think they're healthier and I'm going to start eating more salads and putting lots of greens into my sandwiches to up my greens intake. I've got to start pounding down the greens!
With this diet, you will soon have worries about diabete and cholesterol. :shock:

Eat more vegetables, cooked or raw, and less fat, sugars, etc.

My cholesterol was excellent according to my doctor last week also.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 am

Believe me, compared to the average Western diet this is benign! Let me tell you what the average person in my office eats! The debate is still on about high carbohydrate vs. low carb diets. There are cultures where they eat lots of pasta and rice and they don't suffer from as much diabetes and high cholesterol as we do in America. Everyone can debate on and on about diet, etc. Every diet has it's plus and minus. My diet is mostly a reduced calorie diet so that I can lose weight, which I am doing slowly. I've lost about 10 lbs in 6 weeks. I used to eat a lot of Mcdonalds and fast food almost daily, so this diet for me is rather healthy. I'm eating 100% whole wheat bread, yogurt (plain yesterday), seltzer water, nuts, etc.

Yes, I should be amping up my vegetable, which I am going to try and start doing. The Chinese consume large amounts of white rice and as far as I know don't have diabetes as much as we do. I consumed 1 cup of cooked white rice yesterday ..... big deal. There were times when I ate a whole take out box of rice and I don't have diabetes.

You only live on life, so eat everything in moderation and a little less is my new motto. You can eat totally perfect and stress all out about it and spend tons of money on elaborate ingredients or you can eat whatever you want and you're still going to die just like I am. My grandmother ate WHATEVER she wanted and just died at 92! I think it's more about your overall health and weight. Does the mediterranean diet have no carbs and sugars?

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

it's OK ! Do as you see fit ...
but no one stops you from asking for a medical opinion or consulting a nutritionist or a dietitian!

Good continuation . :bye:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm
it's OK ! Do as you see fit ...
but no one stops you from asking for a medical opinion or consulting a nutritionist or a dietitian!

Good continuation . :bye:
I've read up on the French diet. They seem to not worry and eat plenty of cheese, baked good, etc. I'm not eating baked goods right now and if I do they will be in moderation. Today I had a peanut butter jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. So you've got 2 80 cal slices of 100% whole wheat bread, peanut butter (Yes, I realize it can be a little bad) for protein and no-sugar jam. That's way better than eating pizza or a double cheese hamburger at Mcdonalds like many Americans do almost daily.

Yesterday I had 2 skimpy slices of roast beef and a ton of lettuce and some mustard on 2 whole wheat. 100% whole wheat bread is a complex carb, not a simple carb.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Here's a quote from 'rationalwiki' on low carb/sugar diets

"Does it work?

Basically, yes and no. Low-carb diets can lower your body weight faster than low-energy diets, but not without cost. Your body needs energy to survive, just as any nutrient in food, and carbohydrates provide it as the most convenient form. Getting the energy from proteins really doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you look at it in terms of our evolutionary history. Early humans (in the Paleolithic period) were generally agreed to be long distance runners, who would chase animals till they died of exhaustion, or became paralyzed by heat stroke and could not run or fight when caught up with by their hunters. Humans are one of the few species that are able to run for long distances at close to max speed, and we used this to chase prey animals 15-20 miles until we could just club them to death. This is, first of all, not a method of hunting that lends itself to a high protein diet. And as any long distance runner or cyclist will tell you, you need carbs a lot more than you need protein when you're doing a long run.[8]

Furthermore, getting the majority of your calories from protein and fat puts you at a much higher risk for disease[citation needed]. Looking at available research will tell you that you aren't getting sick from eating bananas or potatoes but from eating high protein[citation needed], fatty foods; e.g. that McDonalds double cheeseburger[citation needed]. Human physiology is quite comparable to that of our wild primate cousins. With this in mind, looking at what chimps, for example, are eating and what we are eating, there appears a strong discord. While chimps get almost all of their calories from fruits and leaves (carbs) we tend to eat only half of our calories from carbs. This is already significantly lower and likely telling of what might be wrong. To limit carbs even further doesn't make sense, unless the carbs in question are high glycemic index ones, such as sugars. "

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Tue May 09, 2017 11:33 am

Glassynails checking in on Tuesday at 5am, May 9, 2017 at 203.0 lbs.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue May 09, 2017 1:54 pm

If you want to have people lecture you, tell them you are on a low-carb diet. Even more incendiary is saying Atkins. I've learned to just say I've cut sugar out of my diet.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I did a search on this thread for "exercise" and found no mention. A big component of good health.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue May 09, 2017 3:01 pm

But the topic was specifically diet. Certainly exercise is important to good health, but it's my belief that weight gain/loss is 80% diet and 20% activity.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue May 09, 2017 8:44 pm

dory wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 pm
I was told by my doctor that a ketogenic diet is dangerous long term. I know there is controversy around the topic. Most doctors say ketogenic diets are bad but I imagine not all do. I don't feel well on ketogenic diets and don't like meat so they are not for me. Other people are undoubtedly different.
I don't want to argue about the validity of the doctor's statement; just to note that glassy is not doing a ketogenic diet at all - his carbohydrate intake is about 50%, in terms of Calories, of the total caloric intake.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm

glassynails wrote:

6 am

1030 am
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all.
This barely breaks 1500 Calories, perhaps a bit too low especially if you used to ingest 2-3 times as much in terms of Calories before the diet. Also your weight loss seems to be decelerating in recent weeks, so your base metabolism rate might be going down which might cause you to plateau around 202-203 lbs. Also your protein is a bit low - around 90g. I'd say add another small meal rich in protein and add a bit of exercise and see if your loss restarts.

P.S. I used Wolfram Alpha to quickly get the nutritional info - you can enter what you typed above directly and it figures out what you mean :shock:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

As of May 5th I'm holding at 215.
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 am

guitarrista wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm
glassynails wrote:

6 am

1030 am
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all.
This barely breaks 1500 Calories, perhaps a bit too low especially if you used to ingest 2-3 times as much in terms of Calories before the diet. Also your weight loss seems to be decelerating in recent weeks, so your base metabolism rate might be going down which might cause you to plateau around 202-203 lbs. Also your protein is a bit low - around 90g. I'd say add another small meal rich in protein and add a bit of exercise and see if your loss restarts.

P.S. I used Wolfram Alpha to quickly get the nutritional info - you can enter what you typed above directly and it figures out what you mean :shock:
Thanks for all your work! You may be right, I seem to be hovering at 203.0 now, but I haven't gone the bathroom yet this morning. Usually I'm up to a pound lighter after lol. The average male (sedentary) needs 56 grams protein a day. I have a cleaning job 3 nights a week. That's the extant of my physical activity. Yes, I realize I have to get exercising more.

A couple years ago I seemed to plateau at 195 though. I believe I'm headed there. Hopefully. If I can get down to 198 I'll be happy for now. The hard part is staying there!

Basically I think all I'm doing is giving up on sweets and soda. Yes, I have sugar in my diet, but nothing like I used to ingest. I used to be a daily sweet eater.

Return to “The Café”