On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Re: On a diet, my hunger is diminishing after a few weeks

Post by glassynails » Wed May 10, 2017 12:35 pm

It could also be that I had a few bad foods on the weekend. I had a couple slices of pizza and a few cookies. When I have days off I seem to fall off the bandwagon a little. If I'm at work it's very easy to maintain my diet. A Structured day helps me stay on course I'm discovering. If I just wake up whenever I want, like on the weekend and poke around half the day, etc, I can easily mess up my diet.

Like I said though I think my real plateau may be around 195, which I'm fine with, but that's the plateau I hit a couple or few years ago WITHOUT any exercise or very low exercise. My week point is exercise, I'm a lazy guy really. I do like walking though, but even looking at people jogging tires me out. Hey, we're all going to die someday. Maybe in my case, the sooner the better lol.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm
glassynails wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm
Glassy checking in for Wednesday morning at 203.2!

Approaching 202's hopefully within a few days or a week. I'm not starving myself, just eating 'sensibly' I would say. I think I'm under 2000 cal a day though, but I'm not really counting. Just taking it by feel.

Here's what I can recall eating yesterday.

6 am
1/2 bagel with 1 teaspoon peanut butter

snack on approx.1/4 cup peanuts and craisins

1030 am
2 whole wheat bread 80 cal each
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
2 small breaded boneless chicken
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
beef soup (Progresso low sodium)
added a little white rice
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all.
This barely breaks 1500 Calories, perhaps a bit too low especially if you used to ingest 2-3 times as much in terms of Calories before the diet. Also your weight loss seems to be decelerating in recent weeks, so your base metabolism rate might be going down which might cause you to plateau around 202-203 lbs. Also your protein is a bit low - around 90g. I'd say add another small meal rich in protein and add a bit of exercise and see if your loss restarts.

P.S. I used Wolfram Alpha to quickly get the nutritional info - you can enter what you typed above directly and it figures out what you mean :shock:
You will lose weight on a calorie deficit, even if your metab slows.
https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/5-tips-to ... c-slowdown
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:06 pm

I feel so much better if I do exercises that gets my heart rate up... biking, walking, jogging. In the winter, I love shoveling snow with a hand shovel. I use good form and posture to throw the snow into a pile. It's a rhythmic aerobic exercise 1/2 hour to 3 hours depending on how much snow in on the ground.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed May 10, 2017 3:38 pm

guitarrista wrote:
glassynails wrote:

Approaching 202's hopefully within a few days or a week. I'm not starving myself, just eating 'sensibly' I would say. I think I'm under 2000 cal a day though, but I'm not really counting. Just taking it by feel.

6 am

1030 am
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
1/2 tuna sandwhich

that's it ... too lazy to add up cals, but would assume under 2000 and I wasn't hungry at all.
This barely breaks 1500 Calories, perhaps a bit too low especially if you used to ingest 2-3 times as much in terms of Calories before the diet. Also your weight loss seems to be decelerating in recent weeks, so your base metabolism rate might be going down which might cause you to plateau around 202-203 lbs. Also your protein is a bit low - around 90g. I'd say add another small meal rich in protein and add a bit of exercise and see if your loss restarts.

P.S. I used Wolfram Alpha to quickly get the nutritional info - you can enter what you typed above directly and it figures out what you mean :shock:
Guitarista, you are correct that eating too little can result in adaptime thermogenesis or a reduction in the body's energy requirement. That is very counter productive for weight loss. You guesstimate on the protein is probably about right. The rule of thumb is .6 grams per lb of Lean body mass. At the height and weight mentioned, that is probably around 25% body fat. So roughly 152 lbs lean mass. You are right there for a sedentary person. It is almost double for someone getting vigorous exercise. This is no such thing as an "average" as each person's body composition and activity level is unique.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 10, 2017 4:53 pm

mmapag wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 3:38 pm
guitarrista wrote:
glassynails wrote:

6 am

1030 am
2 slices turkey natural
mustard

11am
yogurt greek

apple

3pm
1 cup white rice
1/4 cup baby carrots

7pm
1/2 tuna sandwhich

Guitarista, you are correct that eating too little can result in adaptime thermogenesis or a reduction in the body's energy requirement. That is very counter productive for weight loss. You guesstimate on the protein is probably about right. The rule of thumb is .6 grams per lb of Lean body mass. At the height and weight mentioned, that is probably around 25% body fat. So roughly 152 lbs lean mass. You are right there for a sedentary person. It is almost double for someone getting vigorous exercise. This is no such thing as an "average" as each person's body composition and activity level is unique.
I think I'm under 25% bf. In all the pictures I see of the different body shapes at various body fat percentages I'm way below what 25% looks like, but not as fit as the 20%, but I'd say almost. If most people saw me from the front in boxers, they'd say I'm in shape and not fat at all.

[img] http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/upl ... -men-1.jpg[\img]

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Glassynails - 202.6 - 6 feet 9:00 am, original weight 213

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm

glassynails wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 pm
I'm weighing in tomorrow and hopefully not still stalled.
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm
glassynails wrote:
Good luck Tubbers! It can be done. I'm gonna get down to 195 if I have to starve myself! Actually, I'M NOT STARVING MYSELF now, I'm just eating enough and eating small meals. I try and make my meals like the size of a lean Cuisine or something. It's not difficult to eat sensibly, you just have to be able to stop eating when you feel almost filled.

Don't drink soda, drink seltzer water instead (does it for me). Eat sweets very sparingly! I had 1/2 muffin in a week, that's it! Sweets are a rare treat as they should be, not daily, and not every other day either! If you want a sweet or are craving one say late at night - eat a yogurt instead.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 pm

glassynails wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Tubbers wrote:
glassynails wrote:
Good luck Tubbers! It can be done. I'm gonna get down to 195 if I have to starve myself! Actually, I'M NOT STARVING MYSELF now, I'm just eating enough and eating small meals. I try and make my meals like the size of a lean Cuisine or something. It's not difficult to eat sensibly, you just have to be able to stop eating when you feel almost filled.

Don't drink soda, drink seltzer water instead (does it for me). Eat sweets very sparingly! I had 1/2 muffin in a week, that's it! Sweets are a rare treat as they should be, not daily, and not every other day either! If you want a sweet or are craving one say late at night - eat a yogurt instead.
Joy! Joy! Joy! Weighed in at 213.2 today. Thanks for the encouragement, glassy. :)
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri May 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 pm
glassynails wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Tubbers wrote:

Joy! Joy! Joy! Weighed in at 213.2 today. Thanks for the encouragement, glassy. :)
Great work!
I'm still at 203.8 today. I was 202.6 a couple weeks ago, but I think it's water. Either way I seemed to have stalled at around 203. I'm not exercising much, save for a cleaning job 3 days a week for 1 1/2 hours vacuuming a night. Not a big deal, but I'd like to get under 200, but I'm ok at 203. I'm still watching my weight though and eating less. I did have 3 donuts Monday on a sweet binge! That may be it too. I go off on binges here and there for a day or so usually on the weekend and eat pizza and stuff. I don't eat many pieces, but still maybe 2 or 3 and then a soda. Like I said, as long as I don't get back up to around 210 and as long as I keep eating 85% to 90% healthy. If I ate whatever I wanted I easily get right back up to 210 or maybe more.

It's a lifelong process and you've gotta have balance. Life is short, balance and remember that in the end nothing matters anyways. You've gotta put all of life in perspective. Save, exercise, work hard, but not too hard, and remember that in the end in doesn't matter anyways, rich or poor, fat or skinny, we all go in the dirt. That's not pessimism, that's reality and it's comforting to realize that and keep life in perspective.

Enjoy each day of life the best that you can and take it as a gift of one more day that we have on Earth. Never take life for granted, nor your health, nor your wealth or your future. Relax and smell the roses once in a while, don't get caught up in the rat race and keeping up with the neighbors. Remember that in an instant it can all be "taken away from you"! Remember that any time that you get caught up in all the BS of life and stressed out that you aren't as rich as your fellow man or well along in a career as he is or whatever or don't have a stock portfolio or a 401k as big as he does.

Remember that the homeless man in the street, drinking from a beer bottle is just as much a man as you are and just as worthy of respect and comfort as you are. He may even be more intelligent than you, but just doesn't give a 'rat's a#!' about this life and all its BS. Maybe he's happy living his life as he does without all the stress of daily life or having to sit in a cubicle all day without sunshine on his face and dealing with all of his 'bosses' BS.

Now it's a beautiful day and I'm going to go practice "Dansa Pomposa' and maybe a couple Torroba pieces in my car at Fort Williams Park and take in a little sunshine and one on one time with myself. Just me, myself and I and my guitar, the way I like it! But I love people too, don't get me wrong!

Peace and love,
Glassynails

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm

I agree with all you said Glassy, especially about the 'rat race.' That is why I moved from the bay area in California to a small town in Washington. I was literally going insane down there.
Today I weighed in at 211.2
19 pounds off in 10 weeks. :)
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm
I agree with all you said Glassy, especially about the 'rat race.' That is why I moved from the bay area in California to a small town in Washington. I was literally going insane down there.
Wow! Doing better than me! I weighed back in a 202.6 the other day again. I think I'm a little stuck around 203, 202 mark, but like I said, I couldn't care right now. I know that with a little exercise thrown in I can drop under 200, but right now I'm really busy. I'm going to start throwing in a 1/2 hour to an hour walk one of these days.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon May 22, 2017 7:35 pm

glassynails wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 pm
Tubbers wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm
Wow! Doing better than me! I weighed back in a 202.6 the other day again. I think I'm a little stuck around 203, 202 mark, but like I said, I couldn't care right now. I know that with a little exercise thrown in I can drop under 200, but right now I'm really busy. I'm going to start throwing in a 1/2 hour to an hour walk one of these days.
Makes it sound a bit easier when I say that I'm a 1/3rd of the way to my goal. :)
Help!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Tue May 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Glassynails

201.6 this morning! 6 feet.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 pm

glassynails wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:59 pm
Glassynails

201.6 this morning! 6 feet.
I wish I was 6 feet tall. My nephew is 6 foot 4. :)
Help!

Return to “The Café”