How many performing musicians are here in the forum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Sobers

How many performing musicians are here in the forum?

Post by Sobers » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

As on today 17th April 2017, we can see there are 3717 members in the forum. (If we add those who failed to maintain the account or retired then the number would be 5000 I guess but that's out of question)

Many are enthusiasts, many are learners, luthiers, teachers, composers, writers, concert organizers etc.
There are some acoustic/electric players, jazz players, record collectors too.
What I wanted to know is 'How many are there who play CG part time or full time or who use CG as an instrument in any form of music performance?' (Like I myself don't alter the instrument in any way but I play Classical, flamenco, jazz etc.)
How many are performing musicians struggling at this moment? (in the forum I mean)

Is there any informed guess we can use?

Andrew Pohlman

Re: How many performing musicians are here in the forum?

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I perform regularly. I try to get paying gigs, but as an intermediate player, I mostly play "volunteer" gigs for schools, old folks homes, hospitals, etc.

I use classical guitar when I do music therapy sessions with my psychiatric patients - which is "sort of" a paid gig because I certainly don't do music therapy for free!!!

My last paid performance was two weeks ago for an audience of about 40 computer teachers at a conference. I earned the handsome figure of $75 for 45 mins of music. I was very well received, even though I stated I am but a humble intermediate student of CG.

I think we have some awesome performers among the forum goers. I hope they share their stories.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 am

Thank you Andrew,
I tried several times to learn about others' experiences on performing professionally (in many other threads) but failed so far. Maybe it's a secret they don't want to share :)

But here, I was looking for some statistical information about performing Classical/non-classical guitarists using proper Classical guitar without EQ. Because from my experience I know that's the toughest act.

I am eager to know how many are trying to stick to the traditional CG while performing his/her music.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Would you include those of us who play in churches or other places of worship? Whilst those of us who do this are unlikely to be paid, it certainly comes under the category of playing classical guitar in front of a group of people although I wouldn't generally call it performance but rather using the instrument to lead people into song.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Rephrasing the question(s) may be the key to getting good stats? What facts/information are you seeking?
Would you like to know:
The number of paid performers/performances?
What are the most popular venues for CG?
The going rate for a certain type of gig?
Who books solo vs. teaming up with a partner or a group?
Who never ever uses amplification and leaves the hybrid in storage?
Etc.

Perhaps the seasoned players are too busy rehearsing and performing to submit a response?

I will continue to follow this thread with interest. Inquiring minds want to know!

For what it is worth, I play CG anywhere I am invited to do so. Sometimes paid, frequently pro bono . Libraries and senior resident facilities are my favorite venues.
As for the audience, size doesn't matter. :D

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:Would you include those of us who play in churches or other places of worship? Whilst those of us who do this are unlikely to be paid, it certainly comes under the category of playing classical guitar in front of a group of people although I wouldn't generally call it performance but rather using the instrument to lead people into song.
Of course you are performing a CG after all...

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 pm

CathyCate wrote:Rephrasing the question(s) may be the key to getting good stats? What facts/information are you seeking?
Would you like to know:
The number of paid performers/performances?
What are the most popular venues for CG?
The going rate for a certain type of gig?
Who books solo vs. teaming up with a partner or a group?
Who never ever uses amplification and leaves the hybrid in storage?
Etc.

Perhaps the seasoned players are too busy rehearsing and performing to submit a response?

I will continue to follow this thread with interest. Inquiring minds want to know!

For what it is worth, I play CG anywhere I am invited to do so. Sometimes paid, frequently pro bono . Libraries and senior resident facilities are my favorite venues.
As for the audience, size doesn't matter. :D

As I said earlier I tried to learn about others' professional experiences in other threads.. some still exist
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=102874 and
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=88393

But here I wanted to know about just the number of performing artists (those use CG without EQ) among these 3700 app members... BUT your experiences are most welcome

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 pm

To answer the question of EQ or not:
I use different amplification at different times - always a mic. My customary set up is a Fender Twin Reverb (silver face), SM58 mic with adapter, flat EQ, and reverb on 3.

I hope that this time, I actually answered your question. I encourage others who perform to respond too. I think this is valuable information for these forums.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Yep - I play solo CG at weddings, receptions, family events, corporate events, restaurants and so on. I play electric lead with a Big Band too

Mondays, at 9 o/c, I'm in a teaching room, CG in hand - 86 students a week plus the private ones

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm

I was active for many years (about '97-'12 or so). With a guitar duo, we were together for 8 of those years ('98-'06)

Played plenty of weddings and other gigs.

But, my primary income had always been teaching.

Now, following an extended recovery from an auto accident, I'm working full-time as a church musician and teaching a little at a local School For the Arts. I do play my CG fairly regularly now for instrumental parts of the services, and am working on developing small ensembles (even just duos again, which I love!). At the School, I have 0 classical students, which is unfortunate. I hope that, in time, that will change. Classical guitar is a craft well-worth passing on.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Gurdyman

Post by Gurdyman » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm

I play 2 three-hour gigs per week, plus other miscellaneous gigs as they come in. My wife usually plays lead on her harp and I accompany her with the classical guitar. People come up to us in the time between sets and thank us for the music and throw a couple of bucks into the guitar case. One dollar bill had the following message: "Will there be music like this when we get to heaven?" It just makes busking worthwhile.

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you all for you experiences... may I wish more
Gurdyman wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm
"Will there be music like this when we get to heaven?" It just makes busking worthwhile.
this line gave me an idea of a separate post topic/thread

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 am

I perform solo CG regularly at corporate events, functions and weddings, using a top end Takamine electro-classical plugged into a Roland AC40 amp. I also play occasional recitals without amplification, on a concert guitar. My main income is from teaching though.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 pm

I perform Bossa / Swing / Latin in an ensemble. In the moment, since I moved to the Azores 10 weeks ago, the ensemble is my wife (vocals) and me. We're still looking for a percussionist.
We've had two paid late afternoon gigs in a beach café/bar until now and hopefully there will be some more in August - depending on the weather/wind/waves. The kind of music we are playing is, satirically spoken, in German »Fress-Jazz«, which means "Gorge" or "Guzzle Jazz". When pronounced in German, »Fress« and »Jazz« rhyme (both pronounced like "chess"). Nobody listens, nobody spends applause, people com up the beach, eat and drink and go: you're nothing better than a radio. 3 sets à 45-50 min, setup and removal of the equipment...makes 5 h for one gig.

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 am

Gurdyman wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm
"Will there be music like this when we get to heaven?"
Well yes!

Revelations 14:2 "And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps"

Get practising...

Return to “The Café”