How many performing musicians are here in the forum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
powderedtoastman

Re: How many performing musicians are here in the forum?

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 am

For those of you who do corporate functions and similar, do you have any suggestions on how to find those gigs?

I've decided recently that I'm ready to start playing out more. I have a weekly volunteer gig that I think is going pretty well and people respond quite positively to my music. I recently had somebody pass by and ask if he could hire me for a garden party but haven't gotten a follow up yet. For that particular gig I don't know if it's appropriate to advertise but I am not opposed to giving out my contact if somebody asks for it unsolicited.

I am going to play at a coffee shop later this month and I'm preparing some business cards to bring along at least, but the location is a little far so I don't really know that I'd actually want to get called to do too many gigs out that way. Perhaps just try more coffee shops and libraries and try to spread my card around through those?

The garden party thing sounded intriguing though, quite possibly the perfect venue. That or a small dinner party, wine/cheese tasting party, or similar. I think a lot of people who do those would not mind having some pleasant background music that I can provide, but the question is how to get discovered for it, I think!
I'm not sure how I feel about weddings... If I have personal friends who ask for that then yes, but I'm iffy about it otherwise, just feels like that could be higher pressure.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:48 am

powderedtoastman wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 am
…. a garden party ….
Be aware of what you are letting yourself in for.
Gorn wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 pm
… the kind of music we are playing is, satirically spoken, in German »Fress-Jazz«, which means "Gorge" or "Guzzle Jazz". When pronounced in German, »Fress« and »Jazz« rhyme (both pronounced like "chess"). Nobody listens, nobody spends applause, people com up the beach, eat and drink and go: you're nothing better than a radio. 3 sets à 45-50 min, setup and removal of the equipment...makes 5 h for one gig.
Last night someone on this street had a birthday party garden party with a jazz combo playing. They were playing very pleasant easy listening jazz. I would guess that they actually played for even longer than Gorn mentions. We went out about 7.30-8.00 and heard the music. I can't say when exactly it ended but they played "happy birthday" at mid-night and continued for a little while after that. So at least 5 hours not including set-up and kit removal. I would be surprised if they played anything twice. That is an awful lot of music to learn.

a human

Post by a human » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I play in the church choir most Sundays. They are not picky and I am not paid.

Busking is my plan z when all else is lost.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:48 am
powderedtoastman wrote:
…. a garden party ….

So at least 5 hours not including set-up and kit removal. I would be surprised if they played anything twice. That is an awful lot of music to learn.
Wow, interesting point. 5 hours is a bit much. My intent is to make myself available for 2 hours max.
I do 2 hours each week at my volunteer spot, which motivated me to put together enough easy rep to fill the time without repeating anything. After a couple weeks I got to where I can fill the time without even attempting any of my more serious pieces.
5 hours would be over the top though! Honestly I think I could probably fill the time with easy pieces at almost sightreading level. But my fingers/hands/wrists/arms, and my entire upper body, for that matter, would not respond well if I tried to play for that long, even with breaks. And my focused practice with the intent at becoming better as a well rounded player, well that would probably suffer because I'd be spending too much time on rep!

Keekping a 2-hour mostly easy rep doesn't really get in the way of my studies/practice though, so I think that's the sweet spot!

Pede

Post by Pede » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Till about 15 years ago I was performing as classical solist and did tours around many places in the world. I also did a few duets with a well known player. Sadly, short after that I had an accident and injured my left hand. I couldn't play for two years.
Nowadays playing the guitar is just for my fun. I am asked to participate on something maybe twice a year. Its okay so.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

razz

Post by razz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Looking back at the just the posts that I have responded to or opened, I estimate about 1 in 5 members identify as performers.

If you want to include recitals, salons, open mics and perhaps busking, the ratio would probably be higher.

CGCristian92

Post by CGCristian92 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:49 am

I'm a classical guitarist from the US that has played all over the USA, some of Canada,and all over Europe. I am by no means a big name, but i have won a few small competitions and got my undergrad at the Manhattan School of Music in NYC. Currently in the process of trying to get over to Europe and give it a bigger go at the concert circuit and maybe move to Germany to get my masters. It changes often for me, and i perform a bit of chamber music, some solo, and the venues are all over the place. I have also performed at sort of odd type of performance settings. But i have fun and going to see if i can do bigger things. I hope Sean Shibe chimes in. I love that guys playing and he is doing very well.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 pm

simonm wrote:
Last night someone on this street had a birthday party garden party with a jazz combo playing. They were playing very pleasant easy listening jazz. I would guess that they actually played for even longer than Gorn mentions. We went out about 7.30-8.00 and heard the music. I can't say when exactly it ended but they played "happy birthday" at mid-night and continued for a little while after that. So at least 5 hours not including set-up and kit removal. I would be surprised if they played anything twice. That is an awful lot of music to learn.
No problem. Our repertoire is over 80 songs, now - could be 40 hours of music in a big jazz combo (when EVERY instrument is playing solo in EVERY song :D) - or at least 6 hours for our duo. One hour is 12-15 songs. So we could do three »Fressjazz«-gigs in a row without repeating.
How to remember that?
Very easy when reading leadsheets on stage (notation of melody, lyrics and chords usu. on one page). It's not a score, but a reminder. The printed lyrics on the sheet help to find back into the song, when being thrown out by some distraction.

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm
simonm wrote:
powderedtoastman wrote:
…. a garden party ….

So at least 5 hours not including set-up and kit removal. I would be surprised if they played anything twice. That is an awful lot of music to learn.
Wow, interesting point. 5 hours is a bit much. My intent is to make myself available for 2 hours max.
I think we are comparing apples with oranges. Gorn plays in a jazz band. As far as I know, no one would expect a classical guitar soloist to play for that long. I was told two hours is about the norm - two 45 minute sets + half hour break. Of course, it could be a bit more, or a bit less... Eg. two 2 hour sets + break, or something.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 pm

When I had to make living (for myself and my family of 4) by playing guitar anywhere from concerts and festivals, to 5 star hotels, weddings, clubs restaurants etc. - I played a lot even few times 12 hours a day (3 gigs in different places - 4 hours each) ,but even while playing 12 hours I did not have to repeat myself...
I have a lot of my own music in my memory, I remember few classics and have a lot of scores too- so why should I have to repeat myself.
lucy wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm
powderedtoastman wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm
simonm wrote:

I think we are comparing apples with oranges. Gorn plays in a jazz band. As far as I know, no one would expect a classical guitar soloist to play for that long. I was told two hours is about the norm - two 45 minute sets + half hour break. Of course, it could be a bit more, or a bit less... Eg. two 2 hour sets + break, or something.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 pm

In many respects the term "paid musicians" is an oxymoron. Part of it is our fault in that we are desirous to perform at any cost. The other part is that the Herd generally doesn't appreciate quality music(witness the decline of opera here in the US). I am a former performer getting back into music after a long hiatus. I am not a concert level player(Top Gun) but someone with quite a bit of previously paid performances on saxophone and classical guitar. I have never played a job for free unless it was a close friend or family member. My rationale is that I learned early on from the principal bassist of the Lyric Opera that they pay a plumber $80.00 an hour to unclog a toilet and beg him to arrive as soon as possible. Aren't you worth, at least, least what the plumber is worth? Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. a plumber in my area today gets $130. per hour . . . how many performing musicians are making that today?????
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm

To answer the original question here's the officially sanctioned list:
members.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Christopher C.

Post by Christopher C. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm a music major working toward a career as a performer and teacher. I'll likely have my first solo recital sometime this academic year, which is both exciting and daunting,

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 pm

The results of this thread so far are depressing.
I would rather ask--- How many on this forum really
only play CG?
I have said it before duh the name of this forum is-----?
Excuse me it is time to bow out. I feel a great case of sarcasm coming on.

Cheers

Return to “The Café”