I am now the proud owner of an Alhambra z nature

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

I am now the proud owner of an Alhambra z nature

Post by Hany Hayek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 pm

I wanted to share this with you. I just got myself an Alhambra z nature (open pore)
It's a huge upgrade for me. I started last October on a Samick CS9-1, 3/4.
I was OK with the scale length and muffled sound but the narrow fingerboard (42 mm at the nut) was actually slowing down my progress, plus my teacher, a young lady (who happens to be my neighbor) was criticizing my small guitar and encouraging me to get a full size good quality one. She plays a Yamaha CG142 and she has small fingers.
I checked with Yamaha Egypt and found out they were selling the CG122MC at the equivalent at EUR 310.00
We have 30% duties and 12% taxes on imported musical instruments applied to the CIF value. That was too much for me specially knowing that it is sold on Amazon for 230 USD !
To cut the story short, I find this young man selling his Alhambra for the equivalent of EUR 180.00 including a 30mm padded gig bag. It is sold in Europe for min EUR 220 without any gig bag. The guitar has quite a few nail markings on the sound board. The guy was playing flamingo style on it :(
Anyway since it's only cosmetic and the rest of the instrument is intact, I pulled the trigger.
I got to play it before I bought it. Had my teacher play it. We were both thrilled with the sound. It has impressive basses and very clear trebles. The only down side is that the satin finish is very vulnerable. You even have to put a cloth under your forearm where it touches the top.
I have it since yesterday, I can't stop playing, I now have pain in my left hand :(
I cleaned the top with a damp cotton cloth as suggested on the Alhambra website. I oiled the fingerboard and tuning machine, changed the strings et voila.
Here are a couple of pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dory

Re: I am now the proud owner of an Alhambra z nature

Post by dory » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Congratulations! I have an Alhambra 7 I think it is P. I love it. I also started on a very small guitar although the neck was standard width. It was hard. For a variety of reasons it took me a long time to get a new one. I am pretty thrilled too. I know the feeling of going from a non-standard guitar to a standard one and it is WONDERFUL. I am very happy for you.
Dory

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Congratulations; it seems you have a bargain. I hope it brings you much joy.

Take care to slowly increase the time you spend playing. Overdoing it can cause long lasting difficulties with hands, wrists or arms. Rest for a couple of days if you feel pain.

On a lighter note, I'm not surprised that your guitar has a few scratches from its previous owner and am pleased and a little surprised that they are only superficial. Playing flamingo style is quite advanced technique. Standing on one leg it is quite easy to lose balance and do yourself and the guitar considerable damage. :wink:

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks Dory.
Thanks Pat. It is either the pain in my left forearm and wrist or the excitement that make me write funny stuff.
From Flamenco and Flamingo.. :) I will now consider practicing standing on one leg

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Playing flamingo style is quite advanced technique. Standing on one leg it is quite easy to lose balance and do yourself and the guitar considerable damage.
And that's not even mentioning bumping into your pink, nosy neighbours . . . :D

Congratulations Hany. I'm sure you will enjoy the instrument and likely progress much more efficiently.
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Congratulations ! I trust that you will have many happy hours with your new guitar.
And perhaps you would take under consideration to use so called arm sleeve for protecting your guitar from sweat of your RH. One of the solutions is to take a long cotton or similar sock and cut off the toes part, thus having a long comfortable tube, guitar-friendly :) The other way it to use the sleeve from old sweat shirt, shirt or something similar.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks martinardo.
Thanks Jacek. I did that. I just put a cotton cloth where my arm rests. Seems the previous owner didn't and that spot is already a little darker. I am used to doing that with my mandolins. We live in a very hot climate.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:49 am

That's a really nice looking Alhambra guitar! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 am

Congrats Hany. I've been watching some of your threads previously. I am glad you finally found a really good one, and a bargain at that. It looks really nice. I wouldn't be too worried about the finish. Satin finished guitars always buff up where your skin rubs on it. Not much to do about it. I had this happen on my satin finished guitar. What can you do? They beg to be played. The satin finishes(open pore) usually sound really good. Again, congratulations.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks spanishguitarmusic. Glad you like it.
Thanks Laudiesdad69. It does sound really good.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 am

Hany, have you decided what strings you are going to use?

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 am

The z nature has an extremely dark and full sound and a decent volume. I was really surprised whet I played it once.
It is really great value for money and I hope you enjoy it.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 am
Hany, have you decided what strings you are going to use?
I already changed the strings. I am using D'addario EJ27 Normal tension. The guitar came with the exp44, the previous owner had kept them on since he bought the guitar - according to him 4 month old - so I had to change them. I played with the exp44 on for a couple of days and my left wrist can't take the high tension.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 am

mike.janel wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 am
The z nature has an extremely dark and full sound and a decent volume. I was really surprised whet I played it once.
It is really great value for money and I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks Mike. It does have a nice and dark, full sound. I compared it to the Yamaha CG142 - a friend owns it - and it does sound better to me.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Good work mate. Well done!!

Return to “The Café”