Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Post by dory » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 am

Is there any good pop music out there that is worth listenimg to? I admit that I don't listen to much but might if there is anything worth listenimg to. I was listening the other day to a radio program that features (mostly pop) music by women. The first song consisted of the word "beep" but sung loudly, pretty much without any note value with a few other things going on in the background. For me it had pretty much the same effect as listening to the smoke detector going off in my house. I turned it off and then on again two minutes later to hear the same tuneless "beep, beep." I didn't care much for most of the other songs in the program either although there was one about women scientists in honor of the science march that I thought was catchy. All people say this as they get older, but there was some rather grand music in my youth, and a lot of music that should have been passing put of fashion but wasn't -- like the Beatles. I will say that I like Sigur Ros, although I don't know if it is classified as pop or experimental. Perhaps I am not expecting a Joan Baez or Mercedes Sosa, but what if anything should I be litening to. I am an old fogie but don't always want to feel like one. I do kind of like Billy Bragg but I think he is getting old too. Thank you in advance. Beep, beep,beep, beep.
Dory

tcee

Re: Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Post by tcee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 am

Not pop music in the most strict sense of the word but very good music nonetheless:
Cinematic Orchestra, The Black Keys, Vulfpeck, Chuck Ragan, Groove Armada, Thievery Corporation, Jamiroquai, alt-J, Kasabian, DJ Shadow, The Aggrolites, Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder, Sublime, Zero 7, The White Stripes, Stereo MCs, Bonobo

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 am

I think there is plenty of non-classical modern music being made for adult listeners it is just a matter of seeking it out.

In the UK we have BBC Radio 6 Music (also available on-line http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music) which plays everything from world, folk, rock, pop, jazz to experimental including lots of new music aimed at an adult audience. I would recommend listening to Cerys Matthews, Jarvis Cocker and Iggy Pop's programmes on 6 Music for varied and stimulating old and new music.

bear

Post by bear » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Albano, Arisa, Laura Pausini,Zucchero, Nek, Giorgia, Massimo Ranieri, Valerio Scanu, Zero. There are many others,all from Italy. The music is nice to listen too even if you don't speak the language. They are on the tube.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

bear

Post by bear » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Dory.
if you want to listen to something that's fun, check out Tuba Skinny.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:10 pm

I listen to classical in some form or fashion about 95% of the time, but do run across something in the popular (more or less) current vein occasionally that is appealing—mostly accidentally from the background music at the supermarket. :D Two singers I've run across that I've really liked are Rumer and Sarah McLachlan. Still, the classic era of pop music was the 60s and 70s for me, too.
- Donnie

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Hey Dory, try Adele. She is the only new artist that I can tolerate. Other than her, it 60's and 70's for me.

dory

Post by dory » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 pm

I have heard of Adele from a jazz singer friend.
Dory

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

dory wrote:Is there any good pop music out there that is worth listenimg to?
There is a lot of non-English-language pop out there - you just hardly ever hear it in the US/Canada. I find a lot of it very pleasant - musically, but also in no small part because I don't understand the words :-)
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:34 pm

guitarrista wrote:
not for me...at least I never listen any ...not from 60s,70s, 80s, 90s, etc.
If I listen modern music (rather than medieval, renaissance, baroque, old folk)
then it will be art rock, fusion, jazz, avantgarde, hard rock, metal etc. But pop? No.. no no...!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 pm

As most other's have said, there is a ton of good music out there. Just pick your favorite genre and explore the artists.

My favorite is metal and other forms of rock. And of course, guitarists. Yngwie Malmsteen was/is classically trained and his rock reflects heavy classical influence. Yngwie also plays classical extremely well, at least in his younger days. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are both excellent metal guitarists pushing the envelope of what can be done. Check out Vai's Juice, and Satriani's War. Eric Johnson is a good 'ole Texas boy who plays a mean rock guitar - his song Zap is particularly excellent. All of those musicians offer ample intellectual content in their compositions to satisfy this classical player!

But that's me and metal guitarists. Explore the wide possibilities available to you that you may like!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm not really fond of much pop either, although I was a fan of Ed Sheeran for a bit. I don't think the last album is good. I like Norah Jones who is more or less pop and Sara Bareilles sometimes. The problem with pop is that no matter how good they are, they eventually whitewash and waterdown everything. I am very into some of the Nu-folk and Indie artists, though. Ani Di Franco, Laura Marling, Thao and the Get Down Stay Down come to mind. I very much like some of the up and coming Aussie percussive fingerstylists like Daniel Champagne and Sam Westphalen. All of these people are very original and skilled. Lots more. As a songwriter, if someone doesn't write their own music, I'm usually not interested.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Yes, Ed Sheeran, Adele, and also One Direction, Imagine Dragon, Vance Joy, The Lumineers...
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

razz

Post by razz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 am

I can recommend 2 singer-songwriters. They are not all that popular but talented.
Erin McKeown and Vienna Teng.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
guitarrista wrote:
not for me...at least I never listen any ...not from 60s,70s, 80s, 90s, etc.
If I listen modern music (rather than medieval, renaissance, baroque, old folk)
then it will be art rock, fusion, jazz, avantgarde, hard rock, metal etc. But pop? No.. no no...!
I did say Adele is the only one. Otherwise it's 70's era Queen for me. Dory you should really give old Queen a try if you need a break from all things classical for 30 minutes or so. I recommend the News of the World and Jazz albums.

Return to “The Café”