Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
henders

Re: Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Post by henders » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:19 am

Yo La Tengo are a great American pop group. I think a good intro to them would be their album Fakebook.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 am

bear wrote:Dory.
if you want to listen to something that's fun, check out Tuba Skinny.
+1

dory

Post by dory » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:40 am

I am taking voice lessons from a jazz singer who keeps telling me I need to listen to Adele and I haven't yet. I will take that as a hint from the universe. Is Pink considered a pop group? I like some of their music.
Dory

bear

Post by bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
bear wrote:Dory.
if you want to listen to something that's fun, check out Tuba Skinny.
+1
There are a couple of groups that I heard in NOLA.
Steamboat Willie- he does a lot of sinatra (type nola after his name or you get the cartoon)
Blue Street Jazz Band
Dave Ruffner · The Beignet Orchestra of New Orleans -Dave also leads Blue Street.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

bear

Post by bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 pm

dory wrote:I am taking voice lessons from a jazz singer who keeps telling me I need to listen to Adele and I haven't yet. I will take that as a hint from the universe. Is Pink considered a pop group? I like some of their music.
There are some jazz singers that i like.
Ruth Brown
Sade
Diana Krall
Sarah Vaughan
Lena Horne
Amy Winehouse
Etta James
Blossom Dearie

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

razz wrote:I can recommend 2 singer-songwriters. They are not all that popular but talented.
Erin McKeown and Vienna Teng.
Ah, good recommendations - and a wee bit obscure. I listen to a google radio station based on this sort of artist, and it frequently plays Deb Talan and the Weepies.

I unashamedly like a lot of pop music.

But my current favorite non-classical, non-jazz genre is more Americana. I'm going to see Brandi Carlisle in July, for I think the 4th time. Love her.

And I don't much care for the myriad of subgenres of country, but I very much enjoyed the Sierra Hull concert I attended recently. That girl can play the mandolin like nobody's business, is pretty good on the guitar, and sings with a pure, sweet voice.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm

I kind of like the lumineers.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:50 pm

dory wrote:I am taking voice lessons from a jazz singer who keeps telling me I need to listen to Adele and I haven't yet. I will take that as a hint from the universe. Is Pink considered a pop group? I like some of their music.
Pink Floyd was great!
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:04 pm

If I understand the OP properly, the question is, "I used to listen to stuff. What's worth listening to now?"

It's a question I regularly ask myself, but I regularly find the answer is "Nothing."
I enjoyed listening to k d lang and breakbeats and other dance stuff until 11 years ago, but there's nothing at the moment that I'm aware of.
Bands come and go so quickly and they can have broken up before you become aware of them.
The Pipettes and the Noisettes may still be around, but I tend to buy stuff on a whim from Amazon second-hand, cheap, then put it on the shelf after only listening to it once, so I have no real idea what I've got. I like some Pink. I used to like Goldfrapp, but I suspect they are finished. I used to like Peaches, but she's probably finished. Used to like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but they finished years ago.

Currently I'm more interested in going back and collecting all the West Coast sounds I should have collected in the Seventies but couldn't afford then. And lots of funk.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:If I understand the OP properly, the question is, "I used to listen to stuff. What's worth listening to now?"

It's a question I regularly ask myself, but I regularly find the answer is "Nothing."
I enjoyed listening to k d lang and breakbeats and other dance stuff until 11 years ago, but there's nothing at the moment that I'm aware of.
Bands come and go so quickly and they can have broken up before you become aware of them.
The Pipettes and the Noisettes may still be around, but I tend to buy stuff on a whim from Amazon second-hand, cheap, then put it on the shelf after only listening to it once, so I have no real idea what I've got. I like some Pink. I used to like Goldfrapp, but I suspect they are finished. I used to like Peaches, but she's probably finished. Used to like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but they finished years ago.

Currently I'm more interested in going back and collecting all the West Coast sounds I should have collected in the Seventies but couldn't afford then. And lots of funk.
You don't listen to Mika?

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Apart from Zucchero, Queen and Adele I have never heard of the musicians mentioned. My wife was recently playing something from Adle and I had to leave the room, miserable whining about her problems in life - not interested in hearing that. I prefer to whine about my own problems. :-) Love Zucchero and Queen. But both of these are from the 80's or earlier so not exactly "out there" now.

Swin

Post by Swin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:44 pm

Still out there now is Brandi Carlisle. I wear out her first CD on my way to work everyday. Not still out there is Johnny Cash. Gotta love the Man in Black...

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 pm

I actually rather like a certain subset of Japanese pop music, a lot of which is either kind of indy or just on the fringes where it's not quite indy and not quite mainstream. However, it kind of helps to understand Japanese if you want to listen to the words...

Some of the group names are:
Frederic, The Fin, D.A.N. Metafive, Unchain, Wednesday Campanella, Spangle Call Lilli Line, Perfume.
I've discovered most of these from a playlist on Spotify called Tokyo Rising, and from these I browsed through "related artists" I've been able to find all sorts of stuff that I really rather like. I ended up with my own playlist of a couple thousand songs so I won't run out of random stuff that's fresh to me if I put it on Shuffle.

For American stuff, I gotta say I rather like the album Oracular Spectacular by MGMT. I couldn't quite get into any of their other albums that I tried listening to.
Also I recently found on reddit a few western groups: VHS Collection, The Mowglis, and... well I can't remember the other ones.

I really like certain elements of pop music, but I'm very picky about it, and the stuff that's actually widely popular sometimes falls short, or perhaps sometimes I can't help but discount it simply because it gets overdone very quickly.

EDIT -- also, I think 80s Michael Jackson solo stuff is very good. Listen to things like "Get on the Floor" or "PYT" (as oddly poetic as that song would eventually become!) and I think you'll find the accompaniment to those songs to be top notch. At least I did.

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:11 am

I used to think that there was no classical music worth listening to. Until someone showed me it can be made with the same dedication and passion I used to attribute to my "idols". Since then, I have learned to appreciate music from nearly all genres.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 am

Dory wrote:The first song consisted of the word "beep" but sung loudly, pretty much without any note value with a few other things going on in the background. For me it had pretty much the same effect as listening to the smoke detector going off in my house. I turned it off and then on again two minutes later to hear the same tuneless "beep, beep."
Dory, I confess that I quite like Simone White's "Beep Beep Song" ... including the beeps, which do serve a structural and artistic purpose. Listening for a little longer would have brought you to such lyrics as:

"We walked away,
from the lover's leap,
opposite directions,
synchronised feet."

Perhaps I'm easy to please.

On the other hand ... Adele!!?? Aargh, how, why?
simonm wrote:My wife was recently playing something from Adle and I had to leave the room, miserable whining about her problems in life - not interested in hearing that.
Never mind leaving the room - you should have left the house - surely grounds for divorce - just consider yourself lucky that she (Adele) was only whining - her usual strategy appears to be to approximate the bellowing of an elephant seal, in which case the next state may not have been far enough.

There's apparently no accounting for taste.

Return to “The Café”