Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Evocacion

Re: Is there any pop music out there that is good and listenable?

Post by Evocacion » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Pop music?
Nothing, IMHO, since about 1980. There seems to have been a pop musical singularity at about that point in time. No good pop music has been produced since then.

razz

Post by razz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Evocacion wrote:Pop music?
Nothing, IMHO, since about 1980. There seems to have been a pop musical singularity at about that point in time. No good pop music has been produced since then.
I tend to agree. If you search, you can find talented people working with popular style music. Unfortunately, the commercial distributors are not allowing their music to be available, so the music is not popular.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

razz wrote:...
I tend to agree. If you search, you can find talented people working with popular style music. Unfortunately, the commercial distributors are not allowing their music to be available, so the music is not popular.
Yeah, just like Hollywood movies: if it has international distribution, it is probably formulaic junk.

I think there are talented people working in pop "styles" though. BUt the goals and results and likely venues of these projects are different from the typical goals and results of "Art Music."

Are you experiencing "incidental" music, like in a pub after work, or a movie soundtrack, or getting together and "jamming" with friends, or an outdoor festival or gathering? Yeah, I think there is some valid pop style music; it might even be enjoyable.

Or, are you listening for the complexities and subtleties of Art? well...I dont think its likely to be found in the realm of "pop" music.

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 am
Dory wrote:The first song consisted of the word "beep" but sung loudly, pretty much without any note value with a few other things going on in the background. For me it had pretty much the same effect as listening to the smoke detector going off in my house. I turned it off and then on again two minutes later to hear the same tuneless "beep, beep."
Dory, I confess that I quite like Simone White's "Beep Beep Song" ... including the beeps, which do serve a structural and artistic purpose. Listening for a little longer would have brought you to such lyrics as:

"We walked away,
from the lover's leap,
opposite directions,
synchronised feet."

Perhaps I'm easy to please.

On the other hand ... Adele!!?? Aargh, how, why?
simonm wrote:My wife was recently playing something from Adle and I had to leave the room, miserable whining about her problems in life - not interested in hearing that.
Never mind leaving the room - you should have left the house - surely grounds for divorce - just consider yourself lucky that she (Adele) was only whining - her usual strategy appears to be to approximate the bellowing of an elephant seal, in which case the next state may not have been far enough.

There's apparently no accounting for taste.

My wife worked in an admin job in the National Health Service here in the UK and the other staff who she shared the office with insisted on playing radio stations that played the current 'pop' music.
My wife hated the music because to her, the singing was just 'wailing' all the time. Similar to Adele's style but Adele is one of the better, tolerable ones, in her opinion.
But this is 'commercial', record-label-driven pop music (or Pop Idol etc driven music) where the emphasis is more on the vocal ability and 'melody' and the music is more in the background. But in my opinion, it forces all these singers to try too hard that they end up but sub-standard (putting it mildly) compared to noteworthy singers throughout the ages.

But there is other current music out there but it depends what you define as 'pop' in the Inter-web age...
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Many people in this thread have suggested various artists which is fine.
But if you want to find out current good music in different genres then I suggest:- listening to the radio stations (Radio 6) that someone mentioned earlier on, watching music TV programmes like 'Later with Jools Holland...' if you can get it outside of the UK, and also, checking out modern music magazines which cover most genres.
In the UK there are magazines such as MOJO, Uncut and Q which cover most genres from 'pop' to electronic to rock to folk to americana... you get the picture.
I always get their end of year edition to get the year's 'Best albums' as voted by their staff to get an idea of what's 'out there' at the moment.

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 am

SunnyDee wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm
I'm not really fond of much pop either, although I was a fan of Ed Sheeran for a bit. I don't think the last album is good. I like Norah Jones who is more or less pop and Sara Bareilles sometimes. The problem with pop is that no matter how good they are, they eventually whitewash and waterdown everything. I am very into some of the Nu-folk and Indie artists, though. Ani Di Franco, Laura Marling, Thao and the Get Down Stay Down come to mind. I very much like some of the up and coming Aussie percussive fingerstylists like Daniel Champagne and Sam Westphalen. All of these people are very original and skilled. Lots more. As a songwriter, if someone doesn't write their own music, I'm usually not interested.
I must check out Laura Marling if for no other reason that I heard she's a good guitarist although she does the 'singer-songwriter' thing primarily I believe.
Recommended as a good guitarist by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page no less (Led Zepellin was a hard rock type band prominent in the 70s and 80s for those who don't know....because there always seems to be some people on this site who don't know about music outside the Classical genre ;-). Or at least, they pretend to not know...)

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 am

Well, one out of left field for me at least, in the nineties, was Darcy Clay, "Jesus I Was Evil":

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKX8ntjWeas[/YouTube]

Unfortunately, he popped off the scene for good not long after he swept the charts with this song. :cry:
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Bill B wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm
I kind of like the lumineers.
I LOVE them!! Though they are more folk/rock than pop. I am much less encline to pop music, but those days I think Ed Sheeran does really good stuff.
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

IIama

Post by IIama » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 pm

They're hard to come by, but there are definitely pop albums worth listening to. I'll list a few of my favorites:
The Magnetic Fields - The Charm of the Highway Strip
Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

If you don't want to listen to an entire album, check out the following tracks:
When The Open Road Is Closing In by The Magnetic Fields, Palm Desert by Van Dyke Parks, When You Sleep by My Bloody Valentine, and Women of The World by Jim O'Rourke. I hope you find something you like!

mts132

Post by mts132 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 pm

dory wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 am
Is there any good pop music out there that is worth listenimg to?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Café”