Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:54 pm

IMG_9985.jpg
Hi! This is my celebration of my post 1000. You can see that you were miss leaded thinking it was a Herman Hauser. It is a Real Compania Velha 1937 half dry blond Port. I make a virtual toast to all of you with it – I don’t drink alcohol.. If you want to buy it make me an offer. The Port was given to me by a friend of a friend with whom we bought some dalbergia spruceana and melanoxylon – or in English some amazon and some African Blackwood. The wine has been standing around in my workshop, and as I am moving to a new shop with much better conditions I have one more reason to celebrate. The painting in the Background is called “Place of silence”, it is from 1999 from Onik Sahakian –I needed a decent background to take a picture of this precious wine. I had planned to make a recording but I guess I keep it for post 1001 – alf Layla ua Layla. I don’t post much recently but still watch the forum and read some of the topics. All the best to all of you.
IMG_9978.jpg
IMG_9976.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tyke

Re: 1937

Post by tyke » Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

1000 posts and a bottle of port - I'll drink to that !!
Felicidades :)

bear

Post by bear » Mon May 01, 2017 1:46 pm

congrats
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Well done on reaching your 100th post.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

dory

Post by dory » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Congratulations. I do drink alcohol but probably don't have exquisite enough taste to appreciate your wine. I am drinking of all things a mate (very occasional treat for me) so I raise a virtual salute to you.
Dory

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you all for your kind replies. I am sorry that it lasted so long, my answer, but as I wanted to keep my promise that post 1001 would be a recording - so here it is. Not really dificult but very nice, even like that I made a few mistakes as it is still very fresh. I have the score for it
Youtube

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 am

Why not enjoy the 37...port...don't tell your guests what you braised the shanks in...only later tell them, oh buy the way...we just ate a 37 port :)

Or you could do a port reduced Demi glace...freeze a portion of it and use it from time to time it should last awhile.

People get all sentimental about vintage wines, it's absurd, if you don't drink, cook something nice with it.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 am
Why not enjoy the 37...port...don't tell your guests what you braised the shanks in...only later tell them, oh buy the way...we just ate a 37 port :)

Or you could do a port reduced Demi glace...freeze a portion of it and use it from time to time it should last awhile.

People get all sentimental about vintage wines, it's absurd, if you don't drink, cook something nice with it.
Yes I should put some in the fruit salad...Please explain what port reduced Demi glace is, sounds promising!

Don't know if you have ever heard from a German writer E.T.A. Hoffmann, whe wrote an amazing novel about the temptation of a bottle, it is called the Devils elexir's. I do add a resume from a blogue about the novel:
devils-elixirs-2.jpg
How it all starts

The story starts with an introduction in which an anonymous writer tells that he will present us with a manuscript that has been hidden away in a monastery for decades. It contains the memoirs of the monk Medardus and the abbot of the monastery is very reluctant in handing them over. In his opinion the manuscript should have been burnt long ago.6 So there is dark romantic tension before the story really starts, and there are loads more of that to come.

Medardus starts the story of his life at the moment of his birth at a pilgrimage site. He never knew who his father was, but his mother told him that he came to the site to atone for his grave sins and died comforted and peaceful the moment his son was born. And old painter, who also happens to be at the site, urges his mother to let her son become a cleric because the boy has many great gifts but the sins of his father are boiling in his blood. He exclaims that “the boy is able to become a fighter for religion, let him become a monk!”7The young boy starts his studies of theology as soon as possible and the moment he is old enough he enters a monastery in the locality simply named B. He chooses the name Medardus and is developing into an ardent monk. But trouble is brewing…
Falling in love with an altarpiece

Medardus gets bestowed on him the honor to assist the elder brother Cyrillus in attending the relics that the monastery is housing. Cyrillus shows him a case that contains the one relic that is never displayed to the public. It contains one of the bottles of elixirs that the devil used in one of his many futile attempts to seduce Saint Antony.8 When some local nobility get a tour of the monastery things go wrong: Medardus shows them the relics and an attending nobleman immediately sets his eyes on the case containing the devils elixir. When Medardus tells the story, the count exclaims that he has never heard such humbug and that the case probably contains some fine Sicilian wine. Medardus cannot prevent the nobleman drinking from the bottle and confirming that it is indeed a fine wine. Medardus does not drink from the bottle himself, but the scent of the elixir is enough to get him out of balance. And when Medardus does decide to drink the bottle’s remaining content a few days later, a feeling of utmost wellbeing immediately fills his body.9

Not long after this Medardus starts acting crazy: he falls in love with a painting depicting the martyr’s death of the Holy Rosalia. He is sure that Rosalia is his lady lover. When a girl looking exactly like this Rosalia shows up in church to confess to Medardus the sin of being in love with a monk, Medardus loses it. He spends hours lying before the altar of Rosalia crying like a maniac. The abbot at long length decides it is better to send Medardus on a mission to Rome.10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:05 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 am
Why not enjoy the 37...port...don't tell your guests what you braised the shanks in...only later tell them, oh buy the way...we just ate a 37 port :) Or you could do a port reduced Demi glace...freeze a portion of it and use it from time to time it should last awhile. People get all sentimental about vintage wines, it's absurd, if you don't drink, cook something nice with it.
Um, since you don't drink, maybe you should sell the port on the usual online sellers and spend the money on something nice? Just a thought. Messy is correct - people get sentimental about old vintages and I'll bet you could get a decent price for the bottle. I'll start the bidding at $6 US. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I drank a bottle of 1940 port about 15 years ago - it was a Battle of Britain commemoration bottle, ruby or tawny, not even vintage, and it had been in someone's shed since 1940 and rats had eaten the label off. It tasted fine!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Yes I should probably sell it, I checked once and it is at least 150 € worth.

The writer I mentioned, E.T.A. Hoffmann was also a musican, composer, cartoonist and painter. In his normal live he was an examining magistrate. But also a big drunk. He is a really outstanding figure in the romantic period and I add a video of one of his compositions I like most: Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann - Piano Sonata n. 3 in F Minor . Listen carefully,, it is amazing!

Youtube

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks for a great post. Your 38 Port is tempting, but how would I get it here; US.
I thoroughly enjoyed your post 1001! Lovely tune!
Bet someone there will go for it.
Hauser III 2014!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Thank you for your nice comment. The tune is called " A minha casinha" and the arrangemen by Silvestre Fonseca. It can be found on-line.
To send the Port to the US may be rather complicated because of the us customs, but I have no experience with sending wine, perhaps it isn't a problem? Shipping may cost about 50-60 US$. I guess I will try to sell it here on the net.

Return to “The Café”