La Guitarra Española

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
John Ray
Luthier

La Guitarra Española

Post by John Ray » Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 am

John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

John Ray
Luthier

Re: La Guitarra Española

Post by John Ray » Sun May 07, 2017 6:54 am

Application deadline June 1. Given the great teachers on board for this and the beauty and the music in Granada this is not something to miss.
John Ray

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun May 07, 2017 10:30 am

Looks great. It is primarily aimed at Californian students. Anyone lucky enough to get to it should have a great time. There might also be some nice impromptu music sessions during the period if you could figure out where the musicians teaching the course might hang out some evenings. Hmm ... a Granada visit is overdue.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am

I don't like to post directly from my blog but I really want folks to see this:

Thursday was the last day of California State University's "La Guitarra Española" course in Granada. Part of the Summer Arts programme, it brought 16 students of the guitar and eight great guitar players to teach the students. The idea to do this here in Granada was the brainchild of Dr. Scott Morris, chair of music at CSU Dominguez Hills. His leadership here helped the guitar students to feel at home and to meet many of the makers in Granada. and to get the most out of the experience. The important thing is that the students really benefitted from the three weeks of classes because they played very well last night; I especially enjoyed Sarajevo nights for guitar quartet.

Another brilliant idea, this time thanks to guitarist Vicente Coves was to organize the 1st Granada Guitar Festival to coincide with these masterclasses and concerts. The collaboration between the Granada Town Hall, CSU and Vicente meant that we got to see some excellent guitarists play in Granada (Luis Mariano, Pepe Romero, Margarita Escarpa, Rafael Aguirre) as well as screening some musical film and performances by lesser known concert artists. The festival included a tribute to guitar-maker Antonio Marín Montero and in October will bring us an exhibition dedicated to the figure of Eduardo Ferrer and a guitar-making competition (registrations still open). In short, the most important guitar-related thing to happen to in Granada since Antonio de Torres came here to learn the craft.
John Ray

Anderson

Post by Anderson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for the report John. I would certainly love to see this grow to include events and activities for non-invited students (ie, adult amateurs like myself!) who could be part of the atmosphere, survey masterclasses, attend concerts and generally help fund the entire experience.

Return to “The Café”