Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
gitgeezer

Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Post by gitgeezer » Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm

It doesn't seem possible, but 50 years ago the Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and rock music was changed forever. You may not be old enough to have experienced that June 1, 1967, release as I am, but if you've ever been a rock fan, you've experienced its influences.

Adrian Allan

Re: Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 pm

A good album, but I don't think it is musically their best; I prefer Revolver.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 pm

I remember the day it came out. This was also about the time I saw Jimi play for free in the Panhandle in SF. I saw him that same night at the Fillmore.
Help!

bear

Post by bear » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 pm

That went by fast.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Teamrock says "Sgt. Pepper marked the precise moment when pop music transformed itself into something altogether more serious." The website ranked the songs of Sgt. Pepper from worst to best, in their opinion:

13. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
11. Fixing A Hole
10. Lovely Rita
9. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Getting Better
7. With A Little Help From My Friends
6. When I'm Sixty-Four
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. She's Leaving Home
3. Within You Without You
2. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
1. A Day In The Life

bear

Post by bear » Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm
Teamrock says "Sgt. Pepper marked the precise moment when pop music transformed itself into something altogether more serious." The website ranked the songs of Sgt. Pepper from worst to best, in their opinion:

13. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
11. Fixing A Hole
10. Lovely Rita
9. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Getting Better
7. With A Little Help From My Friends
6. When I'm Sixty-Four
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. She's Leaving Home
3. Within You Without You
2. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
1. A Day In The Life
I was working for a record company when this album was released. I wasn't a fan of the Beatles and didn't think much of it. Still don't. Motown, Chuck Berry, BB King, Etta James, Ruth Brown and Beethoven, were more interesting.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

bear wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 pm
[I was working for a record company when this album was released. I wasn't a fan of the Beatles and didn't think much of it. Still don't. Motown, Chuck Berry, BB King, Etta James, Ruth Brown and Beethoven, were more interesting.
With respect, I really don't understand posts like this. If you don't like the The Beatles or the album in question, then why respond at all?

As a child of the sixties, I think The Beatles were the best thing since sliced bread!

Cheers,
Malcolm

ps. did we actually have sliced bread in the sixties? Perhaps not.
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

bear

Post by bear » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am
bear wrote:
[I was working for a record company when this album was released. I wasn't a fan of the Beatles and didn't think much of it. Still don't. Motown, Chuck Berry, BB King, Etta James, Ruth Brown and Beethoven, were more interesting.
With respect, I really don't understand posts like this. If you don't like the The Beatles or the album in question, then why respond at all?

As a child of the sixties, I think The Beatles were the best thing since sliced bread!

Cheers,
Malcolm

because I'm an old man with too much time on his hands and not a lot of time left, a bit of a dichotomy. Some folk reach an age when a comment sparks a memory and they can't help but regurgitate all over the place. I guess I'm one of those.
Some find it interesting, others think it's a bore.

At the risk of adding to my meanderings, I think their best work came after they split.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 pm

bear wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm
At the risk of adding to my meanderings, I think their best work came after they split.
George Harrison and John Lennon, yes. Ringo, to a certain degree. Paul, not--I've found most, if not all, of his post-Beatles solo music to be "lollipop" music (although he did compose a "symphonic" work, but, while interesting, it didn't resonate with me very much). Yes, I was, and still am, a Beatles fan. I think their work as a group changed the course of rock music. I purchased Sgt Pepper as soon as it came out and played the heck out of it (I still have that vinyl album). The next album that bowled us over was their "White Album".
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am
bear wrote:

Cheers,
Malcolm

Because it's his opinion, and I suppose he's free to give it. The older I get the more jaundiced my view of the Beatles becomes as well. I wasn't old enough to be aware of them at the time, but in my teens and 20s I was a big fan of theirs, had every LP ( still have most on CD). I just don't think they were all that anymore and Sgt. Pepper has to be one of the most overrated albums in history. Heck, even the US-released Magical Mystery Tour was better. George Harrison was their best songwriter but he was kept down by (I guess) McCartney's ego.

I'd agree with bear that those Motown recordings of the 60s are about as close to perfection as you'll find in pop music.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue May 23, 2017 8:03 pm

My older brothers and sisters listened to the Motown stuff, along with Doors, Cream, and some Beatles. For me, it was Led Zeppelin, Beatles, J Guiles, Santana, Stones, and whatever my siblings were listening to...

Now as my musical tastes have matured, I find I really don't like the early Beatles stuff :: I Wanna Hold Your Hand and many selections from their breakthrough album - sophomoric junk. However, I think one of the best songs they ever did was I Want You / She's So Heavy - except for the ending cacophony (White Album???).

Sgt Pepper's was a fun album. And, in keeping with the thread: "It was 50 years ago today, that Sgt Pepper's band began to play..." Good timing !
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

There was an incredible amount of good rock albums around 1967. Besides the Beatles, there were near-perfect rock album masterpieces by Love, The Zombies, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Small Faces, The Kinks, Jefferson Airplane... Too bad the Beach Boys couldn't finish Smile!

Although personally I like some earlier albums by The Beatles more, Sgt. Pepper is a great album to listen to. "A Day In The Life" is one of their best songs and certainly Ringo's best moment in drumming.

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Luuttuaja wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Although personally I like some earlier albums by The Beatles more, Sgt. Pepper is a great album to listen to. "A Day In The Life" is one of their best songs and certainly Ringo's best moment in drumming.
Yeah I agree there, the drum work in "A Day..." is terrific. But honestly I think that's the only really good track on the album with the possible exception of the title track.
It reminds me of a story though: John Lennon was talking to a critic in a bar, and the critic said something like "Ya know, Ringo isn't the best drummer in the world.." And Lennon said, "You know what? He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!" :lol: (No doubt apocryphal since it sounds too good :D )
There is some stuff on the White Album and Abbey Road that I like, but I'm not the fan I once was. There are several bands about which my opinion has changed. I'm just getting older I guess.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Help!

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Now as my musical tastes have matured, I find I really don't like the early Beatles stuff :: I Wanna Hold Your Hand and many selections from their breakthrough album - sophomoric junk.
I have to say though that "Ticket to Ride" and "Eight Days a Week" are still a couple of my favorites. :mrgreen: (a little later, I know)

Return to “The Café”