Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I heard on the radio that today is the day - 50 years ago today. So I thought I'd give this thread a bump.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I work with the public in a bookstore. When I put on a Beatles compilation album, people my age and older get a smile and start swaying and dancing. I play one that progresses from the first album to the last. I have to say, I think it's all pretty good (it's rock/pop, after all). Even their early songs had a structure, with an intro, and a and b parts, and a finale. Not much but it's not like one repetitive hook. The lyrics are fine, even very good, and you can hear them. The singing is great. So is the musicianship. They kept developing over the years and didn't fall into a rut. What's not to like?
Sgt. Peppers is my least favorite album, and even that has some gems (Lucy in the Sky).

with pop music it could be that the associations you have with your teens and early twenties affect your judgment. I think that there was much more creative pop music happening in those years than today, and believe that's an objective evaluation--but my nostalgia may be talking here!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri May 26, 2017 5:51 pm

gitgeezer wrote:the Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and rock music was changed forever.
I've heard this a lot lately for some reason - I missed it at the time but just browsing a list of what was around at the time it seems to an outsider like me that rock was going it's way very well with or without the Beatles. Frank Zappa, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beach Boys, Roy Harper, Cream, The Byrds, The Who, The Yardbirds and hundreds more individual and uniquely creative musicians all existed before SP'sLHCB.

No need to get on my case about it - I've nothing against the Beatles particularly - I can take them or leave them but I'm intrigued - how did rock music change because of one album?

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm
I work with the public in a bookstore. When I put on a Beatles compilation album, people my age and older get a smile and start swaying and dancing. I play one that progresses from the first album to the last. I have to say, I think it's all pretty good (it's rock/pop, after all). Even their early songs had a structure, with an intro, and a and b parts, and a finale. Not much but it's not like one repetitive hook. ...
Yeah, well in all fairness most pop songs had a similar structure going back to Hoagy Carmichael and earlier. But yeah I like the "Red" and "Blue" Beatles compilations well enough, but I haven't listened to them in ages. Overdose in youth, maybe.
gitgeezer wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm
Teamrock says "Sgt. Pepper marked the precise moment when pop music transformed itself into something altogether more serious."
"Precise moment"? Bob Dylan and Velvet Underground were already pretty serious before Sgt Pepper.
The Beatles were an amazing phenomenon, immensely talented and charismatic. But ya know, I think that the Stones, Hendrix, Clapton and David Bowie were more influential in the long run.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat May 27, 2017 2:29 am

Just saw an interview of the Stones when they were just getting started and were so controversial, particularly with the parents of their rabid fans. One of them explained it all by saying, "the Beatles already had the white hats, so we decided to wear the black hats."

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat May 27, 2017 2:34 am

gitgeezer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 2:29 am
Just saw an interview of the Stones when they were just getting started and were so controversial, particularly with the parents of their rabid fans. One of them explained it all by saying, "the Beatles already had the white hats, so we decided to wear the black hats."
Well it's undeniable that one thing the Beatles did do was pave the way for the British musicians who followed. The Rolling Stones might not have gotten anywhere beyond playing clubs in the UK without them. Also we can't forget the sheer marketing/pr genius of Brian Epstein.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 am

rock as art form, and not mere entertainment.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Hindsight is wonderful but when this album came out it blew minds. I was in France and all the local teenagers rushed straight out to buy it and we sat around the record-player awe-struck. We forget how novel it was at the time. Not Mozart, no, but hey, it's pop music. Would we rather have Justin Bieber? I was more Stones than Beatles and more Cream and Muddy Waters than both but I wouldn't knock them in any way. Not for no reason did Brian Wilson see Sgt. Peppers as a creative challenge.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun May 28, 2017 2:17 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 pm
Hindsight is wonderful but when this album came out it blew minds. I was in France and all the local teenagers rushed straight out to buy it and we sat around the record-player awe-struck. We forget how novel it was at the time. Not Mozart, no, but hey, it's pop music. Would we rather have Justin Bieber? I was more Stones than Beatles and more Cream and Muddy Waters than both but I wouldn't knock them in any way. Not for no reason did Brian Wilson see Sgt. Peppers as a creative challenge.
"It blew minds", but was it the music or the packaging? It doesn't seem to me that the leap from Revolver to Sgt Pepper was all that large. In fact I think musically Revolver was better. It's true though that the cover art for Pepper was the greatest in history.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 pm

There's an interesting thread at the Gearslutz forum called "Beatles 1967- Sgt Pepper and the 2017 remix". Described in the OP as, "Sgt Pepper is being re-released as a huge box set, including complete remixes of all the songs by Giles Martin. Which was done by transferring all those individual overdub tracks from all those various reels of tape into Protools.. and then remixing and as a result... totally bypassing all the signal degradation that occurred in the submix process that was unavoidable in 1967". The thread is worth a read by any Beatles lover and easy to find with Google.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon May 29, 2017 9:38 am

Yes, there has been much discussion on the new Giles Martin Remix. I haven't heard it yet, but some of my friends have said Paul's bass playing is now much more audible.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon May 29, 2017 4:09 pm

"Fifty years ago, the future rolled onto the grid at the Indianapolis 500. That future was low and wide and electric red. It bulged and swooped, beautiful and muscular and fast even standing still. It ran with a whoosh rather than a roar, and it ran away with the race that year until the very moment it did not. Traditionalists at America’s greatest race disdained it, but 10-year-old boys from coast to coast clipped every photo of it we could find. It is every race car’s odd purpose to transport us, to overwhelm us with outrageous sensation and vicarious thrills. The 1967 STP-Paxton Turbocar did that as well as any race car of the 20th century. …

"The small Pratt & Whitney turbine power plant might have otherwise found itself in a helicopter or a corporate jet. Instead it sat side by side with driver Parnelli Jones. It produced more than 550 horsepower delivered through an innovative all-wheel-drive system. 'People forget how well it handled,' Jones says now, but what people talked about and fought over was the smooth, linear power it made. … Jones built an insurmountable lead—until a $6 transmission bearing burned up with three laps to go. Jones coasted to the pit entrance while friend and rival A.J. Foyt went on to win. … Jones started sixth and finished sixth on May 31, 1967.

"The next day the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and another overthrow began."

[excerpted from "Chariot of Fire," by Jeff MacGregor, in June 2017 issue of Smithsonian Magazine]

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 am

Here's an interesting interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5caf6mAACA

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm

"It was 50 years ago, almost to the day, that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

"The band is long gone, but the music of The Beatles still reverberates — and nowhere more loudly than in Liverpool, where the 50th birthday of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” is the spark for a citywide festival.

"The album, released in the U.S. on June 2, 1967 — just after its British debut — was a psychedelic landmark whose influences ranged from rock to raga to English music hall. For many critics and fans, it’s the Fab Four’s finest achievement.

"Half a century on, Liverpool has asked 13 artists to respond to the album’s 13 tracks, for a “Sgt. Pepper at 50 ” festival that runs through June 16. The artists come from Britain, the U.S., France, India and Australia, and their works range over theater, dance, public art, puppetry, film, fireworks and music."

[by Jill Lawless for the Associated Press, 6/2/17]

https://www.apnews.com/13c780a864fd4b3c ... ts-friends

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 am

beware IE users. some kind of malware on this site.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Return to “The Café”