Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Smith

Re: Happy 50th, Sgt. Pepper

Post by Smith » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:03 pm

I like the Geoff Emerick video. I was going to post a link here but someone has already done so.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Sgt. Pepper was a typical studio album and the Beatles never performed it live. Dutch cover band The Analogues are the first to perform it live. Check them out on youtube.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 pm
Sgt. Pepper was a typical studio album and the Beatles never performed it live. Dutch cover band The Analogues are the first to perform it live. Check them out on youtube.
typical?

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes typical. It was a creative and experimental studio process. Don't forget that The Beatles never played it live.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am

I just saw a very interesting PBS documentary here in the US, "Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution", with Howard Goodall, about the production of the album and some in-depth analysis of the inspiration for the songs, creation of the music, and the innovations used to record. I found this link which, I think, allows viewing of the program. I couldn't watch it there as the iBBC player only works in the UK, so I don't know if it's the full program. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tb97f
Interestingly, "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" were originally planned to be included in the album, but were deliberately left out.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 pm

All this 50th anniversary talk triggered me to buy ... Abbey Road 2009 remaster. :D I like the songs on Abbey Road better to be honest. That remaster is awesome! I can't truly compare then versus now because there are just too may issues. The biggest being my memory of what I actually heard via vinyl, a questionable 5gm turntable, garbage speakers, and untrained ears. I can say legitimately that it does sound awesome played through my audiophile system, and listening with classically trained ears.

Can any of you give us a first hand account of the 2017 remaster of Sgt Pepper ? If you guys can say with some objectivity that it's awesome, I may actually buy it. I would be less convinced by rose colored nostalgic bias.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 pm
A good album, but I don't think it is musically their best; I prefer Revolver.
I agree, although Abbey Road is my personal choice. The real significance is, IMHO, how recording techniques changed post Sgt. Pepper's. This was, if I heard correctly on NPR, the first time a rock 'n roll group used a four track studio which allowed more lifelike drum sounds et. al.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm

It's also worth noting that this album was full of music that was conceived as only playable on a recording. No live performances were imagined.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 pm
Can any of you give us a first hand account of the 2017 remaster of Sgt Pepper ? If you guys can say with some objectivity that it's awesome, I may actually buy it. I would be less convinced by rose colored nostalgic bias.
Hi Andrew,

I've ordered it and it is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, the sixth of June. I intend to listen to both the original album and the 50th anniversary album on my audiophile system. I will give an honest report.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Surprisingly enough, the album showed up on my doorstep today. I'll give it a listen soon and an ubiased report after that.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 pm

tgwilt wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 pm
Surprisingly enough, the album showed up on my doorstep today. I'll give it a listen soon and an ubiased report after that.
Well one thing about it is I believe that it was 4-track recording, so props to George Martin.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 pm

tgwilt wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 pm
Say dude - where is your critique of Sgt Pepper's ? And if you could comment on Captain Picante's Band, I'd appreciate that too. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Here, at last, is the long awaited and ofted requested (by at least one member) personal review of the 50th anniversary release and remix of the Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album.

This is a free review and worth every penny. I ordered the vinyl lp and played it on a stereo especially designed for playing vinyl. The components are:

Rega RP1 with performance pack upgrade
Parasound P7 Pre-amplifier
Parasound A23 Power Amplifier
Two handmade bookshelf speakers
Velodyne Minivee 8 powered subwoofer.

Why all the details. Just wanted to get the chance to be officious and pompous.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that the bass guitar and bass drum were much more prominent, yet without being distracting. When Ringo sang “With A Little Help From My Friends”, everything was, for lack of a better term, smoother.

This pretty much sums up the whole album. The sound was improved so much over the original album. I have no regrets purchasing it, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Sorry the review too so long to complete.

Tom Gwilt
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

Return to “The Café”