Can you be poor and happy?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Can you be poor and happy?

Post by glassynails » Tue May 23, 2017 6:49 pm

I read this today on a discussion about whether you can be both poor and happy. It cheered me up, since I am relatively poor financially, but I am usually happy and content although I don't have much in my life, save for my music and my guitar.

" I worked all of my life, and at best made it from pay to pay. Pursuit of better financial, (prosperity) for me was an illusion. Harder work/more hours per week, maybe got an extra teaspoon or 2 of sugar, but never made it to living on "easy street." The biggest blessing for me was when the bottom fell out of my financial situation, and I lost everything I never had. Debt is slavery. Today I am "debt free" subsisting on a small pension. Food, clothing, shelter, and yes, some of those extras I do have, yes a computer with the internet access, right? My personal possessions are all bought and paid for. I don't "own" a house or vehicle, then again the no longer own me!"

Can you be 'poor and happy'? I am also a free spirit. I don't like having debt or a house or really anything tying me down, although I do own a small house (or the bank does right now).
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

dory

Re: Can you be poor and happy?

Post by dory » Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm

I think we need a certain number of basics. Above a certain level the amount of money doesn't matter. Below that level, if you are always insecure or, worse, hungry or homelesx I think happiness gets harder.
Dory

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 am

dory wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm
I think we need a certain number of basics. Above a certain level the amount of money doesn't matter. Below that level, if you are always insecure or, worse, hungry or homelesx I think happiness gets harder.
Yes, I agree. Does that mean having a 1 million dollar portfolio, modern house, new car, latest technical gadgets? For some that a "number of basics". I guess everyone has to answer that question for themselves.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

bear

Post by bear » Wed May 24, 2017 2:39 am

I have been so poor that my socks were more hole than sock. The soles of my shoes were wrapped in a rubber band. I would steal food from delivery trucks or pieces of ice from the iceman because it made the hunger stop-for a while.
I've also had more money than I needed. I'd hop a plane to just about anywhere anytime I felt like it.
Money isn't what makes you happy. You either are or not. I'd rather be miserable with money than miserable without it.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Wed May 24, 2017 3:01 am

"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."
--Sophie Tucker

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Two extremes.

I had an office mate who came from a family with money. He and his fiance were planning on furnishing their new home. A matching theme for the entire house was considered "a necessity". Yes, why go on living if you can't have a coordinated theme for the entire house?

Many of my homeless patients states they prefer to be on the streets. First, nobody expects anything from them. Second, they have zero responsibilities. They like it that way. They do show up at the county psych unit from time to time seeking shelter, food, showers, new clothing, etc, provided by the county. But invariably, they return to the streets.

For me, if I have enough to keep my intellect satisfied and have access to shelter, good nutrition, clean clothes and hot showers, I'm good. Of course, I've taken no vow of poverty! I need no frills, but frills are very nice indeed! Guitar strings, yes. I need a regular supply of guitar strings.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed May 24, 2017 5:25 pm

These things are never absolute are they but a matter of degree and as a psychologist I am interested to see if the degree of happiness can be measured. If you all send me $100 I'll let you know how much happier I feel.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed May 24, 2017 5:33 pm

lol

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 pm

While money doesn't necessarily make you happy, the lack of, creates a challenge which can certainly challenge one's happiness...
Ron

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Asking the antithesis is a good question. Can you be really rich and sad?

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm
No Pat, resist....

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed May 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Ever seen a rich man happy? They have worries as anybody else: protecting their wealth, health, or the wellbeing of the children. Conclusion: you can be happy and poor. Wealth makes life easier, but it is no guarantee to happiness.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed May 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 pm
soltirefa wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm
No Pat, resist....
Allow me to rephrase my question. If you're really rich and you stub your toe, does it hurt?

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 pm

69% of Americans have less than $1000 in the savings accounts. That tells you something. It also makes me laugh that these investor web sites think that by the time they reach 60 everyone has 1 million in their retirement fund. I would bet most people I ask on the street even in their 60's don't even have $100k in their bank accounts.

Most people aren't as rich as everyone thinks and not everyone makes over $30,000 a year either. I know many people who live on $12 an hour.

Return to “The Café”