Can you be poor and happy?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Rasputin

Re: Can you be poor and happy?

Post by Rasputin » Thu May 25, 2017 1:16 pm

So the key to happiness is to aim low??

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:16 pm
hmm, maybe realistic and smart aims ?
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

eno

Post by eno » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Sure, I'm poor (according to my wife) but still quite happy!
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.20 1975, No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade A9 1969, custom 1967, A1 1962
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969
Takamine C136S 1976

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm

I have a rather low income and I've got used to it. I'm able to spend my little money in the way I don't consider "poor", though. I often find cheap ways to get what I really want (and most of the things I like don't need a great amount of money). I also do have a university degree and a social network that makes me feel I'm quite privileged. I live a happy life at the moment!

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu May 25, 2017 4:58 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm
A nice statement I saw recently on a video, as good as I can remember it:

Happiness in the equation of what we have in life over / what our expectations are :)
georgemarousi wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 pm
Rasputin wrote:
hmm, maybe realistic and smart aims ?
I wasn't being totally serious there. What I really think is that it's about doing things for their own sake, or just for the sake of fun, and not in the hope of meeting or exceeding your expectations. There's a place for goals and planning in most worthwhile projects, of course, but I think its quite a lowly place.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Yeah, I don't like being poor, but I am really. I'm an intelligent person (maybe some will disagree lol), but I've never been good at social situations and suffer from social anxiety and avoidance disorder, so it's held me back in life, but I'm ok with it, cause I don't really have the drive (especially at my age) to have a big important stressful life with a wife and kids and all of those worries.

I mean I have a car, cable, internet and phone, eat pretty well, have a small house and will be hopefully owning a $4000 guitar. I don't have a big income, but I should be inheriting 100k. I'm relatively happy, but I don't know how much longer I'll be alive truthfully. My father and grandfather both died in their mid 50's and I'm now 44, so I have a very different outlook on life than most men my age. I'm going to try to live into my 70's or 80's, but I really don't know if I will, nor do I know if I'd really want to. Well, I mean I want to, but I want to be healthy and able to live fairly comfortably at that age. I wouldn't even mind living in a retirement community because since I'm pretty much a loner, I'd have lots of people to talk to and life would be ok. I've always liked older people, so hopefully when and if I'm older I'll still like them! :lol:

Money is a means to an end, it doesn't excite me that much really. Even the 100k that I may inherit doesn't do much for me other than maybe I can buy that guitar and a new used car or something. Most of it I'm going to save since I don't have a large income like I mentioned. I admire my 92 year old grandmother who recently passed. She was a very financially poor woman who lived mainly on a 160 dollar pension plus 800 a month ss. She didn't have to pay rent since she owned the 4 flat house that she lived in up until 90 years old, but she always had food and everything else she needed and was very happy. She had LOVE and had many people around her that loved her and that's why SHE WAS RICH!

She had nothing as far a money, but she was INWARDLY rich! NO ONE in her 92 years would think any different of her if she was a millionaire! And guess what?? She made it relatively comfortably right up to 92 years of age on $900 a month income on her own!! Yes, I helped her to shop each week and took her to doctors appointments and called her EVERY NIGHT to talk with her and visited her every week sometimes twice a week or more, but she made it to 92! And before dementia got a hold of her for the last 2 years of her life she was relatively happy in life due to the family she had around her, she didn't need lots of money to be happy and even if she had she would've "given it to us kids to enjoy" as she had often said in her old age! Money didn't excite her, she had everything she needed and I'm very proud of her for that and look up to her! She my inspiration!

I feel that I am the same way. I am poor financially, but inwardly I am so curious and rich and fulfilled and love life and people to the fullest. Money almost seems like a big joke to me really. I don't need it to maintain my inward richness! I could be laying in the street with absolutely NOTHING and I'd still be rich inside and be the same person I am now. I'd still have love for my fellow man and weep for those that have little in life. I realize that we need money to live and in this day and age need quite a bit of it, but I WILL NOT BE A SLAVE to it, nor will I let it define WHO I AM or WHAT I'M WORTH!! I will not let society tell me that because I don't have a big income or a fancy house that I'm not good enough, smart enough, or just as worthy as those with loads of money. Nor do I care that a woman would think less of me without a big paycheck. I wouldn't even waste my time with that type of woman!

Now what to do with that 100k is the question .... I'm going to be very frugal. I also work two jobs and try to save as much as I can. I'm happy! If I was all alone living in a two room apartment with no car though I think I'd still be my same old carefree happy self!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Reading your latest post I think you have found your answer, Glassy. Live rich or die rich?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 am

glassynails wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm
...I'm going to be very frugal. I also work two jobs and try to save as much as I can. I'm happy! If I was all alone living in a two room apartment with no car though I think I'd still be my same old carefree happy self!
I like that. Best to you, glassynails.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 am

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Dickens
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri May 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Just look at all those Hollywood celebrities with loads of money who are train wrecks and unhappy, many of who end up committing suicide. I guess money doesn't always bring happiness. Like someone said, with or without money you can be happy. What's the point of this thread again?? :lol:
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

henders

Post by henders » Fri May 26, 2017 8:19 pm

My financial situation has not had much effect on my emotional state (I've never experienced true poverty however). The two things that affect my sense of well being: the state of my relationships with others and my work.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 pm

glassynails wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:53 pm
Just look at all those Hollywood celebrities with loads of money who are train wrecks and unhappy, many of who end up committing suicide. I guess money doesn't always bring happiness. Like someone said, with or without money you can be happy. What's the point of this thread again?? :lol:
Perhaps the secret to happiness is not to compare yourself with other people. There are always people who are brighter, richer or more successful. Pursue your own happiness and love the ones you are with.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri May 26, 2017 8:53 pm

When you are young and in love - how could you be not happy??
Could you buy love for money?
Could you return your childhood for money?
Money will not buy happiness...maybe some comfort?
convenience?
Money could not buy a talent...
Money could not buy a music inside...
Money could not buy feeling of harmony and beauty ...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri May 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 pm
Perhaps the secret to happiness is not to compare yourself with other people. There are always people who are brighter, richer or more successful. Pursue your own happiness and love the ones you are with.
Thank you for that, Erik.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Ever heard of the Peter principle: It states that the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence".

Think of the implications worldwide: all managers will reach their level of incompetence and are unhappy in their present position. They have all reached a level too high.

Return to “The Café”