Can you be poor and happy?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Steve Kutzer

Re: Can you be poor and happy?

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 pm

I saw a FB post along the lines of...

Why is it a choice between poor and happy or rich and miserable? Can't I be moderately well to-do and a little moody?
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm
And I play guitar for family and friends
Yeah, but does that make them happy?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:55 am

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet." this is like the beginning of a Monty Python routine:

A:Feet? Luxury! My family was too poor to afford feet. we used swim fins attached to our knees.

B: Swim fins? Heaven! we fixed cardboard to our elbows and clambered about in the dirt, etc. etc.

I think that if you can afford to be 'poor'--that is, do without most of what passes as necessity, while still having health care and a roof over your head and a decent diet--you will already be happier than most people who are awash in 'luxury'. "Blessed are the poor in spirit"--that is, those who are detached from possessions and look elsewhere for happiness.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:48 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm
And I play guitar for family and friends
Yeah, but does that make them happy?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:55 am
….
"Blessed are the poor in spirit"--that is, those who are detached from possessions and look elsewhere for happiness.
Perhaps that is not the correct interpretation. It could mean that rich evil bastards, who are not spiritual in the least, are blessed … :mrgreen:

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

One could be always poor...born in poverty and die in poverty...majority of Humanity live like that...
but most readers of this topic...and forum not really poor (hungry,with no good shelter etc.)...even when they imagine themselves to be poor ...
but... could one be ALWAYS happy??
no way...unless he is out of his mind in some way...
it is probably normal to be happy/unhappy and again and again...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

chelson

Post by chelson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Poor measures from outside,
Happy measures from within.
What outside is momentarily,
What within is forever.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

chelson wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:26 pm
Poor measures from outside,
Happy measures from within.
What outside is momentarily,
What within is forever.
:okok:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Can you be Glassynails and be happy ...... ? :shock:
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:59 am

I like what Chelson wrote. I'm not sure of the definition of forever. It depends on what you believe the soul / consciousness to be.

However I wasn't going to join in on that point. I was going to put the Bhuddist perspective to this and say:

When we are born we are born with nothing. When we die we cannot take anything away with us. We are but a transitory being that goes from nothing to nothing. What is in between is what you make of it. Happiness is also in nothingness.

I haven't actually studied the scriptures as such and this isn't a quote or anything just something I learnt along the way, paraphrased.

scubarookie

Post by scubarookie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:25 pm

This is a very interesting question! One with many variables. I think you can. As long as your level of financial income, does not interfere with the very basics of what actually makes you happy, in your day to day activities. Being of sound: body, mind, and spirit, can give you the right answer. However, this is an internal question we can only ask for ourselves. The world outside of this, can blind us from this truth. You can aquire millions and travel the world, but when in comes right to "it", the answer will always be in ourselves! We all have the ability to change everything, but it always starts with us. Sincerely, Stephen

60moo

Post by 60moo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

(i) To the extent that he envies the rich, I think a poor person is unhappy.

(ii) Overall, and all things being equal, I think it's much better to be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. Money is a wonderful defence against many of the vicissitudes that life can throw at us.

(iii) Not all, but a lot of the financial hardship and resulting unhappiness I see in my corner of the world cannot be blamed on our political or economic institutions, but on the education system - both our formal education (viz. the school curriculum i.e. idiotic syllabus) and private education (viz. our upbringing in the family home i.e. idiotic parents).

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

Interesting thread

I'd add some other thoughts.

(i) There is a difference between poverty and deprivation. The former to my mind means true lack of the basic necessities to live and thrive. I think we'd all agree it is very difficult to be happy in that situation. The latter is having less than those around you. Even the fantastically rich can suffer from deprivation if they feel others have more than them. It's not true poverty but a poverty mentality.

(ii) I wonder if it is possible to change the question around and ask if it is possible to be very rich and happy? If you are a billionaire, how do you trust people? Are they interested in you or your money? You need bodyguards for you and your family. You are always afraid someone is going to take your money away. How easy is it to be happy in that situation? I see many super rich people on the television and in the news. Not many of them seem to be any happier than I am.

(iii) In a capitalist society, we are fooled into thinking we are poorer than we are and happiness is an external thing that can be acquired. It can't. We do need material things to live but perhaps not as much as we think. I think anyone can be happy when they feel they have enough. Once you have life's necessities I think true happiness comes when you can learn to value what you have and not what you lack. The pursuit of lasting happiness in riches (or fame or relationships or anything external) is a fool's errand.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Ideally, if I were rich, I'd like to keep it a secret, but I suspect it would be amazingly difficult.

I havent read the whole thread, but it's a glassy question and is pretty much America-centric, I guess.
The effect of poverty varies depending on whether your neighbours are millionaires and you are in in New York, or whether you are living in rural India and are surrounded by people whose lives are the same as yours and you have a huge extended mutually-supportive family.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

60moo

Post by 60moo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Mickmac wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am
....is it possible to be very rich and happy?....I think true happiness comes when you can learn to value what you have and not what you lack.
There are many people who are super rich and who are very happy with their lives - and I think it's exactly for the reason you've given. They truly appreciate how fortunate they are.

But there are probably more who aren't so happy. I remember once when the leading business publication in Australia would list the "Rich 200" every year. One very successful business identity claimed that most of those on the list whom he personally knew were, in his opinion, miserable.

I put it down to a particular obsessiveness which must be driving these people to greater riches. I'm no psychologist, but having that "burr in the saddle" from a very young age (perhaps caused by some traumatic event at that stage of their life) would appear to be a pre-requisite in chasing "success". They continue in this vein to satisfy that psychological need, and not because they're pursuing happiness per se.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 am

To sum up then: it is possible to be poor but happy and it is possible to be rich but unhappy. And possible means less than certain.

So here's a question to consider personally, not with reference to some other noble or despicable person.

Given the chance to be much poorer than you currently are but possibly happy OR much richer than you currently are but possibly unhappy which gamble would you take?

Return to “The Café”