Top Ten Inventions and Innovations

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Top Ten Inventions and Innovations

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 pm

I'll nominate the dashboard Jesus as one of the top 10 inventions...kidding!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Gitgeezer specifically wants to know the inventions most meaningful to life, but we haven't answered glassy's question about what that is yet, and that thread will be banned soon on religious grounds anyway.

I've always had a fondness for soup spoons. In theory the spork should rank up there, but it never got over its image problem.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks, pogmoor. Now back to the subject.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea of downgrading the pc to the second 10 on the list and replacing it perhaps with antibiotics. But before we do that, I'll make a last ditch effort to defend the position of the pc. We're not just talking about computing power, of course, but also about the internet, knowledge, and communications. I'm old enough to remember the advent of the mainframe computer and the revolution that created in business, engineering, and science. Now that's available to each of us through the PC.

I could make a long list of the wrong things my teachers told us or refused to even discuss. In my small hometown, even the library collection was slanted toward "acceptable" knowledge. The pc and the internet has freed us from that. It has become our window on the world. Even in cities where we had access to large and unabridged libraries, the pc has made it much easier and faster to find information. What we might have spent hours trying to find in even a well-stocked library is now available to us immediately with a well-worded internet query.

And think about all the innovative ways personal computers are used in schools and workplaces. We're also much better connected to what's going on in government. Whether you're a farmer who wants to keep in touch with the latest research of the Department of Agriculture or a medical doctor who wants the best information on a particular drug before prescribing it, the latest information is available at your fingertips.

As for communications, we're better connected than we were before by letter and telephone. I just received an email from an old friend who just moved to another state. She wanted to tell me of the success of her move and how happy she was with her new home, while giving me her new house address, phone number, and email address. The most amazing thing was that I was only one of dozens of friends and colleagues to whom she sent her email.

Oh, and did I mention that without the PC we wouldn't have Delcamp and wouldn't be having this delightful discussion?

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:41 pm

There's nothing about the pc that's meaningful - most of my day is spent doing the internet equivalent of channel-hopping on the TV. I hate it. I occasionally make lists of what's essential such as the important email addresses, one or two shopping sites, with a view to ditching the internet and my over-priced ISP. I haven't reached a definitive list yet. I'm part of a freehold management company, which might make things awkward. Fortunately I neither communicate with my bank nor my hospital on the internet. I may buy a smartphone or a tablet.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:10 pm

"As for communications, we're better connected than we were before by letter and telephone. I just received an email from an old friend who just moved to another state. She wanted to tell me of the success of her move and how happy she was with her new home, while giving me her new house address, phone number, and email address. The most amazing thing was that I was only one of dozens of friends and colleagues to whom she sent her email."

If the pc had been established before phones, and then phones came along, we'd all be marveling at the obvious superiority of the telephone for communications. "Yeah, you can hear the other person's voice, their emotions! You can tell if they're joking or being serious! It's far more personal of a connection than the internet, which is cold and abstract when communicating". Your friend could just as easily have phoned or mailed you a letter.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:11 pm

The other week down the pub I wondered what it would be like to have no tv, no CDs, no record players, no cinema and to be forced to go to the theatre for music and drama (or make your own). Obviously we'd have to have 19th century theatre admission fees, not modern ones.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I would remove refrigeration and add tetrapak --- pasteurise and pack sterile food in a way that can easily be stacked and transported and not go bad.
This allows people in remote and poor areas get fed, Get refugee aid and all sorts. Benefit even areas without electricity.
Therefore it's benefit to society overall must be greater?
Eating fresh food before it needs refrigeration is also best, it however requires more often shopping excursions but enhance local supply/ shopping and reducing carbon footprint. (Admittedly that might not work in parts of the world such as America where the closest shop is a car ride away :-( it only works if you design cities for people (as opposed to design them for cars)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:11 pm
The other week down the pub I wondered what it would be like to have no tv, no CDs, no record players, no cinema and to be forced to go to the theatre for music and drama (or make your own). Obviously we'd have to have 19th century theatre admission fees, not modern ones.
There are certainly advantages to cd's and all the rest...but entire ways of being with other people and experiencing art and music have vanished. In the states background music at the bars is often so loud that it discourages conversation.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me until I was on the way to the takeaway half an hour ago that going to the theatre would also provide social interaction.

I think I can just about remember when my parents had a larder/pantry but no fridge yet. It was possible to buy everything fresh the day you needed it when the right shops were still open. When cheese got mouldy you scraped the mould off and ate the cheese underneath. Now my mother throws away stuff when it's midnight on its best before date.

Recently I read the diaries of Anne Lister (1820s). She advises buying a whole lamb when on holiday in Wales, so that by the time you get back to Halifax, although the exterior meat is rotten, there's still good meat underneath!

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm
Eating fresh food before it needs refrigeration is also best, it however requires more often shopping excursions but enhance local supply/ shopping and reducing carbon footprint. (Admittedly that might not work in parts of the world such as America where the closest shop is a car ride away :-( it only works if you design cities for people (as opposed to design them for cars)
True, but more and more Americans (nearly 40% of households I believe) are growing their own food or participating in community gardens. You can't get much fresher than that and it's obviously easier to do if you're not confined to a flat in the city center.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Where I live there's a lively urban farm movement. People in very expensive homes down the street have chickens. Large plots of land have been made available in Oakland for food growing.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm
Where I live there's a lively urban farm movement. People in very expensive homes down the street have chickens. Large plots of land have been made available in Oakland for food growing.
Yeah, where I'm from it was always just expected that if you have a patch of dirt you grow some tomatoes, squash, okra, carrots and so on.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Yay! Good to hear! Then out goes refrigeration and in goes tetrapak for top ten! Haha!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:09 am

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 pm
Yay! Good to hear! Then out goes refrigeration and in goes tetrapak for top ten! Haha!
I was just being a pedantic so-and-so, sorry :mrgreen: One of my many faults I guess. But it does appear to be true that more people here are growing some of their own food anyway. And your point about car-centeredness is correct in too many ways.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 am

Tetrapak may be important for the future but doesn't seem to meet the requirement to be among the top ten most meaningful to human life today. Besides, if tetrapac replaces refrigeration, how are we going to get our beer cold? As for inventions that may be important for the future how about this prediction from Bloomberg Businessweek:

"In terms of impact on the future of the human race, no invention in this still-young century may measure up to the gene-editing tool Crispr."

Return to “The Café”