bilingual people on Delcamp.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
astra69

Re: bilingual people on Delcamp.

Post by astra69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:43 pm
I'm not bilingual so you don't want to hear from me, strictly speaking....but I couldn't resist commenting!

However, the ideas the book (and site) outline are things like the using flashcards with spaced repetition methods (Anki is a free tool that does this) along with targeting the most used words in a language 1st as well as a few other good ideas.
The spaced repetition idea (which I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread) is really the big thing, for me, which could/should help someone to learn a language. The basic idea being that if you test yourself on the things that you are just about to forget or have just forgot, then you will get them into long term memory by testing your recall when this happens. But like everything, you still need to put time aside to get started (my problem at the moment - setting the flashcards up in anki...) and then continuing to use the method.

I did French at school and my wife did German so if we dust off our school books then maybe we can get our little one up to 4 languages!
I mentioned 'memrise' website and appilication. (a disclaimer:P "I don't have any interest in giving this name. I just use it and like it a lot.) There are many 'ready' courses which you can use right off the bat. You can do the search and I'm sure you will find a level which suits you. It's like community sharing. People create courses and others can use them. It saves time on putting time aside. Though, the courses are not tailored exactly for you.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Someone did research with hearing children of deaf parents. The parents left the TV on so the children would be exposed to oral language. None started to speak orally until they entered preschool with hearing children. As soon as they were exposed to oral language from humans rather than electronic media they learned to speak. I say this because I am a fan of learning languages by talking to people as opposed to exclusively electronic media, although I think it likely that something like software can be a good adjunct to human contact. I would also warn that it is hard although not impossible to teach children a language by talking exclusively with acparent. Chldren are drawn to speaking the language that other children speak around them. (That is why I say foreign language classes for children who don't have the opportunity to speak that language with another language are a challenge.) However, many of them, as adults are glad their parents made the effort. Excuse me for being pedantic. My Ph.D. Is in language learning.
Dory

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 am

IMHO the formula for learning a foreign language is very simple: Expose yourself to it as much as possible. People naturally desire comfort and ease over effort, but that is the root of frustration. So you need to forgo the comfort and ease of your native language by exposing yourself, as much as possible, to the language you want to learn, in various ways (reading material, textbooks, CDs, DVDs, radio, TV, and whatever else is available to you). It's like learning CG: You can't just spend 15 minutes a day at it and expect to become good.

I can testify that this formula works well because that's how I learned Japanese and became a commercial translator.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 am

woodenhand wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 am
You can't just spend 15 minutes a day at it and expect to become good
Yeah, I often see the phrase "little and often", and it's total nonsense. That word "little" is just wrong. Partly it's wrong factually, and partly it's wrong because it gives lazy people the wrong idea.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”