Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Post by glassynails » Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't know why, but I haven't even picked up my guitar in almost 2 weeks. I was depressed the last 4 days also, that may be it. I'm getting over the depression now, but I still don't really feel like playing. This happens about once a year. Most of the time I am a happy go lucky person, but lately it's been raining all month and I have been feeling rather down about my life. It seems like the older I get, grayer and balder and I get rather depressed about ageing and things. I look in the mirror and it's a stranger I'm looking at, not the vibrant young man I once was ..... :(

I love life and find it very interesting! As you know every subject with me can become a hobby more or less, that's why I ask so many questions. Curiosity is my middle name. Lately though I've been feeling old, useless, stupid, etc. I'm 44, is that old? I feel like a young man trapped in an old man's body. Getting old sucks, but I guess it happens to us all.

One thing in this humbling experience of losing my hair and going gray is that I realize that I can't judge people by their age anymore. No longer do I say "Oh that's just some old guy or old lady!" No, that's a man or a woman that is getting older just like we all are! My 92 year old grandmother inside was the same old 25 year old girl, but her body had aged! We have to remember that!

Young people don't realize that the person they're referring to as "old" will be them someday! And that someday will come sooner than later! 20 years ago I was 24 and my whole life was ahead of me! I was excited and care free, but in an instant 20 years went by and I am now an old man!

Youth is wasted on the young! When I was young my father used to shake his head when I got depressed and say "Put your head up son, you got the world by the b#!@!". I never realized it then, but now I realize what my father said was correct!

Life is beautiful and wonderful, but it goes by so quick! Enjoy every minute of it and never take it for granted!

Heck I might even play a few pieces right now!

Peace and love to all,
Glassynails
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 pm

I believe that I understand you well. So instead of going into philosophical divagations I simply say: Happy playing ! Keep it up as much as possible !

Jacek
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

a human

Post by a human » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am

I would do love to be 44 again. At 64, I wonder where all my energy went! The main thing is to wake up each morning and thank the powers that be for the day and do something positive with it. Try to focus outward, say positive things even if you have doubts, and move forward. At the end of the day think of what you did right, what might need improving and thank the powers that be for the day. Doing something for others is a mood improver. Hugs.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 am

I haven't played mine in a while either, mainly because I sent it to Peter Tsiorba in Portland, Oregon to fix it up a bit. I should have it back next week.
I turned 67 last month and 12 weeks ago I was given the Atkins diet book and it literally changed my life. I was very depressed with having gained so much weight before that and I truly felt hopeless to do anything about it. Life is good again and aging doesn't really bother me. You can't stop time, that's for sure.
Help!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 am

C'mon glassy, keep a stiff upper lipp. Everybody gets into a sentimental mood from time to time. But, honestly, 44 is not really an age to be worried about. The best years are yet to come. I'll be 60 in 4 weeks time. And I recall my 50th birthday like it was yesterday. Time fades away, that's true. But you have to embrace the future. As you put it: Life is wonderful - and music is a universe of enjoyment.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

henders

Post by henders » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

if you're wanting advice, here is mine: start running. Every other day, three or 4 miles.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm

glassynails wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 pm
... I'm 44, is that old? ... Young people don't realize that the person they're referring to as "old" will be them someday!
You whippersnapper you! :D I remember around my 40th birthday, a colleague came into my office with a very sad look on his face. He said, "I'm so sorry for you because you'll never be able to think of yourself as young again." What a bunch of nonsense! A quote from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" :: "Youth is wasted on all the wrong people." Yeah, I'd love to have young physicality, but I would not trade my mature emotional and intellectual status for anything!

Take heart Glassy! You ain't dead yet! Also, please realize that your guitar has (probably) not evaporated, quantum probability notwithstanding. It's still there waiting for you when you are ready. Guitars are like that!

I do understand your mood issues. For example, I simply cannot play if I've had an unresolved argument with my wife - my mood is too negative. But playing my Gore redwood top brings me so much joy, that it is actually part of my mood therapy! After I resolve issues with my wife, of course! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Howdy Glassynails!

Its now Thursday; have you picked up your guitar yet? I hope so!

I sometimes think I am the only one who gets into blue funks, but i guess other folks do too! This sounds like a good idea to me; it won't cost much and perhaps it might get you feeling better again...?
  • Get a few tubes of acrylic artist paint (not too many; 4 or 5 common colors should do) and some acid-free paper. (just plain old 8.5 x 11 paper) Paint some abstract paintings. (NOTHING representational...! Pure abstract!)

Try things like different brush directions, thickness of paint, water washes, daubing paint on with a cloth or knife, mixing paint incompletely, tracing a shape as a stencil, painting over pieces of tape and then pulling them off, etc... Avoid planning! Paint very quickly!

After expending a few dozen sheets of paper, you might find one of them interesting. Now, mount that painting on a larger, plain white, plain black, or grey background. (I would try some canvas and gesso it and glue your painting on in the middle, or use poster matting and mounting, etc.) Now, hang it on a bare wall. Look at it.
If you get the inclination, please let me know how it worked!

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:54 am

Yeah, I was playing Turina's Solearas the other day. I just haven't had the time and have been tired out. I've been trying to get my lawn in order and have so much work to do around the house lately. I've been replanting and tilling parts of the lawn and pulling weeds and stuff.

Even got a darned sunburn on my bald spot on the back of my head! It's a little sore. Gotta wear a hat these days in the sun. Good thing is is that my muscles have been getting a good workout. I was the sorest I've been in years the other day, no joke. I almost couldn't sleep I was so sore! Every single muscle in my body ached! Then I got out there again today for more! and I'm gonna get out there Saturday too to finish up some weeding! I can hardly get up out of the chair my muscles ache so much .... but it's a good ache!! I'm finally working my muscles!

If you want a good work out try taking a hand cultivator and a garden rake and get in and rake some dirt and rip out all the weeds and plant some new grass! It's very satisfying!! Now hopefully the new grass will come in!!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 am

I've barely touched my guitar for a year. I bit off half my finger nails and still haven't grown them back. Also I know that it will be impossible to keep up the guitar in the long run, as the uke will always predominate, and strumming it destroys my index nail, so there's not much point in playing CG. At night after I turn off the TV, I usually mess around with a few Brouwer pieces for 20 minutes, but that's not practice.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

eno

Post by eno » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:53 pm

We all get depressed once in a while (me included). In mid-40s many people go through mid-life crisis (me included). Many guitar players have periods of non-playing (me included, I had many, some of them were up to a few years). We all get old when time comes. But now at 56 I'm so grateful that I'm stil alive, reasonably healthy, employed, have family, and can still play guitar. Playing guitar gives me immence delight and satisfaction. There are many great things in life but after trying a lot of them I came to conclusion that creating and enjoying beauty is one of the highest delights and satisfactions in this life. And this is what art and music and guitar playing in particular is all about. So I don't care anymore if I'm getting old and creapy, loose health, retire, will eventually die, all of this is so unimportant compared to the beauty of music, it's all temporary but music is eternal. Dowland's Lacrimae or Bach's Chaconne are as beautiful, fresh and alive as they were 500 years ago, so when I listen or play them I enter eternity where no time and no laws of this world can rule.

I used to be a Buddhist, and Buddha taught that absolutely everything in this life is temporary and non-satisfactory. I don't agree with that anymore, I know for a fact that music is not.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

bluetoby

Post by bluetoby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:15 pm

i have spells like that i have been unable to play classical guitar for almost 3 months due to a trapped nerve in my back.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

When I was 44 I didn't look much different than I did at 24. I am saying that not to be snarky or to make you feel bad. Then in my mid to late 50s I hit that thing that men don't go through and felt like all of the collagen had been sucked out of my body. Every ounce. It hit me hard--much harder than it would have if the aging process had been more gradual. I think that I still look ok for my (advanced) age but the fall from grace was not fun-- especially since I still looked young at 50. I look in the mirror and... I feel like it shouldn't have happened. It happens to us all. I will say from personal experience that the years between 44 and 60 go by in a flash. I guess it is really only about 15 years but it feels like 15 minutes. What scares me is to think that in another 15 I will be in my 70s. Then imagine what I will be looking at in the mirror. However, on another level I feel differently. My mom just died of Alzheimer's and my dad, at 92, suddenly became frail about 2 years ago. I am completely able bodied. I go to the gym and take long walks. Thank God, as a guitarist I am arthritis- free. I know what is coming but I want to enjoy the moment. Ok. I am making myself enjoy the moment when I have no disabilities-- physical or mental-- yet.

I would urge you to look at yourself in the mirror again. So, your hair has aged. A lot of women find bald men sexy, and I read somewhere that baldness is associated with high testosterone levels. I will bet that your face is still relatively unwrinkled. Concentrate on your face and enjoy the fact that it still looks relatively young. You can always go retro and wear a fedora, or get Just for Men hair stuff if the grey bothers you a lot. Your muscles must still be strong or you wouldn't be doing so much gardening. The end is coming for all of us but let's enjoy the years before it does.
Dory

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

bluetoby wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:15 pm
i have spells like that i have been unable to play classical guitar for almost 3 months due to a trapped nerve in my back.
That happened to me 5 years ago, and it took 3 months of physiotherapy to get over it. About a week ago it happened on the other side, but much weaker and I could still remember the most important stretching exercise, and so, touch wood, it has gone now.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:25 pm

For the hair, ask the recipe of the "golden shower" to your president ... :lol:

Or, accept yourself as you are, look after your look, do some sports, and get out!
Many women will appreciate you as you are if you love yourself too. :wink:

Even with gray hair, a few extra pounds and wrinkles. :P

Be yourself, with the young mind even if the body is a little less.
And keep playing the guitar, people (men, women and children) love it!

I'm 63 years old

:bye:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Return to “The Café”