Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I gather the main gist is that you are having a mid-life crisis. The solution is study, glassy. I first graduated when I was 44. It keeps you busy. You ask a lot of questions. Immerse yourself in purposeful, directed reading. But not the kind of philosophy that will make you want to top yourself. Have an aim.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm

A little young for andropause, right?
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 pm

posted by mistake, sorry
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 pm

[*]Get a few tubes of acrylic artist paint (not too many; 4 or 5 common colors should do) and some acid-free paper. (just plain old 8.5 x 11 paper) Paint some abstract paintings. (NOTHING representational...! Pure abstract!)

Try things like different brush directions, thickness of paint, water washes, daubing paint on with a cloth or knife, mixing paint incompletely, tracing a shape as a stencil, painting over pieces of tape and then pulling them off, etc... Avoid planning! Paint very quickly!

After expending a few dozen sheets of paper, you might find one of them interesting. Now, mount that painting on a larger, plain white, plain black, or grey background. (I would try some canvas and gesso it and glue your painting on in the middle, or use poster matting and mounting, etc.) Now, hang it on a bare wall. Look at it.

[/list]

If you get the inclination, please let me know how it worked!
I like that idea. :)

At age 45 (1995) I enrolled at Chabot Community College in Hayward, CA. By then my laborer days were over as a demolition worker. I went to the school originally to learn to weld. My Dad was a welder too and also played guitar. Prior to that I had taken a 6 week welding class through the union and got a taste for it. After enrolling I also took math, art history, drawing, oil painting, photography and a 6 week machine shop class. I loved using the mill and lathe. I was disappointed when they cancelled the metal sculpture class. :( The units were very cheap and I was at school more than I was at home. I loved going there and made so many new friends from all over the world with 3 being from Vietnam. When I was a stupid kid I hated school and did a year for truancy. At the college I had a 4.0 GPA and made the Dean's list. This is maybe something you could try down the road. I also do plenty of yard work here, believe me. Chainsaw, hedger, mower and DR trimmer plus I haul it all to the free dump. I also mow and trim at a friend's property and he pays me. Nice to get a little extra cash. :)
Help!

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:55 pm

glassynails, if you get significantly depressed once a year does it happen around the same time of year? anniversaries of significant events, usually negative ones, can trigger a period of depression. if you have an EAP (Employment Assistance Program) you could use that resource or you could see a therapist through your health insurance.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:03 am

Tubbers wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm
Hi Tubbers

I sent you a PM.

cheers!

dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:09 pm

By the way, there were periods in my life when I did not play guitar for 2 weeks or more... when I was in hospital ...or when I was overwhelmed by other things in life especially work... or when guitar was not available in certain places...etc. So it is not a big deal - two weeks :) - just take your guitar and play it :)
It is so great to play something which you love and sounds so great!!! :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:50 pm

From Glassynails
"Even got a darned sunburn on my bald spot on the back of my head!"

I remember my first baldspot sunburn clearly. 25 years ago.
I was actually shocked! but now just a funny memory...

Take time to feel better and take care of yourself like you would for
someone you love.

Besides, I follow you on youtube.
There's something in your playing, maybe your phrasing and tone,
that I absolutely love.
Last edited by oc chuck on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:14 am

Quote oc chuck:
"Besides, I follow you on youtube.
There's something in your playing, maybe your phrasing and tone,
that I absolutely love."

And I myself doubt that I will ever play as well as you, glassy.
Help!

jason790420

Post by jason790420 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:20 pm

I haven't touched my guitars for quite a while. And I felt so stupid and clumsy when I try to play again.
It's like every hard work I've put into it for the past few weeks vanished. It's not that I drop practice on purpose. I was just... busy.

I know your depression, Glassynails, at least to some extent. And I do hope we get over it someday.

Best of luck

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Like Keith says, these things can result from the anniversary of a death or the breakup of a relationship. Christmas is a common time for depression if family get-togethers are no longer possible. Possibly even if family get-togethers are enforced!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:30 pm

If you haven't played for two weeks and the depression was four days ago, perhaps not playing the guitar has caused the depression rather than the other way around? Also it's normal to experience some depression around the seasonal changes (especially when the bad weather holds on longer than usual). I've noticed as I get older I'm more susceptible to changes in the weather as well as tied to the cycle of night and day (now I get tired when the sun goes down for example).

Sometimes when I don't have motivation or the ability to practice for one reason or another (mood or other factors) for an extended period of time, it has a negative effect on my overall mood. Often a good practice session will fix it right up. And many times after a short break I find I've made progress by NOT playing (bad habits become easier to address, it's more exciting, etc.).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

davemall

Post by davemall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:16 pm

I think the term for this is manopause.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 am

I'm going grey at 36...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:20 am

Bald spot...turning 44...it's so awful. Now, clinical depression is a serious beast for sure. And it's not about any objective thing in the end; it's a psychological condition that can ruin lives. Being depressed about aging...well, that's another matter. Maybe visit a hospital emergency room. Or an assisted living facility. Or a children's hospital. That might make you want to sing the glories of being 44.

any health issues beyond the sunburn?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “The Café”