Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

Re: Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 am

The problem is that modern psychiatry is not so much a science as it a guessing game between patient and doctor. Too often a drug is prescribed...too little is made on nutrients.

Screening for depression is a broad based symptom list...diagnosis requires no chemical tests...If your depressed your depressed, what is the cure? Do mood elevators or other drugs really do anything? According to modern doctors they can cure perception of reality as they see fit with pills.

Get tested for vitamin D levels and B12...these two are proven to help mood, and vitamin D deficiency can cause aches and pains later in life.

Player guitar, make love to a beautiful woman...Drink a bourbon. Doctors orders :)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:07 am

"The problem is that modern psychiatry..."

Talk therapy (different from modern psychiatry) is famous for helping with depression. I can testify to that myself. I suffered from bouts of clinical depression until my late twenties, when I wen into talk therapy. Now, except for rare hours or a few days, I'm past this. It's not just me either; again, talk therapy is known to work for many people. Finally, if you look around you can sometimes find affordable sessions available. In my town there are several psychotherapy 'factories' where third year and beyond candidates can 'practice' with suitable patients for very cheap. Yeah, it may be a crap shoot, but this worked for me. My sessions were $5.00 a pop so I did several sessions a week, which expedited things fantastically.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:37 pm
I gather the main gist is that you are having a mid-life crisis. The solution is study, glassy. I first graduated when I was 44. It keeps you busy. You ask a lot of questions. Immerse yourself in purposeful, directed reading. But not the kind of philosophy that will make you want to top yourself. Have an aim.
I also graduated very late in life, courtesy of the Open University. But the OU is no longer an affordable way of obtaining a degree. It was, I believe, originally intended for those who had neither the time nor the cash to attend normal university - people like me who had a full-time job, but wanted to study in their spare time. Today, it is no cheaper than any other university.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am
Andrew Fryer wrote:
I gather the main gist is that you are having a mid-life crisis. The solution is study, glassy. I first graduated when I was 44. It keeps you busy. You ask a lot of questions. Immerse yourself in purposeful, directed reading. But not the kind of philosophy that will make you want to top yourself. Have an aim.
I also graduated very late in life, courtesy of the Open University. But the OU is no longer an affordable way of obtaining a degree. It was, I believe, originally intended for those who had neither the time nor the cash to attend normal university - people like me who had a full-time job, but wanted to study in their spare time. Today, it is no cheaper than any other university.
How do you work that out?

OU - 360 credits = c. £18k. Brick uni - 3 yrs x £9k pa = £27k.

The OU is about 1/3 less by my reckoning.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:09 am

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Most of what I'd say about the OU is negative. I studied there and at UCL (arts faculty), and UCL was infinitely better.
Yes, the OU is OK if you can't study anywhere else, barring the price, which is now excessive.
But the impression I got was that the OU was mainly being exploited by people who were already graduates and for whom undergraduate study with the OU was a cheap, fun hobby.
When I did A103 it was about £500, but when I looked at the equivalent Introduction to the Social Sciences course a year or two back, it was at least £1,500. Insania!
Rasqeo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am
OU - 360 credits = c. £18k. Brick uni - 3 yrs x £9k pa = £27k.
The standard cost of an OU degree (including components done at UCL) when I was there was about £3,000 (£500 per 60 points, times 6).
Then afterwards when I went to UCL, the cost of a part-time MA was about £3,000, also.
Afterwards everything seemed to treble to about £9,000 in total. I don't know where your figures come from, unless there have been further hikes since.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:25 am

From OU website:

"Our fee for a standard 30-credit module is £1,432, and for a standard 60-credit module it's £2,864*. Most of our students study 60 credits per year over six years for an honours degree. "

I agree it's excessive for what it is. But still less than a degree from a traditional uni.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 am

If that's true, then they have re-doubled everything since.

Problem is I don't know if I'm committing libel by saying what I dislike. I said UCL was infinitely better than the OU, but that was more than 10 years ago, and I noticed UCL going decidedly downhill during my time there. There were some senior staff who used the old standards and there were some younger staff who were earning less than I was earning and who didn't know how to teach. And the A-levels were going downhill it seemed (student with A-level Latin: "Is tempore an infinitive, miss?") and colleges had to change their standards to meet the declining entry abilities. Then a professor was taken on merely on the strength of their research being likely to attract funds, and two or three senior staff resigned or took early retirement in protest. And a couple of deaths didn't help.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:00 am

The million dollar question...Where is Glassynails...if your okay, alive and well just let us know.

Talk therapy yeah it's great. I guess it helps, but it makes me angry that the therapist always ask direct questions with simplistic answers. I wish I personally had a highly skilled doctor...One who doesn't simply take my symptoms and write a prescription...

I also think it's stupid to pay a professional therapist. Just go to a bar and order soda water with lime...talk to somebody random and you will always gain insights. Always in the tavern or pub on a good day somebody there is going out...well just to talk.

I think talk therapy is fine, maybe highly effective. But for serious chemical mineral deficiencies, that's not going to help much. Heck my doctor said my b12 levels were fine when they were in fact borderline low. My D levels were low. Ironic, they'll give me a prescrip for D, but not B12...

I think the great Linus Pauling made some observations regarding mental health and vitamin deficiencies. These morons in the medical world, only want to suggest "hey man your depressed, let's just get to the root of it and get you on an SSRI"

Nobody seems to ask the simple question about diet. Garbage in garbage out.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:00 am
The million dollar question...Where is Glassynails...if your okay, alive and well just let us know.
According to his Profile page, he last logged in late Friday night. So he's around, but maintaining radio silence for whatever reason.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Was looking at this curious thread earlier, where Glassy has been offered well meaning advice ranging from:

seek a professional mental health consultation

through.. get down to the bar and chat to a stranger

to .. pull yourself together man.

Along the way are musings about the cost and value of alternative British degrees, doubts about whether medics really know much at all and whether perhaps the right levels of vitamins are as valuable as drugs and therapy.

I decided to remind myself of Glassy's playing and visited his tube recordings. While enjoying a Handel transcription played very nicely, I scrolled down and, I'm not making this up, came upon a National Geographic video explaining how easy it is for a rat to swim up your toilet! Seems they have hinged ribs and can tread water for 3 days. The mind boggles as to how anyone knows that last fact. Actually they looked quite cute doggy paddling around a tank.

From a Sunday morning rat to a Sunday morning rant: early days but this thread promises much too.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113649

Knowing how Glassy has catholic interests I imagine he might find this thread quite entertaining.

Very best wishes Glassy; we hope to hear from you soon.

a human

Post by a human » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Just checked in to see how Glassynails is doing. Hope he is okay.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 am

I think CG players live on average much longer no? The vibrations of the instrument are actually used as therapy by some alternatve healers... so 44 for a muggle is 33 for a CG player! You are therefore young. Problem solved!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm

"I also think it's stupid to pay a professional therapist. Just go to a bar and order soda water with lime...talk to somebody random and you will always gain insights."

With all due respect...I'm just going to go ahead and say that talking to a random drun...person in a bar is not equivalent to seeing a good therapist on a regular basis over a period of months. I mean, come on. Would you ask random people in a bar how to best raise your daughter, deal with a sharp pain in your chest, invest your money or play your guitar?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

quavers

Post by quavers » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm

"Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”
-The Late Dr. Wayne Dyer

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:04 pm

LOL funny you'd mention that Jeffery. I met a guy in our local bar who was a flamenco player and he told me a great story about how his girlfriend in Spain bought him a lovely guitar by a top luthier. Manuel Velasquez

Go to the pub for conversation, exchange of jokes, listen to tales of everyday absurdity, listen to the other guy next to you tell a sad tale like country western song. Oh and yes Jefferey, I could in fact get medical advice. Our little town used to have a doctor who, was always out at the pubs. If he wasn't working he was boozing up. He never had a problem talking about medical stuff. But I guess that's a unique attribute of small town characters.

Oh and the pastor...known to have a few beers, I could always talk to him for fatherly advice if I found him at the pub.

A good pub doesn't have to be a big drunk fest. It just so happens in certain communities the pub is still a common place to do business, exchange ideas and meet eccentric people.

I once met a man who was down on his luck. First we spoke about music and art, counter culture etc...He said come on, I'll buy you a drink...He didn't believe I was only 19 at the time...So we went and had some gin and tonics, the bartender didn't susect. Now after his drunken shenigans I insist on driving him in his car, back safely because he was in no place to get himself home.

The next thing I know he's showing me his glass studio and I'm blowing glass. Now I'm not suggesting the pub is the answer to all of the problems. But the pub is always a place for eccentrics, maybe people down on luck, feeling low, or just want to have a good time.

Therapeutic does don't always have to be so cold and clinical. A simple positive experience at random during the day can brighten the soul. For instance, I was in the store waiting in line a long time. In front of me, a mom and her daughter. The customer had ahead had some very poorly behaved children.

When they left, the daughter said to her mom "Mommy those kids were really poorly behaved" She just laughed and hugged her daughter. It made my day...such a smart kid.

Sometimes you just have to go about living the blues and funk and then lighten up and take in all the good everyday, no matter how trivial the activity such as going to store...But the pub...It's cheap therapy if you've got the right supporting cast :)

That's my story I'm sticking to it.

Return to “The Café”