Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Glassynails hasn't played his guitar in almost 2 weeks

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm
"I also think it's stupid to pay a professional therapist. Just go to a bar and order soda water with lime...talk to somebody random and you will always gain insights."

With all due respect...I'm just going to go ahead and say that talking to a random drun...person in a bar is not equivalent to seeing a good therapist on a regular basis over a period of months. I mean, come on. Would you ask random people in a bar how to best raise your daughter, deal with a sharp pain in your chest, invest your money or play your guitar?
Welcome to Facebook!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 pm
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm
"I also think it's stupid to pay a professional therapist. Just go to a bar and order soda water with lime...talk to somebody random and you will always gain insights."

With all due respect...I'm just going to go ahead and say that talking to a random drun...person in a bar is not equivalent to seeing a good therapist on a regular basis over a period of months. I mean, come on. Would you ask random people in a bar how to best raise your daughter, deal with a sharp pain in your chest, invest your money or play your guitar?
Welcome to Facebook!
I'm one of the last people on earth who isn't on facebook, which is strange because I have a face and I like books. Hey, wanna see a picture of me eating some soup? No?

I understand that it's great for keeping in touch with all the people who'd rather not see me.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 am

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 am

I'm one of the last people on earth who isn't on facebook, which is strange because I have a face and I like books. Hey, wanna see a picture of me eating some soup? No?

I understand that it's great for keeping in touch with all the people who'd rather not see me.
me too ! no facebook for me. :wink:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am

Me too. No facebook, no twitter. Just whatsapp for chatting with friends and family.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 am

Am no ham on instagram, no tweeter on twitter, but use Facebook with family and friends for posting news and WhatsApp for communication with friends and family.

This has nothing to do with glassynails, but without any response the post seems to have taken off in its own direction.
Hauser III 2014!

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Me too! No Facebook, no Twitter, and WhatsApp ran for two days before it upgraded itself and decided my phone was no longer good enough to run it. :roll:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 am

On uncensored forums, people love to rage about FB, but it's just grandstanding (or is it showboating?). FB is what you use it for - I use it to keep in touch with the people I used to enjoy working with, and there are subgroups, such as the Open University or, more specifically, OU Classics. I have had two twitter accounts in the past and closed both without tweeting. The 140-character rule seems designed to prevent anyone from using a logical argument there. But I've noticed on FB that not even people I know with multiple university degrees regard logic as anything more than pedantry.

Glassy is a bit like a FB friend (ex work) I have who initiates provocative threads (e.g. "renting property is more ecologically sound than owning it") and never contributes to them after initiating them and never acknowledges having read any responses, so I think thread-drift is fair game.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 am

IMG_0696.JPG
Does anyone here know if Dormice like tinned rhubarb?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 am
But I've noticed on FB that not even people I know with multiple university degrees regard logic as anything more than pedantry.
Interesting point and I concur.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
On uncensored forums, people love to rage about FB, but it's just grandstanding (or is it showboating?). FB is what you use it for -
Just like a television or telephone. If someone doesn't like to watch tv or talk on the phone is one thing but to not use one or the other simply because of how others may misuse them, would be silly. You never hear anyone say, "I don't talk on the telephone because my teenage kids spend hours gabbing on the phone with their friends... What a waste of time!" or "I don't watch tv at all because the shows my kid watches are boring and childish.". It's what you make of it and a great way to share family photos and keep in touch with close friends. For myself I only have friends in my friends list that I connect with and know in the real world. A good rule is when a birthday reminder pops up, if it isn't someone I would wish happy birthday to and attend a birthday party for, I delete them as a friend (not on their birthday of course, that would just be rude).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm

robin loops wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
On uncensored forums, people love to rage about FB, but it's just grandstanding (or is it showboating?). FB is what you use it for -
Just like a television or telephone. If someone doesn't like to watch tv or talk on the phone is one thing but to not use one or the other simply because of how others may misuse them, would be silly. You never hear anyone say, "I don't talk on the telephone because my teenage kids spend hours gabbing on the phone with their friends... What a waste of time!" or "I don't watch tv at all because the shows my kid watches are boring and childish.". It's what you make of it and a great way to share family photos and keep in touch with close friends. For myself I only have friends in my friends list that I connect with and know in the real world. A good rule is when a birthday reminder pops up, if it isn't someone I would wish happy birthday to and attend a birthday party for, I delete them as a friend (not on their birthday of course, that would just be rude).
I don't use it because it's one less data-mining platform to build a psychological dependence around. Google is already ubiquitous enough and I'd like to get away from that as well.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 pm

ddray wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm
Google is already ubiquitous enough and I'd like to get away from that as well.
I use DuckDuckGo, which claims not to collect or share any of your personal information.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:22 am

"A good rule is when a birthday reminder pops up, if it isn't someone I would wish happy birthday to and attend a birthday party for, I delete them as a friend (not on their birthday of course, that would just be rude)."

I was once stuck paying far too much to a haircutter that I only knew professionally because I didn't want to hurt her feelings by going to someone else that I could afford. My point being, I'm not cut out for facebook relationships.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 am

Glassinails, I can see that you're in an awkward situation. Also I recognize that I've confronted you in the past. Beyond that, though, I feel we're brothers in our love of the guitar.

Perhaps it's time to say something.

Return to “The Café”