Presto Classical

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Presto Classical

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 am

Anyone had dealings with this shop - based in Leamington Spa?

I was about to order from them but something about the way the site worked just triggered a cautionary reaction - I'm not sure why.

It appears to be a real shop with retail premises but - when I made a general search for "music shops in Leamington" it was not listed in the results making me doubly wary.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Presto Classical

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am

Look them up on Streetview? That should show if they exist or are a figment of your imagination after reading too many of Glassy's posts ...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am

good company. been on their email newsletter list for years. good deals, and hard-to-find sheet music.

here's the "shop":

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=7+ ... 6308639701
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 am
…. when I made a general search for "music shops in Leamington" it was not listed in the results making me doubly wary. ...
All that means is that they are not paying for advertising or someone else in Leamington is paying more. Search engines want to sell you to some shops and they sell you to the highest bidder. :-)

I put your search string into www.duckduckgo.com and there was a picture of presto on the first line of the search results. However, I have javascript enabled at the moment so who knows the search engine may have read my browser history before presenting the results. :-)

For what it is worth the shop name rings a bell although I have never looked for it actively - that suggests it has been mentioned here before.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks all - not sure what made me edgy about it but your further delving seems to reveal a real business - I'll go ahead with my order, a Berben item - got to be easier than dealing with Berben directly - inscrutable bunch they are.

Speaking of which:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:a figment of your imagination after reading too many of Glassy's posts ...
Stephen - I have reached the conlusion that Glassy is merely the avatar-like projection of a team of multiversal psychologists. He's the living embodiment of Douglas Adams' intelligent rat - running backwards through the maze, eating the wrong bit of cheese. He can't fool me ...

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 pm

I often visit the shop and can assure you that it is a perfectly genuine business with an excellent reputation. You need have no worries about dealing with them.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm
Stephen - I have reached the conlusion that Glassy is merely the avatar-like projection of a team of multiversal psychologists. He's the living embodiment of Douglas Adams' intelligent rat - running backwards through the maze, eating the wrong bit of cheese. He can't fool me ...
That'll be the one that's experimenting on us then!? Can't imagine what his handlers think of all the daftness he reports back about the goings on hereabouts :(
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Brynmor wrote:I often visit the shop and can assure you that it is a perfectly genuine business with an excellent reputation.
Thanks Brynmor - In fact I already took the plunge - a couple of frivolous Colonna pieces as, health permitting, I'll be sharing a concert with a couple of friends shortly - one of whom, Giulio, is from Brescia - thought I'd surprise him with some Italian fluff.
Stephen Kenyon wrote:That'll be the one that's experimenting on us then!? Can't imagine what his handlers think of all the daftness he reports back about the goings on hereabouts
There's no other explanation - just look at how the tenor of his posts has changed over the years - not to mention the content. Like a child with a bendy stick that's discovered a formicary.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:59 pm

I live in leamington and can confirm it is a real shop haha, been in there before and bought something all legit. never ordered online from there tho, cant see why it wouldnt be fine to order from tho!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi redmcq, welcome to the forum. Could I ask you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 am

I have been buying CDs and MP3 downloads from them for years. Always found them efficient and helpful.

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Return to “The Café”