Classical guitar in Spain

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Whiteagle

Classical guitar in Spain

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 am

I am wondering what role does the classical guitar/flamenco play in spain? Where would you here it played? Would the answer be the same for as for other european cities or is it more predominant? Is the answer different for different parts of Spain?

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Classical guitar in Spain

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am

Whiteagle wrote:Is the answer different for different parts of Spain?
It was some time ago now but I had a Spanish student that claimed never to have seen a "classical" guitar before arriving in England. He was about 50 years old when I first met him and from the Basque region.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:03 am

I heard flamenco in ordinary bars in Spain. I don't know if itbis still as common. (I am oretty old and was there quite a while ago.
Dory

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:39 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am
It was some time ago now but I had a Spanish student that claimed never to have seen a "classical" guitar before arriving in England. He was about 50 years old when I first met him and from the Basque region.
That makes sense. As far as I understand it, that region of Spain has never had much to do with the guitar. As we all know, the home of Flamenco is Andalucia, way down south.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:09 am

I've seen three guitarists in Spain - two were busking the anonymous Romanza on the street (Barcelona and Madrid), and the other (Barcelona) butchered the Aranjuez accompanied by a bloke on a keyboard using the String Section voice. I've never seen a guitarist in Andalucia.

The guitar is not the important element in flamenco; although there is a solo guitar music repertoire, its primary role is to accompany the singer

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
That makes sense. As far as I understand it, that region of Spain has never had much to do with the guitar. As we all know, the home of Flamenco is Andalucia, way down south.
Yes - pipes and drums are the thing there - although this particular student was actually a virtuoso harmonica player.

Catalonia isn't very "guitary" either - their traditional bands are a sort of wind ensemble - to my shame I don't know what the instruments are called but the sound is like an oboe on steroids - not entirely dissimilar to the Breton bombard.

Andalucia's another matter - I spent some time in Jimena de la Frontera and a few other traditional "pueblos blanco" - they all seem to have a tablao. Odd thing is that Jimena's annual festival consisted primarily of "Celtic" music.

One thing is certain - there's a glorious diversity in Spanish tradition - well worth realising when we perform Albéniz' works (for instance) that it's inspired and coloured by far more than just the guitar.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 am

How about where Segovia used to teach in northern Spain with help from count Chigi?
Help!

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:56 am

Flamenco is certainly easy to find in bars in the south. It seems to me that classical guitar has a similar role as in other countries, in that it is normally in a more formal setting and a minority interest. I guess we should check on the Spanish subforum!

Tomorrow, I set off on the looong drive to the Guitar Festival in Ronda, Andalucia. I'll try to remember to ask Paco Seco, who organises the event as well as performing and teaching.

Looking forward to it!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:12 am

I spent a four days working in Grenada a few years ago. The people I was working with could only suggest going to the tourist office to find out about the one or two tourist places for flamenco. None of them knew anything about the 30+ guitar makers there. I did not see any trace of guitar music there apart from the two flamenco places for tourists.

In other places and when I lived there, typically the bulk of the live music I heard is Spanish pop, always way too loud. I did hear a small local group play a Menorcan variant on Hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart. The lyrics where in catalan and making fun of various local things, but way too loud. Galicia is a bit of an exception as in addition to the usual pop stuff they sometimes did "traditional" music with the local pipes.

In Sevilla I did get to hear locals playing flamenco.

bluetoby

Post by bluetoby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm

i live near Alicante i have not seen any classical guitar, bit of flamenco for tourists, rock guitar in bars & thats it.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:40 pm

I lived in Asturias. The traditional music there has a lot of bagpipes and if there is guitar it is accompanying Celtic pieces with singers. (I don't know how traditional that is.) However, I occasionally saw/heard young gypsy boys playing some version of flamenco. I don't remember how good or bad. However, we live in an age of globalization, and I imagine what you hear most often now is international pop played from digital files. I think any type of live music is disappearing these days. I also imagine that even in Spain, classical guitar has always existed mainly in concert halls in firmal presentationsand most people don't go.
Dory

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:24 pm

bluetoby wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm
i live near Alicante i have not seen any classical guitar, bit of flamenco for tourists, rock guitar in bars & thats it.
How close to the real stuff is the "flamenco for tourists"?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Once I lived in a hostel where Malaga University students live and for parties they played on guitars accompaniment to american pop and sing in English..
in Seville near main cathedral I listened classical guitarist who played (busking) violin sonata by Bach (by memory) very well. On local FM radios in Andalucia also was all kind of pop music all the time...there was flamenco in certain places in cafes or bars too.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I just searched for "tablaos in Spain" (flamenco dance companies) and got hits for flamenco in major cities: Seville, Barcelona, Madrid, and some smaller cities I've never heard of. When I spoke with my Spanish language instructors, they said there are restaurants all over those same cities with flamenco performances. As being for the tourists, there is such a fantastic tradition to flamenco, in which the elder performers are honored, I doubt seriously they create the worst thing imaginable : Flamenco for American tourists!

I will research this further as my wife and I will be going to Spain in October of 2018. I want to see the Rodriguez and Ramirez factories. And take in the flamenco as much as possible.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

JCB

Post by JCB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Just came back fro a 9-day tour of Spain (Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla). One of the pleasant surprises was that in both Granada and Sevilla it was not unusual for restaurants to have guitarists play for the patrons. Granada was especially nice - we were at a restaurant directly across from the Alhambra. Beautiful view especially as the sun went down and the lights came up. Then a young man sat down just a couple feet from me and played for about a half hour.

in Sevilla our hotel sometimes had a guitarist perform during breakfast. We also attended a Flamenco performance that was reputed to be quite authentic. Two guitarists, three singers, two male and three female dancers (not all at once!). I was not prepared for the music, it was often very atonal. But the guitarists' musicianship was fantastic.

Return to “The Café”