Paddle board questions

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
montana

Paddle board questions

Post by montana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:37 pm

I would like to buy a board specifically aimed toward getting a core workout while enjoying ocean and lake boarding . Does this activity provide a good core workout? Is there a specific design /material construction that is geared towards this? I'm thinking inflatable , as it probably has more drag in the water. :merci:

kloeten

Re: Paddle board questions

Post by kloeten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Use a (long) surf board I would say. If you are only after a workout, why not swim?

doug

Post by doug » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:21 pm

I tried paddleboarding last summer, and I got a good workout......but it wasn't from paddling......it was from climbing back on every time I fell off.....and from laughing!!! I need a paddleboard about 10 feet wide!!! 😂
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Paddle board is a silly gimmick. I gave paddle board a 15 min try-out and reckoned it was better to stick to things with sails attached. :-)

As Kloeten said, if you want a work-out, swim. When the water is totally flat or with minor little wavelets it is fairly easy and not at all strenuous. Once there are tiny waves (think 10cm-30cm) then it is going to be very difficult. When you start looking at classic waves rolling onto a beach from the ocean you are into surfing with a useless paddle getting in the way.

How about a kayak? You can get inflatable ones that are quite useable both on lakes and the sea. However, again don't underestimate the problem of getting back on board if there are waves. Mountain lakes can be very attractive but for water sports they need to be treated with the utmost respect. You get thermal effects in mountains and a flat lake can get very choppy very quickly when some sort of thermal wind kicks in.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm

I thought you meant corporal punishment. :lol:
Help!

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Paddle boards give a surprisingly very good core workout. Your stomach and back resist the tendency for the board to turn. I've seen a lot of the inflatable ones out on the water and they look stable. If you've ever seen an expert on one in the surf, you wouldn't think it is just a silly gimmick. Plus standing up it is easier to see the sharks circling under you. :D
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm

I took an REI beginner class in paddleboard. I was the only man in a class of about 10, and I was the only one who fell off. Is paddleboard particularly suited for women? Is does seem that more women do it than men.

I realized one mistake as soon as I got on the paddleboard. I wore rubber water shoes with a somewhat rounded bottom. I should have worn flat-bottomed sneakers.

Anyway, it was back to kayaking for me and I haven't done paddleboard since that one try.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 am

Oh. I thought this was going to be about peddleboards.

montana

Post by montana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 am

PeteJ wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 am
Oh. I thought this was going to be about peddleboards.
Non electric site pete...sorry

Return to “The CafĂ©â€