IAT test

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

IAT test

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Has anyone tried one of these IAT (implicit association) tests out of Harvard? They are supposed to measure your underlying assumptions about all sorts of delicate matters. But having just done one I am ASTOUNDED at how the test forces you to associate negative ideas (bad things) with the sensitive objective of the test i.e. are you unconsciously sexist, racist, homophobic etc.
This test appears to me to be an utter nonsense which amazes me when I am told that it is used all around the world by business and government, is highly respected and has had millions ploughed into its construction.
Am I missing something?

If you're curious google IAT and do the one which purports to determine whether you are unconsciously homophobic, which I picked randomly BTW!

lagartija

Re: IAT test

Post by lagartija » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 am

Ok, so I took the test that I believe you took and because I hesitated when forced to associate gay people with bad terms and straight people with good terms (not knowing that they would reverse this pairing later in the test), my result showed me to have a moderate preference for gay people. I was faster at the straight people + bad terms pairing because I had completed the other pairing and realized the nature of the test. In the explanation, they say that the order of pairing is a real effect and that they normalize for this, as well as giving half the people one pairing first and the other half the opposite pairing first. I'm not sure that they really have that normalization correct. Although I am straight, I really have no preference for either gay or straight people... I don't associate who people choose to love with good or bad terms. If they are nice people, that is really what matters, not anything else. The result showing a preference for gay people was my reluctance to be forced to pair people with good or bad terms when grouped in that way.
So... do I really have an implicit bias? Maybe . But I would hate to have my job depend on such a test! I wonder what would happen if I took it again from a different IP address... :-?

This test is measuring reaction times and whether you follow instructions even if you don't like the answer you have to choose.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 am

seven fan braces...right...

double top wrong :)

montana

Post by montana » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 am

Who creates the test. What is their mental state. Are they revered by their peers ? If so they have free reign to do what they want. Strats are good violins. But it's been proven so many times in a blind test they are not the instruments that we conned ourselves into believing they were. All smoke and mirrors. This snake oil **** didn't die at the turn of the century.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 am

lagartija wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 am

This test is measuring reaction times and whether you follow instructions even if you don't like the answer you have to choose.
Ahh, that may have been what I was missing. I think I understand now. Thanks lagartija.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 am
seven fan braces...right...

double top wrong :)
Cross brace hater.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am

As a general rule I assume thse kinds of tests are utter nonsense. No doubt I'm wrong occasionally but it's a pretty safe bet. Sometimes people just don't have enough to do, especially in universities.

PS. Just tried a test. I started with 'weight'. After a few questions I gave up. It seems I just don't fit in their pigeon-holes. Typical for these sorts of things. To paraphrase whoever it was, there's lies, damn lies and sociological surveys.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 am

You can find a fair amount of discussion of IATs by googling Validity of Implicit Association tests.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:23 am

Good idea Pogmoor. The verdict seems to be that it's an interesting idea but hardly a precision instrument and likely to be highly misleading. Business as usual then.

If it test for time elapsed then my timings must confuse the hell out of the system. I spent a lot of time on most questions trying to figure out how I could provide an answer without distorting my my views to fit the questions, and in the end failed miserably.

Return to “The Café”