Taking a girl to a classical music concert as first date. Good idea?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
SegundaLeyDeNewton

Taking a girl to a classical music concert as first date. Good idea?

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm

So i met this beautiful girl at my local gym, we talked a lot, we exchanged phone numbers, and we are talking good. My plan is to take her to the most popular theatre in my city( maybe in the whole country) ,listen to a orchestra concert and then go dinner somewhere near. Do you think that it would be a great place to have a nice first date without awkward silences, etc? This would be the first time i do this. She is like more of a rock girl but she says that she can enjoy classical music.

bear

Re: Taking a girl to a classical music concert as first date. Good idea?

Post by bear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

NO
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

I took my partner (I'm not married because I don't do rituals etc.) to a Julian Bream concert. She fell asleep.
Having said that, I am still with her 20 years later
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

tyke

Post by tyke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I took my partner to a chamber music concert in a small village church for a first date.
We're still together after 9 years (but that's still the only time we've been to church).

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I think it's a great idea and a Litmus test as well.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 pm

bear wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm
NO
Well, that's definitive :lol:

I would say it depends on the program. Long and tedious, absolutely not. Short and accessible, worth a shot.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm

So long as it is not the collected works of Brian Ferneyhough
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:53 pm

I think it would be a good idea, this way she will be exposed to your hobby of playing the classical guitar and you will be able to gage her reaction to classical guitar and music!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 am

Try to find out what the program will be. Prepare her ahead of time by telling her some story about the composer(s) life and why each piece was written. What was the style of music when it was written? How would she recognize the era in which it was written...what characteristics should she listen for? What is it about the piece that people living now (assuming it is not a currently living composer) like enough to listen to it? What do you like about the piece?
What does she hear in a piece of rock music that she likes...what causes her to like a particular piece?
Engage her by finding out what characteristics appeal to her in the music she really likes. Melody? Drama? Lively beat? Chord progression? Lyrics?
Knowing what she likes to hear will give you a way of explaining what is going on in the piece.

Some time ago, as a naive listener, I found that listening to a chamber group playing was more accessible than a full orchestra.
When you listen to a really good chamber group, you can imagine a group of friends sitting in the parlor (or bar!) having a conversation. There isn't as much to take in all at once as there often is in orchestral pieces. In a way, for a naive listener, it isn't as overwhelming a musical experience, and is much more intimate.
You can focus on the individual musicians and how they interact with each other through the music.
It should lead to an interesting dinner conversation later. ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

SegundaLeyDeNewton

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 am

lagartija wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 am
Try to find out what the program will be. Prepare her ahead of time by telling her some story about the composer(s) life and why each piece was written. What was the style of music when it was written? How would she recognize the era in which it was written...what characteristics should she listen for? What is it about the piece that people living now (assuming it is not a currently living composer) like enough to listen to it? What do you like about the piece?
What does she hear in a piece of rock music that she likes...what causes her to like a particular piece?
Engage her by finding out what characteristics appeal to her in the music she really likes. Melody? Drama? Lively beat? Chord progression? Lyrics?
Knowing what she likes to hear will give you a way of explaining what is going on in the piece.

Some time ago, as a naive listener, I found that listening to a chamber group playing was more accessible than a full orchestra.
When you listen to a really good chamber group, you can imagine a group of friends sitting in the parlor (or bar!) having a conversation. There isn't as much to take in all at once as there often is in orchestral pieces. In a way, for a naive listener, it isn't as overwhelming a musical experience, and is much more intimate.
You can focus on the individual musicians and how they interact with each other through the music.
It should lead to an interesting dinner conversation later. ;-)
Excelent advices, mr. Lagartija, i don´t know how old are you but in your college years you must have been the heartbreaker of the campus, as we say in my country "un don Juan" :P

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 am

:lol:
Dona Juana, I'm afraid! I know, difficult to tell with lizards, isn't it? ;-)

But from a woman's perspective, I can assure you that after telling her something about the pieces you will be listening to at the concert, she will be impressed that you ask and want to know what things she likes about pieces of music. It shows that you want to get to know her and not just impress her. :-D
That is an irresistible quality in a man... ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

wyres

Post by wyres » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 am

For a long term relationship She must love classical music and dog. Taking her is good test. Short time, not a long time it does not matter.

SegundaLeyDeNewton

Post by SegundaLeyDeNewton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 am

lagartija wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 am
:lol:
Dona Juana, I'm afraid! I know, difficult to tell with lizards, isn't it? ;-)

But from a woman's perspective, I can assure you that after telling her something about the pieces you will be listening to at the concert, she will be impressed that you ask and want to know what things she likes about pieces of music. It shows that you want to get to know her and not just impress her. :-D
That is an irresistible quality in a man... ;-)
My bad, mrs. Lagartija!. Now this explains the great advice ,señorita Juana.

I´m aiming to apply all of this! the program is the symphony No.9 by Gustav Mahler, i´m just hoping that the background story of this symphony doesn´t get her in a sad mood. Maybe i should not tell her...

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 am

I would say it depends on the girl.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:42 am

Why don't you let her decide what to do? She might prefer a rock concert.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Return to “The Café”