Taking a girl to a classical music concert as first date. Good idea?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
bear

Re: Taking a girl to a classical music concert as first date. Good idea?

Post by bear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 am

Kenbobpdx wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 pm
bear wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm
NO
Well, that's definitive :lol:

I would say it depends on the program. Long and tedious, absolutely not. Short and accessible, worth a shot.
New girl- first date- don't take her to a barbecue until after you're certain she's not a vegan. Find out what she likes and do that.

When my wife and I were dating, I took her to a movie, she liked movies. I don't go to movies and don't pay much attention to them. So, we went to what I thought would be a boy meets girl- boy saves girl- live happily ever after. ROBOCOP. Fortunately, I'm incredibly cute.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

SegundaLeyDeNewton wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 am
lagartija wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 am
:lol:
Dona Juana, I'm afraid! I know, difficult to tell with lizards, isn't it? ;-)

But from a woman's perspective, I can assure you that after telling her something about the pieces you will be listening to at the concert, she will be impressed that you ask and want to know what things she likes about pieces of music. It shows that you want to get to know her and not just impress her. :-D
That is an irresistible quality in a man... ;-)
My bad, mrs. Lagartija!. Now this explains the great advice ,señorita Juana.

I´m aiming to apply all of this! the program is the symphony No.9 by Gustav Mahler, i´m just hoping that the background story of this symphony doesn´t get her in a sad mood. Maybe i should not tell her...
We had very none classical music friends they were into pop/rock/folk. In fact the first classical guitar concert we took them to they asked what the players did for a day job. This was the Aquarelle guitar quartet! They loved it and kept on raving they had never heard anything like it. Now they go to any guitar concerts in the area even if amateur ones. A couple of weeks after the concert my hubby and I were going to hear Mahler live, It was later braodcast on radio 3 and this couple listened to it. We were a little wary about this as Mahler isn't everyone's cup of tea. Anyway they loved it so there are two new recruits to classical music audiences.

Don't worry if she's not used to it. You will find out a lot about her attitude to life from listening to what she says, one thing being is she open to new ideas and prepared to try new things.

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Go ahead. She might love it. But, if it becomes apparent that she doesn't-- have an out. Have some romantic place close by lined up to retire to at intermission as an option. If it seems that that is what you planned for all along, she may find that to be even more impressive, as it makes the evening about her, and not about the concert.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:46 pm

guitareleven wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm
Go ahead. She might love it. But, if it becomes apparent that she doesn't-- have an out. Have some romantic place close by lined up to retire to at intermission as an option. If it seems that that is what you planned for all along, she may find that to be even more impressive, as it makes the evening about her, and not about the concert.
I doubt Mahler 9 will have an intermission. Last time I went they played straight through.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 am
I would say it depends on the girl.
+1
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Love will conquer all
But better to play a serenade yourself

davemall

Post by davemall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm

I wouldn't do this as a first date. If she is bored stiff, you run the risk of her unconsciously associating you with long tedious dates. It would be hard to recover from that. Call me old fashioned but I think a nice fancy restaurant(Don't forget the wine :)) is a better option.

Second date is a different story!

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm

muirtan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:46 pm
guitareleven wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm
I doubt Mahler 9 will have an intermission. Last time I went they played straight through.
I missed that it was to be Mahler, or something like- from the context of the forum, I assumed it was to be a guitar concert.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 pm

I wouldn't recommend a Mahler concert as a first contact with classical music. It takes years to appreciate Mahler's music, so my father taught me. He admitted to me that he only learned to appreciate Mahler after the age of sixty (and he only listened to classical music all his life).
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 pm

I´m aiming to apply all of this! the program is the symphony No.9 by Gustav Mahler, i´m just hoping that the background story of this symphony doesn´t get her in a sad mood. Maybe i should not tell her...
As I'm sure you know, Mahler's 9th is one of the very greatest of orchestral works - with the right orchestra and conductor it can be a very profound experience - one of those symphonies that, after hearing a good live performance, you emerge feeling the world has changed. And that wonderful final slow movement....

Some years ago I took a girl friend, who was open minded but had no experience of classical music, to a BBC Proms concert. The programme was Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No 3 and Shostakovich Symphony No 4 performed by Gergiev and the (then) Kirov Orchestra. I was very nervous about taking her but she was totally electrified and thrilled by the Shostakovich and later I took her to quite a number of Mahler concerts, which she loved. Mind you that wasn't a first date.

Incidentally Clive Gillenson, when he was General Manager of the LSO, said that more people return to the LSO after a first experience of hearing a Shostakovich symphony than with any other composer.

What I am really saying is that IMO people with no knowledge of classical music find it easier to relate to, say, Shostakovich and even Mahler than to, say, Mozart or Brahms.

Go for it. (You can always laugh about it afterwards in any case.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:53 pm
I think it would be a good idea, this way she will be exposed to your hobby of playing the classical guitar and you will be able to gage her reaction to classical guitar and music!
And if she doesn't like it, you can say, "Okay, we did what I like. What would you like to do next time?"

Honestly, don't overthink it. On my first date with my wife, she took me to a Tubes concerts on Halloween night. I thought she was into all kind of kinky stuff. Turns out she got the tickets free because her sister was part of the stage crew and she never heard of the Tubes before that. And she is actually a very level headed and down to Earth person. And she plays classical flute! We have been married for 37 years. I think it's gonna turn out fine for you.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 pm
I wouldn't recommend a Mahler concert as a first contact with classical music. It takes years to appreciate Mahler's music, so my father taught me. He admitted to me that he only learned to appreciate Mahler after the age of sixty (and he only listened to classical music all his life).
Sorry but I don't really agree. For many people Mahler is very accessible, despite the length of his symphonies, because of the sheer emotional impact of the music. Also, a live performance is a totally different kettle of fish, with the 'electricity' generated by the audience, to listening to recordings in one's own home. For example, a live performance of Mahler's Symphony No 2 can be completely overwhelming.

(I got to know and love Mahler in my late teens, went off him for a few decades (too neurotic) then came back to him in recent decades.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm
So i met this beautiful girl at my local gym, we talked a lot, we exchanged phone numbers, and we are talking good. My plan is to take her to the most popular theatre in my city( maybe in the whole country) ,listen to a orchestra concert and then go dinner somewhere near. Do you think that it would be a great place to have a nice first date without awkward silences, etc? This would be the first time i do this. She is like more of a rock girl but she says that she can enjoy classical music.
Two Very Bad Ideas:

1. Taking a girl to a classical music concert as a first date
2. Taking dating advice from members of a classical guitar forum

I appreciate that this post creates a bit of a logical conundrum.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 pm

I am glad that you liked Mahler at an early age, JohnB! A great composer indeed, 'though I hated his music when I was young.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Sounds good. A live Mahler performance isn't just a concert, it's an EVENT. :D I say just be yourself. If she's a loving person, she'll appreciate the gesture and your love of classical music regardless of how she feels about the music.

Return to “The Café”