Day Jobs

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Day Jobs

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am

I was thinking about how my day job used to get in the way of things like regular practice. I did shift work at a local hospital, and used to take a guitar with me to the hospital to get a little practice in on my lunch break. Working 12 to 16 hour shifts made practicing impossible, except for my lunch break.

What is your day job, and how does it affect you time off work? Are you able to practice when you get home if it's not too late in the day? Do you find a way to sneak some guitar in on your breaks? I would leave my guitar in my office and get about a half an hour of practice in on my own time. Coworkers seemed to like it.

eno

Re: Day Jobs

Post by eno » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:48 am

My job is regular 8hr, I keep one silent guitar (cheap) in the car and sometimes play in the car during break time (playing in the car is very uncomfortable though). But mostly my daily practice is 10-11pm when everyone in the family goes to bed and I play my Yamaha silent.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Takamine C136S 1976
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1972
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

henders

Post by henders » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:46 am

I get up early and practice 530 to 630. It's the only way. I don't take a lunch break and evenings I'm just too wiped out. I work in higher ed.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 am

My full-time job is actually a night job, i work 5 pm-2 am Sun-Thurs. I practice in a back room during my lunch hour and rarely get interrupted.

I also teach 1/4 time at a university, and part time at another university. Its not as bad as it seems; I enjoy teaching, and wouldnt be able to do it if i had bankers' hours. It also allows me to be at home during the day to take care of my 2 small kids. They like my playing, and I don't have to ship them off to day care, unless its a teaching day.

If I'm careful, I can fit in another hour + of practice during the day at home. On my teaching days, I can play during office hours, of course.

Sometimes I don't sleep much, but theoretically, i can get 4-5 hrs sleep per night, and another 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon.

This will change in 2 years when my youngest starts school.

The biggest problem is that I don't see my wife that often. (But maybe we appreciate each other more when we do see each other...!) I'm also not able to perform much (performances are usually in the evening) but I can still practice and compose.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I am the Nursing Educator at a prison hospital. The inmates can have musical instruments but the staff cannot because they could be used as a weapon. This is classic police thinking and paranoia.

When I worked at a normal hospital, I practiced on my lunch break just like you do (or did). I'd do all the daily exercises. When I got home, I'd learn new stuff, hone other stuff, etc. In fact, I did music therapy for the patients as part of my work! It was wonderful. Now? Not so much...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 pm

I teach guitar in Schools during the day, so whilst it's not normally music for my show I'm constantly playing

razz

Post by razz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 pm

I keep a Soloette in my office and try to get some practice at lunch. The large university campus where I work has plenty of places to sit and play.
Since I'm typically awake by 5:00am, I have time to practice in the morning before going to work.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 pm

I work as an electrical engineer.. typically I do 8-5 Monday through Thursday and take off early Friday.
Since my working hours are mostly fixed and my commute is not too long, and especially since I don't have any wife or kids to keep me busy at home, I am fortunate to get plenty of time to practice/play... but it's still not enough!!!

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I work in Higher Ed. I usually practice in the evening after my wife goes to bed. Fortunately she is usually hitting bed about 8:30 pm since she has to be at work early.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:04 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 pm
I work as an electrical engineer.. typically I do 8-5 Monday through Thursday and take off early Friday.Since my working hours are mostly fixed and my commute is not too long, and especially since I don't have any wife or kids to keep me busy at home, I am fortunate to get plenty of time to practice/play... but it's still not enough!!!
I worked as a database and Unix system admin in silicon valley. Your statement of 8-5 for an engineer made me laugh. If we ONLY put in 50 hours, we were lucky - it was considered a light week. More like 60-64 hours a week. The job was 7X24 with calls at 02:00 A.M. and the expectation of making the 08:00 A.M. meeting... I loved the work, but hated the job. In many ways, I was thankful for the DotCom crash - it forced me to change careers .. to nursing.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I work 8 to 4:15 as a Software Developer and try to dedicate 1 hour per evening to music generally, with a little more at weekends. That hour includes guitar and sometimes piano, plus theory etc. There's never enough time. I'm recovering from RSI at the moment, which I blame on the day job, so in my case I'd say that my day job has actually wrecked my playing.
2006 James Lister Spruce

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:42 am

I am finally retired but life is still full. I usually get to practice at night (late). Before retirement I was not playing, but it would have been difficult since working for the US Govt involved frequent travel.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:42 am

I am finally retired but life is still full. I usually get to practice at night (late). Before retirement I was not playing, but it would have been difficult since working for the US Govt involved frequent travel.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “The Café”